Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:09 PM

88 posts, read 310,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hey if you are looking for a place where people are rooted, move to Berks county Pennsylvania. 40 years after graduation, most of the people I knew in high school still live within 5 miles of where they lived 40 years ago. Some of them have never been west of the Mississippi. The rooted lifestyle is just too stifling for me. I thrive on changing location from time to time....3 years ago I moved from Virginia Beach to western Colorado.
I am originially from Pittsburgh, PA- born and raised- got out of there when i was 19! No jobs in PA (and that was back in 1990). A lot of PA is run down and depressing looking too. I'm not personally saying that people should live where they are forever- but when you meet people in HR and then they move a year or two later, what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 PM

88 posts, read 310,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafepithecus View Post
This is one of my main issues with the area. I moved here at age 18 (9 years ago) and don't talk to ANYONE I knew when I moved here. They are all gone. And quite frankly this area doesn't seem to have a lot of cool, free-thinking people in the first place (sorry).

I would love to live in DC, but it's the same problem up there, too. People are there for awhile and then move away. Or they move into the suburbs and you never see them anyway.
I guess the solution is to not bother being friends with anyone..lol. As far as "free thinking", it depends on what exactly you mean by that, but I think I know what you mean. I'm 38, married, with no kids. Most people the same age have kids and if you don't, they have nothing else to discuss with you. Example- At a new job a few months ago, a girl in my dept who sat at a table with me and another friend, asked me if I had kids, and I said no, and then she almost "dismissed" me and acted like I wasn't there, and started to talk about children to the girl next to me. That's just plain rude. I guess some people have nothing else to talk about.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
towncentergal wrote:
but when you meet people in HR and then they move a year or two later, what's the point?
Agreed! It's a drag for me too when people I like being around...move away.

The point is: life goes on and new friends come into the picture....eventually.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times
Quote:
ALL 49 posts ( including this one ) in this thread are someones opinion. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly mistaken. IMO, in the grand scheme of things an opinion only with no concrete demographic or income analysis is not all that significant, so I choose to let it roll of my back. So what!
The thread is where you would go if you could leave HR. Stating that this area in general is turning into a rundown ghetto is both immature, and inaccurate. Especially coming from Tel who claims that he offers accurate assessments of HR's workforce and real estate markets, yet makes constant disparaging statements.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
The thread is where you would go if you could leave HR. Stating that this area in general is turning into a rundown ghetto is both immature, and inaccurate. Especially coming from Tel who claims that he offers accurate assessments of HR's workforce and real estate markets, yet makes constant disparaging statements.
I'm sure that most of us agree, that "if" we decided to leave HR, where would we go. If you are knee deep in bills and your credit stinks, you don't have many options, but those who have saved and can retire and make sure they live on what they can afford can just go where they would prefer to without all the hassels.. I totally agree that running down the area opinion wise is just blaming something on what is made up by their own mistakes.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Anyone else feel like this thread lost its way a few pages back? Many of these posts would be better off in the "Why I hate Hampton Roads..." thread.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 AM

43 posts, read 113,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by towncentergal View Post
I know what you mean. I'm 38, married, with no kids. Most people the same age have kids and if you don't, they have nothing else to discuss with you.
Hahah I so know what you mean.. I'm mid 30's, no kids and don't really have any interest in having any any time soon. It's like a I'm a leper. People, including my friends, don't want to talk about anything else but kids. But hey, don't give up.. there are still a few of us out there with something else to talk about.

As for where I'd like to move.. I don't have it narrowed down but I'd like to give someplace in Europe a try for a bit. There are some really interesting cities over there that I think would be a lot of fun to live in for a while.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 AM

If you feel ostracized for not having kids, imagine how strongly ostracized one might be if you attempt to start a discussion about astrology! About the only place in the area where you can do that is the HeritageStore or the A.R.E. Been there, done that. Now if you want to talk about the bible, there will be plenty of ears.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
If you feel ostracized for not having kids, imagine how strongly ostracized one might be if you attempt to start a discussion about astrology! About the only place in the area where you can do that is the HeritageStore or the A.R.E. Been there, done that. Now if you want to talk about the bible, there will be plenty of ears.

To be fair, astrology is a subject that appeals to a minute fraction of the population (maybe 1% generously). Children and the bible are common denominators to well over half the population.

People tend to talk about common denominators. Talking about what Billy is doing is much easier then having a deep and possibly polarizing philosophical conversation (thats assuming the people you are talking to are intellegent enough to formulate any logical opinions).

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Randomdude wrote:
To be fair, astrology is a subject that appeals to a minute fraction of the population (maybe 1% generously).
In my experience, I'd say it's way less than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area