Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahj1102 View Post
What's a general cost for a plane to hop islands? I'd like to spend multiple days on TBI and Maui atleast.
Generally $160/roundtrip unless there is a sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Your willingness to drive a bit makes the choices much wider. If work is at Kona Community Hospital (Kealakekua), you could easily live 20 miles north or south of that.

That would include Kona (Kailua-Kona) to the north, which offers many types of neighborhoods and all the "necessities" such as doctors, stores, etc. And if you decide that driving 45 minutes from work at KCH is OK, you open up the option of Waikoloa Village.

To the south, you will find a more rural lifestyle, and casual living.

Make sure you check with the landlord (or realtor) about high traffic times in the area where you are thinking of moving. And, the employer will definitely know. It is not as bad as it used to be (since the "boom" is over), but there used to be major problems going through Kainaliu ("the Kainalui Crawl) during rush hour. That is because of the 2 lane road.

You sound flexible enough that you'll have an easier time finding a place.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM

756 posts, read 714,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - the good news. The getting to the beach in 30 minutes regardless of any island in Hawaii is the easy part. It would almost be harder if you said - I want to be more than 30 minutes from the beach.

If you really want a rural small town feel without a lot of stoplights and a slower pace - you really should focus on the Big Island. Maui is my personal favorite island and certainly "rural" compared to Oahu - but a couple of things to consider - I'm starting to see a lot of traffic in Kahalui especially during work times and it doesn't lack for stoplights. Sure, it isn't Denver traffic or even Oahu traffic - but its growing. And, tourism is tracking to be a record in 2012 and Maui gets a lot of tourists (tourists mean traffic and on the beach). To be truly rural as you describe on Maui requires you to be somewhat off the beaten path - and getting off the beaten path doesn't give you good commute options to work.

Everything you describe seems much more Big Island rather than Maui.
Please elaborate

Why is Maui your favorite?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
Please elaborate

Why is Maui your favorite?
I'll have to go with a short answer - I just really like the vibe of Maui. The perfect size for me. If I could figure out how to make a decent income in Maui as opposed to Oahu, I'd make the move. I like the beaches, the towns, the tropical feel. Love Kauai - but a bit to small for me. Love Oahu - but a bit to big city for me. I'm not a Big Island fan - when I land in Kona I feel like I've landed on the moon - when I go to Hilo - the rain is to much for me (ok, Big Island lovers - I know there is much more to see and experience, just my preference) - its also a bit to rural for me on the Big Island. For me, Maui is just right.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 PM

756 posts, read 714,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll have to go with a short answer - I just really like the vibe of Maui. The perfect size for me. If I could figure out how to make a decent income in Maui as opposed to Oahu, I'd make the move. I like the beaches, the towns, the tropical feel. Love Kauai - but a bit to small for me. Love Oahu - but a bit to big city for me. I'm not a Big Island fan - when I land in Kona I feel like I've landed on the moon - when I go to Hilo - the rain is to much for me (ok, Big Island lovers - I know there is much more to see and experience, just my preference) - its also a bit to rural for me on the Big Island. For me, Maui is just right.
LOL

Haven't been to Kauai yet ... but tend to agree with you about the other three.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM

56 posts, read 166,269 times
Ok gang, I'm back and need some reassuring of some sort. I'm sitting in a room in Jamaica and hoping things in Hawaii will be different.

We've had this trip scheduled for sometime and 4 days in and I'm ready to get the heck out of here.

We love the beach, ocean, sun, etc. But I'm so ready to get away from this resort for the following reasons....

#1. Always having something planned and having to be somewhere.

#2. Everyone here in such a hurry to be at said places.

#3. People, people, people! Can't dip my toe in the water for someone jumping all over me.

Let me say I understand I am at a resort and this is how things go regardless if you are in Jamaica, Florida, Hawaii, etc.

What I want to know is, are there local beaches that are not overrun by tourist where we can relax and not hear 1000 people screaming simultaneously? Being here this week has only reaffirmed our desire to live in a small town.

And we also found out this week my wife will be working in Maui near Lahaina. This will only be our base for our first visit but I intend to travel the island and continue to take advice on towns to further research on where to live. So other than the rainy side, we will be interested in hearing ideas.

And as mentioned before, we don't mind traveling to markets or grocery stores. Being in the country would be fine with us. Closer to the beach is a plus. Small and simple 2 bedroom house rental.

Does anyone have any reputable rental or real estate agents to recommend?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
How long are you going to be here?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Your in a resort!!

Thats what people do in resorts! If you want a real feel of a place go rent a house that you can afford to by and do the things that you would to in a normal life not a vacation. try go to work drive the drive walk the walk and on the weekend go holoholo and do what the locals do. Then and only then will you decide if you can handle the life here.

Have a nice day
Koa

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahj1102 View Post
What I want to know is, are there local beaches that are not overrun by tourist where we can relax and not hear 1000 people screaming simultaneously?
Ocho Rios?
Frenchman's Cove?
Winfred beach?
Parottee Beach?
Calabash beach?
Doctor cave?
All these don;t have 1,00 people screaming all over you and some can be quite quiet and desolate at times. You may get better answewrs if yuo post this in the international or travel forum as Hawaii and jamacia are pretty far apart.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM

56 posts, read 166,269 times
Yes don't remind me I'm in a resort. My point was that it is reaffirming my desire to not be on crowded beaches.

I guess my question went misunderstood. I'm talking about Hawaii as far as having local and quiet beaches and not them all being tourist locations like the one I'm currently at now.

Not looking for Jamaica info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii