Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 03:36 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times

Advertisements

How can you equate 'old Hawaii' with music based on a reggae beat? Try 'Ku'u Home o Kahalu'u'.

Just sayin, a'ole mo'olelo, a'ole mana'o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
How can you equate 'old Hawaii' with music based on a reggae beat? Try 'Ku'u Home o Kahalu'u'.

Just sayin, a'ole mo'olelo, a'ole mana'o

Henry Kapono Singing, "Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u" - YouTube

Old 08-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We are a nation of laws and freedom. The people of this country are free to elect leaders who agree with whatever agenda anyone prefers. I think that is a good method and I'm not one to judge the motives of corporations nor the ability for them and their shareholders to profit.

Clearly the old way wasn't sustainable in the 21st Century - and we the people need to adapt.
See the problem is, to many people are fooled into associating capitalism as "Democracy". When capitalism is just a form of economics, and Democracy is a form of Government.

Too many people never say anything or argue against corporate greed because then it would be perceived as unpatriotic and they don't want to be viewed that way.

Unsustainable for who whtviper1? Its not like all the citzens of Hawai'i had a vote that said lets decide to raise the cost of living so high in honolulu or oahu so that none of us can really enjoy her, So that big business can make even a bigger profit. cont on nxt post.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:30 PM

cont from above

Your arguement of the people can vote for political canidates who have there view is kind of nieve in a two party election system. Me personally i see both parties as a different side of a same coin. Further the issues we face are so much bigger then one president or handful of political canidates.

I believe that people would agree with me that the current form of politics has never representted or has had the best interest of the whole citzens in mind for awhile now.

If its Democrates or Republicans in the White house, one fact remains the same, that 50-60%+ people are just struggling to pay there basic bills or one paycheck away from poverty. While some people can give each person in this country 25,000 dollars and still be bloody rich.

So i disagree that the many should have to adapt for the few, that isn't democracy.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Nobody is a citizen of Hawaii, lets clear that up first. Cost of living issues are not unique to Hawaii and places like the Bay Area or New York have similar issues.

The residents in the land of free in all of those places have the freedom to live elsewhere if they choose to do so.

Cost of living is driven by supply and demand. Not corporations.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nobody is a citizen of Hawaii, lets clear that up first. Cost of living issues are not unique to Hawaii and places like the Bay Area or New York have similar issues.

The residents in the land of free in all of those places have the freedom to live elsewhere if they choose to do so.

Cost of living is driven by supply and demand. Not corporations.
Let me correct that "the people of Hawai'i then"

Who owns and controls the supply and demands viper?(corperations and big business) If i built a great product that everybody wantted? couldn't i control the supply and demand? By producing lets say 1,000 rather then 1 billion i could justify charge alot more because there is few vs if the market is flooded with product? So yes in business we can control the supply and demand. Further we live in a land of freedom as you put it? Then why can't corporations(like walmart) just say ok instead of making 400 million in profit this year that will goto a few shareholders. cont nt post

Old 08-23-2013, 02:11 PM

cont from above

Pockets, why don't we just say make 300 million in profit give the other 100 million towards paying a real living wage to your employees so they can live life and enjoy Aloha?

Its ok viper, i know its hard to see what im saying is truth when the same system has treatted you well. But the majority it hasnt. Do i think every corporation is bad? No. Do i think every rich person is evil? No. Aloha brah.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM

84 posts, read 83,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Let me correct that "the people of Hawai'i then"

Who owns and controls the supply and demands viper?(corperations and big business) If i built a great product that everybody wantted? couldn't i control the supply and demand? By producing lets say 1,000 rather then 1 billion i could justify charge alot more because there is few vs if the market is flooded with product? So yes in business we can control the supply and demand. Further we live in a land of freedom as you put it? Then why can't corporations(like walmart) just say ok instead of making 400 million in profit this year that will goto a few shareholders. cont nt post
Pardon my intrusion, but I can contain myself no longer.

Nobody owns the supply or the demand, except in exceptional cases, non-of-which apply, in the main, to Hawai'i. We are dealing with free markets - free markets for products, services and labor.

The demand for labor is low, relative the supply of labor. Therefore, you have low wages.

If 15% of the labor force moved out of state seeking greener pastures, wages would go up, but too many people want to live in Paradise, so wages are depressed - not by corporations, but by supply vs demand.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM

84 posts, read 83,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
cont from above

Pockets, why don't we just say make 300 million in profit give the other 100 million towards paying a real living wage to your employees so they can live life and enjoy Aloha?

Its ok viper, i know its hard to see what im saying is truth when the same system has treatted you well. But the majority it hasnt. Do i think every corporation is bad? No. Do i think every rich person is evil? No. Aloha brah.
It is unrealistic to think that an organization established to earn a profit, and for which those who operate it have a solemn obligation to maximize profits for the owners, would forgo 25% of their profits. The world simply doesn't, and never will, work that way.

Are you willing to pay 25% more for a product that the seller is willing to sell it to you for, or take a 25% pay cut?

I didn't think so.

It isn't hard at all for anyone, inccluding viper, to SEE what you are saying. It is impossible, however, for a rational person to agree with what you are saying.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
So let us explore this - we wake up tomorrow and cost of living issues have vanished in Hawaii. Poof, gone. Since cost of living is a deterrent for many people who want to move to Hawaii - where do we put all those newly minted millions of residents? (it is residents of Hawaii by the way).

At the end of day - when one removes housing the cost of living in Hawaii isn't that much different than major mainland cities. Housing prices are not being driven by corporations - they are driven by prices of what people are willing to sell and purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii