Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Also you guys are also overlooking the fact that various forms of 'bro' are quite hip to use these days, especially in my generation - only figures that it would go in and out of fad as well, here on the islands. I've always used forms of 'bro' or 'brah' to share aloha with my kane, and I see no issue with it. Probably people who are older are seeing it used more and more because that's what happens with linguistic trends. Remember the whole 'like' issue back in the late 90s (when I was in high school).

it just so happens the mainland 'bro' coincides with the pretty typical HCE 'brah'. I'm coming from rural Idaho (Pocatello) where various forms of 'bro' or 'brah' are used by mainland dudes not even from Hawaiian. I'm guessing part of it is generational and part of it is trend, whtviper. You may be just on the older edge of the generation and not hearing it, but it's VERY common with guys my age (late 20s-early 30s), not even Hawaiian dudes!

At least that's my point of view
In my generation pidgin Brah was popular in oahu in the 70s and early 80s too. and im 43. I think there are two kinds of ppl in Hawai'i. One has been born there and is local etc, or a person who has lived there awhile and has grasped and embraced the culture and customs. And the other ppl are just liv8ing there and have not change there thinking and act mainland. Just my op no offence anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
I'm sure there are plenty of brah's being throw around Oahu - but I suspect much less so than 20 years ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of brah's being throw around Oahu - but I suspect much less so than 20 years ago.

I think the further you get away from Honolulu the more you hear it per capital and heavier pidgin. Further the higher class you are the less your going to hear brah etc.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 AM

Another thing that would get me back to Hawai'i since i love the hoolah and gorgeous ladies, who else has better? and do i need to say culture culture

2009 Merrie Monarch Women Kahiko Winners - Halau Na Mamo O Puuanahulu - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 AM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
Sorry "brah" I no stay hawaiian, i stay speak pidgin. So I no kea wat you say. All i have to say is no act. Dea is one difference between one katonk stay try reao haad fo be all hadkoa put one non hawaiian in hes place verses pepo in hawaii who no stay act la dat.

das da difference "brah." only one haole-katonk wud try act la dat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart
Hey brah if i met you i would say. E aloha haua o' pehea oe koa kumane- Hemea _ Oielo pa_i_ai pupole maika'i - Hemea kama'aina au no kolohe - Au thiee_he pono ka' o'lelo Hawa_iian' ka' kanaka ` kama'aina cultures - Au aloha pono ka' aina - Au pu'uvai uhane ka' culture - Ko'u tùtù halau au ka' o'lelo Hawa_ian -E' Inua koa - Au hapa haole kanaka(native american indian) kumane mahalo nui loa aloha

My Oielo Hawa_ian rusty, so be patent with grammar brah. Anyway still think im haole visitor? When keike i was fairly fluent. Oh did this in private out of respect so you can save face brah not everone speak o'lelo Hawa_ian.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:58 AM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
In other words,
In Hawaii we try to be humble and not overly talk to the point of being obnoxious. My point was to say in your "private message" was that people in Hawaii, especially those of Hawaiian ancestry would not display themselves in an obnoxious way nor would they shove the fact that they are Hawaiian and you are not in their faces. That is the difference, with one who was raised in the Mainland.

Oh, and for others, I'm not speaking "olelo" by any means thats just pure unclassified, unstructured, unorganized pidgin. Also noone would call a non-local person brah, I never have. I think because if I called a recent transplant "brah" they might either get offended or not understand what you mean by it, so, like in typical local style is to hold our tongue.

I am not Hawaiian, although I was born and raised here. Today most people who call themselves Hawaiians are more of the Caucasian upbringing eliminating themselves from speaking pidgin and associating themselves from the recent past. We say the percent of Hawaiian blood in them is about as much as "in their pinky toe."

What makes of the future of Hawaiians is unknown, but interesting. There are immersion schools that teach the Hawaiian language to children from very young ages thus bridging the gap from generations, where not too long ago people with Hawaiian ancestry were ashamed of themselves, now they are not only proud but they are developing programs and organizations to delve into the past to bring to light their culture.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Also noone would call a non-local person brah, I never have. I think because if I called a recent transplant "brah" they might either get offended or not understand what you mean by it, so, like in typical local style is to hold our tongue.
I only cut a snippet - but your overall post was one of the best I've read on CD.

I go to a place near my house that has a very local group that hangs out there - especially the bartenders and wait staff. Since some of the "brah" started in this forum - I do notice it more often - but it is exchanged among the locals at the place (locals being growing up in Hawaii - not just Hawaiian) - they don't throw around "brah" to me - not because I'm some different "class" - not because I'm going to get offended (I wouldn't) - and that I wouldn't understand it - it is that I didn't grow up here - they engage me in the same conversations - just switch local dialects.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 AM

First off lost_traveler1 no disrespect, I think you misunderstood my motivation. Like i said man no disrespect you have walked into here and said all these things in public, but do you even know what i said to you? i said this.

Hello how are you?, warrior brother, your pidgin crazy good. Your local i no trouble maker. I respect honor the hawaaiian lang, natives, locals. I love and respect the lands. I heart and spirit the culture. My aunt schooled i o'lelo hawai'i. Brother i thank you very much.

Does that sound like this?

ost_traveler1 Is brudda waltah still in Portland? Does he still jam there?

hawaiian by heart Iim not sure who your talking about brah? Im not familiar with the local music scene.

lost_traveler1: Bruddah Walter is from Hawaii "Brah." And has since moved to Portland after retiring from the "hawaiian" music industry.

Ho cuz if you stay true to da kine Hawaiian stylee buu, den you stay know who da buu Bruddah Walter is, "Brah".......hoo cuz no try stay go act too loco kine brah, or you going get small kine all lepo cramps la' dat' buu.

buu, I know you stay get all no can stay wait fo you come cruze la dat and den put laulau on da feet den slap kulolo on da fohed and walk around asking eh like wan luau, like wan luau, small kine lolo stay la dat eh cuz, caz we no you stay like try fo act like you from waianae la dat brah...

Which basicly says hey you faker your no local stop pretending.

No offense my kama'aina brah but maybe you need to be humble? Also i never claimed to be Kanaka Maoil(native hawai'ian), kanaka is the word for native which i use because there is no word for Native American Indian., which im native american, 2nd not once have i said I am better then anyone unless some punk is very disrepectful, then ya i set them in there place(honor respect). Third: i assume that you have only read a few posts? And assumed i do this to get ego or be a big man? No i share the culture because i love and want to preserve it and help ppl who want to go to Hawai'i learn that there is a wonderful native and locol culture. that isnt the mainland and needs to be imaiana(cared for). .

If you read my blog and other post u will see that. I explained why i call myself hawaiian at heart. 4th I was born also in Hawai'i and spent a forth of my life there. 5th. The reason i didnt know bruddah Walter is because i dont follow raggia, the only raggia i listen to is sudden rush, fiji. I listen more to bruddah iz, gabby p, etc. So brah why you giving me beef for sharing the culture? Why are u not? Since you lived there all your life?

Maybe Instead of worrying who is locol or not or who is a faker?. Ive been away from home for 20+ years and i remember this much of the culture. Can you imagine some ones knowledge who has lived there all there life in Hawaii? Why no thread brah? on pidgin, or hula, or obake talk story or ono grinds or celebrations or locol culture, places to see etc?

When i came here i was just happy doing my blog and not talking to anyone. But after deciding to come out of my cave, i noticed that most of the threads on Hawai'i was just about money, moving etc or arguments on what is haole? no mention of anything else, no wonder haoles are ignorant, and disrespectful or hurt the aina etc, because we no teach anything or we worried who is locol or not (ego).i thought i could help? i didnt even talk to anyone for awhile but watched and listened.

I agree with you that steps have been made to save the native lang, but so much native and locol culture is gone and cant be replaced. Oh further, no i am not rubbing it in, if someone asked me, instead of assuming i would of told them. Why i talk my weak pidgin or o'lelo hawai'ian a lot or too much is because i almost lost everything from being in the mainland so long and not using it. I have not spoken pidgin nor hawaii'an in ten+years. So what u dont use you lost believe me i have lost a lot. further im still learning there are some guys better then i at it and i ssk there help oometimes.

Lastly in my blog and once in awhile i share that i know this or that. In my blog i have, but this wasn't to be better then you it was to relate. And if you really knew me outside of this computer, you would know im a humble man, i help the communities ohanas etc. I really dont like the english lang because most native american indian lang dont have the word i in them. Brah im showing you even more respect by explaining myself in hopes that this is all a misunderstanding? Please don't take my kindness and Aloha as weakness. Friend.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM

oh and by the way i also still have a 1/4 inch gap between my toes from wearing slippa

Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
oh and by the way i also still have a 1/4 inch gap between my toes from wearing slippa

Originally Posted by lost_traveler1
Also noone would call a non-local person brah, I never have. I think because if I called a recent transplant "brah" they might either get offended or not understand what you mean by it, so, like in typical local style is to hold our tongue.

Uhmm man you missed that, maybe your tiired man or something? In order be a local you have to be born in Hawai'i and raised or Be From Olld Generational Local Ohana. Dude a transplant is not new will never be new except to the local., A transplant is a person not born in Hawaii but has lived there for a good period of time like years and can even be a lifetime. Your talking about a Malihini or tourist. You can live in Hawai'i for a few years and still be Malihini. so i do not agree, i think the sooner you expose ppl to local and native culture u save them a lot of culture shock and heartaches. some even believe you cant be a transplant or local iintell you embrace the culture and we are not talking just pidgin. Oh dude hmmm, How can you be local and not know that about transplants thats like local 101 damn man ive been gone for 20+ year and i knew that, you sure your local and not a faker(lol sorry brah couldnt resist) Na we all make mistakes, we cant remember everything.. So man where you from snd who you know(Another 101) I see your from Honolulu? I have ohana there and waipahu, and other areas. Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii