Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

I don't know what Oahu you are talking about. There is a huge skateboarding park 5 blocks from my house and I guarantee less people skateboard now with more parks available than 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sigh - all you keep doing is trying to impose your belief system on Hawaii of glory days are so much better. Sometimes you need to just let things go and live in the present - you'd likely be happier. Obviously, progress and the present has won over this emotional attachment of the past - if the past was so great - nothing would have changed. The world is meant to evolve and the present is how it has evolved.
Omg is that what u think? Wow viper and do you think that the changes for so called progress was made by popular vote or even better? Hawai'i is the most expensive place to live even more expensive now then in the 70s or 80, 90s. Im sure that was because of popular demand of the majority of Hawai'i citizens or in there best interest? And of course in the name of progress and evolution? But whos progress or evolution are we talking about?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know what Oahu you are talking about. There is a huge skateboarding park 5 blocks from my house and I guarantee less people skateboard now with more parks available than 20 years ago.
The skateboarded park i was talking about is here in oregon, i just used it as an example of the point i was making, not to be taken as evidence in our conversation or topic or argument. Further, it was 6yrs ago. Further did anyone really skateboard in oahu 20 years ago? Surfing was it back then, im not sure its the same now?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:17 PM

The world is moving forward. Not backwards. You will always be frustrated in life for a past that will never exist again. Make the best of the here and now.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
The world is moving forward. Not backwards. You will always be frustrated in life for a past that will never exist again. Make the best of the here and now.
I don't disagree with what your saying about living in the moment and making the best out of it, most of us do, including myself. I have a business and a ohana in the present. But a culture or society that doesn't learn from the past is doomed to repeat the past or rot away from the inside like past empires have. Enough said.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 PM

Aloha,

I think what would bring me back home to Hawai'i is when we realise that money isn't the most important thing, truthfully and honestly no holding punches, my opinion the problem with Hawai'i is simple, too many people are profiting over the benift of all. Why look to a past thats gone to find answers? To remind ourselves of what life was like and to remind us that its possible.

As we know currently Hawai'i is simply the most expensive place to live in the country. Even higher then New York City in someways. But theres money here, otherwise why would Hawai'i be so expensive if they couldn't get away with the prices? But we can't pay Hawai'i employees a livable wage nor fund our schools to be competitive in education standards. WHAT? in the most expensive place to live in the country? We should have the best schools, highest wages etc. Heres what i think. Some one is taking advantage of peoples Aloha.

Continued on next post.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Continued from above

When we talk of looking to the past, for answers, we have always got to be honest. Hawai'i has always been expensive, but the difference is back just in the 70s-80s people had time to enjoy Hawai'i and ohana. Now i hear people work 2-3 jobs to live basic means and can't even enjoy Hawai'i unless your rich of well off.

We can never go back to reclaim or live in old times, because its gone. Further it wasnt the material things of the past that was important, but the feelings that these unique experiences gave us.

In the past it was an easier slower time, perfect balance to fall in love with Hawai'i. This love affair is about attitude and thinking, but almost too hard to grasp when going 100mph to pay the bills and exist.

What is the solution? is to accept that things have changed? We can't live in the past but we can still have the love and magic that we had in the past. All we have to do is say enough as a group of citzens and take action.

Continued on next post

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 08-22-2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 PM

Continued from above posts

Profits and big business has it place, profit is good and just for efforts made, but when profits become more important then people or the whole it becomes distructive. Enough Said

Mahalo Aloha

Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 PM

We are a nation of laws and freedom. The people of this country are free to elect leaders who agree with whatever agenda anyone prefers. I think that is a good method and I'm not one to judge the motives of corporations nor the ability for them and their shareholders to profit.

Clearly the old way wasn't sustainable in the 21st Century - and we the people need to adapt.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Heres a gift of Aloha to you Viper. Come to the darkside viper, resistance is futile. lol

Bruddah Waltah - "Good Old Days" (ft. Ryan Hiraoka) - YouTube

Aloha to you braddha from a different mother and father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii