Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,503,625 times

Advertisements

Returning to the topic, I found this article in the new Hawai's section on Huffpost titled "Why Hawai'i Is the Most Liberal State in the Country."

Quote:
The party that turned "Self Deportation" from a liberal comedy skit into a policy platform and presidential primary litmus test has limited brand favorability ratings here. So much so that Republicans often hide their party affiliation to get elected. That last "Republican Wave" that swept the country never made it to Hawai'i's shores.

Why Hawaii Is the Most Liberal State in the Country | Frank DeGiacomo
Republicans have "limited brand favorability ratings here." I think that says a lot.

As to why that is so, I look to the first half of the last century, when Republicans ran the state, representing the moneyed interests, who fought attempts to organize labor on the plantations and on the docks by playing racial groups against each other. And those different racial groups still carry a grudge in the form of a deep cultural distrust of the Republican "brand."

To those who think history is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the present, I think this is a good example of how significant historical factors can become deeply embedded in a culture, long after the events that created them are forgotten in the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,151,382 times
Hawaii is too diverse to like rebubbaclins as they want everyone in lock step with their religion/beliefs/cultural values. Hawaii is too caring, laid back and tolerant.

Very true about republicans having the power and not sharing anything while Hawaii was territory. Unions played a big role in uniting people into the Democratic Party. For a hundred years, planters would switch imported labor ethnic groups generationally to prevent workers from being united and gaining power. The unions were the force that united workers and got them to stand together regardless of ethnic group/heritage.

The Japanese Americans coming back to Hawaii after WWWII were another chunk of the Democratic Party, primarily because they were not welcome in the Republican Party which was almost straight haole.

Basically the Republican Party was limited to powerful haole interests - the big five and related businesses, other businessmen not associated with the big five were not needed or welcome in the Republican Party. The way the republicans got their canditates elected was bad as well, making workers on a plantation vote republican if they wanted to keep their job.

Hawaii was not created democratic, progressive or liberal, it evolved to being progressive and liberal, from the people, diversity and a desire to do the right thing.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Had Hawaii not been mostly Republican in 1959 it may have not become the 50th state at that time. When Alaska was admitted, it was mostly democratic and there was a quick push to bring in Hawaii as a balance. Read all about it near gate 17 at the Maui airport.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 AM

129 posts, read 390,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
In your mind perhaps, but your posts definitely put you squarely in the liberal camp.

There ain't no freaking camp!

Auwe, I get sooooo tired of stupid political typecasting!!!!! Every time people start to discuss some issue or idea, along come the "team players" and start labeling people, and putting words in their mouth, cocksure they know all about them on all issues, because some jackass on the radio says so.

I don't know how any healthy person can stand those arrogant guys on the radio who bellyache constantly about the freaking straw dogs they make up. I don't like listening to arrogant people playing "let's you and him fight". Like a bunch of cheap lounge lizards, making a living by getting people to hate each other. I don't understand how a person can be attracted to these troublemakers.

It's bull****, and they do nothing but harm.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
I don't know how any healthy person can stand those arrogant guys on the radio who bellyache constantly about the freaking straw dogs they make up. I don't like listening to arrogant people playing "let's you and him fight". Like a bunch of cheap lounge lizards, making a living by getting people to hate each other. I don't understand how a person can be attracted to these troublemakers.

It's bull****, and they do nothing but harm.
Oh come on, that is so over the top - whether you like left or right - or don't - just change the channel.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,824,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
I don't know how any healthy person can stand those arrogant guys on the radio who bellyache constantly about the freaking straw dogs they make up.
Sadly, politics these days is about entertaining the extremists on both sides and keeping the money coming in.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,777,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Sadly, politics these days is about entertaining the extremists on both sides and keeping the money coming in.
Aloha ya i agree, i perceive that a problem with current politics is we kind of lost any moderates to balance both the extremes(left,right) no middle ground anymore. Mahalo for your posts.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Aloha, Howzit?

Did you know Born in Hawaii, Barack Obama is the only president electted from outside the continental United States? First in the country

Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,151,382 times
First president born in the state of Hawaii! Hopefully not the last.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Mahalo for your great posts and opinions. Does anyone else like to share there opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii