Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We recently had a 2 term republican Governor. So kind of hard to be the most liberal.

[URL="http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Lingle"]Linda Lingle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

Republican does not necessareily imply Conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
No Medical Marijuana dispensaries. Not liberal in this regard. Even Montana has dispensaries.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Conservatives are generaly for the status quo and not fixing things that aren't broken.
Quote:
We know what "works", for it worked so spendidly that we, this little upstart of a collection of colonies in the "new world" grew, prospered and became the single greatest force for good the world has ever known, and did so in the space of a few short centuries.
According to that logic, I'm pretty sure the 'conservatives' would been for staying as a colony of England. They would have been against cars, engines, 'progress'. They would have preferred to stop almost anywhere they could have, anywhere along the way, and just regress.

I see it the opposite of you. People who are the innovators are not 'let's not do anything ever' types. Change comes from innovation, which is what happened with the U.S., when it was great.

Now there are so many types who against almost everything....that we're watching Asia doing everything and becoming economically powerful. The U.S. can't even get support to build simple things, it's going stone age on us.

--

Bringing this back to Hawaii again. I don't see Hawaii as liberal or progressive or conservative or republican. It's something totally different, and it's unfortunately stuck in the weird paradigm that makes up U.S. politics.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-25-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Thanks for your opinions, My point was Hawai'i has had some firsts, and hes lead the country in new ideals. Is there anymore besides being the first for gay unions and universal health care?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM

23 posts, read 53,618 times
Liberal is such a broad definition these days that I find this question nearly impossible to answer.

Someone brought up gay marriage as a defining factor. I don't think that works. Gay marriage is legal in my home state of Iowa. Would any of you think of Iowa and say "Yeah, that's a liberal state"? Most wouldn't. Would you consider California liberal? Because (I believe, as Prop 8 is still being reviewed) gay marriage isn't legal there. Would you say that Iowa is more liberal than California? Most people (at least the ones that even know Iowa exists) would say you'd be crazy by saying that.

Politically is the same. On a national level, Hawaii tends to go Democrat (liberal in the basic sense). But as was mentioned, recently had a two term Republican governor (not liberal, in the basic, political sense).

I think in a broad, basic, loosely defined sense, most would call Hawaii "liberal" compared to the average state. But I think you'd have to be more specific on what liberals you're asking for.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Quote:
Republican does not necessareily imply Conservative.
No arguments here

Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Hawaii is pro-labor union and that is politically liberal. You can not do your own plumbing or electrical work. You are required by law to hire a very expensive union plumber or electrician.

Hawaii requires employers to provide health insurance for any employee who works 20 hours or more. That's liberal. That also keeps the unemployment numbers high because it is too expensive to hire full time workers.

Liberals feel the good of society comes ahead of the rights of the individual, and Hawaii has their Ohana culture, which basically says the same thing.

Hawaii is very heavily taxed and not much given back to the taxpayers because welfare costs are so heavy. That's politically liberal.

Things like gay marriage are social tolerance issues, not political issues and are neither conservative nor liberal. Since many conservatives believe the rights of the individual come ahead of the rights of the masses, they are live and let live and they will acknowledge the rights of homosexuals to be married. Don't confuse the religious right with conservative. Not the same thing at all. There are both liberals and conservatives that support gay marriage; the issue does not divide along party lines.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
Hawaii is liberal, maybe not as progressive as some states but definitely more liberal than everything but the coasts. Hawaii has voted consistently democratic since it became a state and the republicans were/are the party of the haole and big 5 landowners. Hawaii has stood with unions and working folks since statehood. There are no proposed laws the have vaginal probes included in them, Hawaii does not have a war on women, nor a governor that breaks or wants to break every union and find ways to avoid Obamacare and Hawaii cares about its environment.

It does have its share of nuts that want to print their own money or break away form the US.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
According to that logic, I'm pretty sure the 'conservatives' would been for staying as a colony of England. They would have been against cars, engines, 'progress'. They would have preferred to stop almost anywhere they could have, anywhere along the way, and just regress.

I see it the opposite of you. People who are the innovators are not 'let's not do anything ever' types. Change comes from innovation, which is what happened with the U.S., when it was great.

Now there are so many types who against almost everything....that we're watching Asia doing everything and becoming economically powerful. The U.S. can't even get support to build simple things, it's going stone age on us.

--

Bringing this back to Hawaii again. I don't see Hawaii as liberal or progressive or conservative or republican. It's something totally different, and it's unfortunately stuck in the weird paradigm that makes up U.S. politics.
Nothing like going overboard, eh!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
I'm surprised to be reading all these pro-union posts - I bet the Hawaii State Teachers Association would really disagree with you considering the multi-year fight they just had with the state. We have the same unions you find on the mainland (police, fire, teachers, hotel, airline)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii