Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 04:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
The US should start doing this.... everyone that looks like Obama is labeled as taliban... what are their human issues? Iraq and Afghanistan " Yankee Go Home"

Is anyone else wondering if Hawaiian By Heart and Kawena are the same person with two accounts?

Anyways, I see people that look similar to President Obama all the time. I've never thought anything other than there is a fellow human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
When I think about this further - it doesn't matter if OpenD writes 50 more paragraphs on the subject. He wasn't there. I wasn't there. Jonah wasn't there. There was no television camera to capture this unfold. Everybody is dead from that era - every single one of them. It doesn't matter what happened then. What matters is the here and now.

The bigger shame is some people can't move on from the past and continue to waste time and money on a subject that has been decided - and nothing will change that. Nothing. It makes for a history lesson - that's all. Living in the past doesn't do any good.

Not being able to accept the present is very destructive.
That's a very Buddhist way of thinking (e.g. "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."). Unfortunately, Christian missionaries managed to get to and influence Hawai'i long before the Buddhists.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's a very Buddhist way of thinking (e.g. "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.").
I've never really looked into Buddhism...but they seem to be on the right track.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And all the churning of past history keeps obscuring the simple truth of the here and now:
However, the "simple truth" can be viewed in different ways...

Quote:
1. Hawai'i is one of the 50 United States of America.
Hawaiʻi is the only state that was an independent nation for over half a century.

Quote:
2. The US Constitution is the supreme rule of law for the country... the entire country.
The U.S. Constitution is capable of being "amended" to rectify "historical wrongs" (e.g. "slavery," "voting rights," etc.).

Quote:
3. An attempted vote by only the kanaka maoli people would be unlawful and unconstitutional, so it couldn't change anything.
As long as Federal and State of Hawaiʻi funds aren't involved, kānaka maoli can vote for anything they wish.

Quote:
4. A majority vote to leave the United State, conducted among all the citizens of Hawai'i, would only serve as a petition to Congress, nothing more.
It's pointless for kānaka maoli to allow all of the U.S. citizens in Hawaiʻi to vote on Hawaiian sovereignty.

Quote:
5. Only an Act of the US Congress, signed by the US President, can change the legal status of Hawai'i.
That's only under U.S. law. Under international law, the UN's "International Court of Justice" can change the "legal status" of Hawaiʻi. However, the UN would have difficulty in enforcing a judgement against the United States as The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America (1986) illustrated.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I've never really looked into Buddhism...but they seem to be on the right track.
It didn't exactly work out that well for the Japanese militarists during World War II.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It didn't exactly work out that well for the Japanese militarists during World War II.
Fortunately, I'm not a Japanese Militarist - nor do they seem to have a dog in the hunt of the Hawaii Sovereignty movement

Here is some sound advice from good ole Buddha himself: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned"

Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Fortunately, I'm not a Japanese Militarist - nor do they seem to have a dog in the hunt of the Hawaii Sovereignty movement
I guess that you aren't familiar with the history of the Ryūkyū Kingdom and Okinawa and the argument for Okinawan independence. Whatever happens with the Hawaiian sovereignty movement has potential implications for Okinawan sovereignty and the U.S. military bases located in Okinawa and Japan.

Quote:
Here is some sound advice from good ole Buddha himself: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned"
Too bad the Buddhists that committed acts of war and violence didn't realize that.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I guess that you aren't familiar with the history of the Ryūkyū Kingdom and Okinawa and the argument for Okinawan independence. Whatever happens with the Hawaiian sovereignty movement has potential implications for Okinawan sovereignty and the U.S. military bases located in Okinawa and Japan.

That would be a correct guess Although, I'm certain I know what will happen with the "Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement" - therefore, I don't see a lot of implications for Okinawa.

Another Buddha gem: "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger"

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Is anyone else wondering if Hawaiian By Heart and Kawena are the same person with two accounts?

Anyways, I see people that look similar to President Obama all the time. I've never thought anything other than there is a fellow human being.
I was thinking da same wit you and viper? (joke)

Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
False riches, consisting of money, houses and lands, acquired by selfish means at cost to others and thereafter used selfishly, are almost always used for the oppression of other persons.
Joseph Franklin Rutherford

It is often easier to become outraged by injustice half a world away than by oppression and discrimination half a block from home.
Carl T. Rowan

The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

To hold a people in oppression you have to convince them first that they are supposed to be oppressed.
John Henrik Clarke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii