Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I can appreciate that you're respecting the law but I can tell you with 100% certainty the minority of the returning residents are following the quarantine requirements. I'm not by any means condoning this but this is what I see.
I continue to suspect the minority of returning residents are following quarantine, but they do continue to be arrested.

1 was obviously just doing blatant stupid stuff - the other at the park with his son.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ry-quarantine/

Deputy sheriffs initially arrested Michael J. “Kilohana” Danner, 61, of Kaneohe on June 18 at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu after he refused to complete a mandatory travel form and order for self-quarantine.

Investigators with the Department of the Attorney General said Danner then posted statements on social media, saying he was going to defy the state’s quarantine laws and not abide by them. He also posted his activities on his wife’s social media accounts.

Special agents making quarantine checks found Darrel A.S. Ramirez, 29, of Mililani, on June 26 at a park with his son. He turned himself in three days later, and was arrested, booked and charged. His bail was also set at $2,000.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:34 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Seems like standard police deterrence efforts to me. Out of 10 cars on the road - catch 1 speeder so 3 other drivers don't speed, while the 6 others keep speeding.

$2000 bail is fine, but why not issue a $2000 ticket at the same time? That way, they'll bail out and pay the ticket at the same time. Arrest and bail isn't that strong a deterrent because they'll get the bail money back, so will literally owe nothing unless the court chooses to hear the case and issue a fine (which they may skip out on)

Old 07-01-2020, 11:45 AM

The tourism industry appears to be betting big on the Aug 1 reopening - despite no clearance from the State on how people will get tested prior to arrival to avoid quarantine.

Noticed today United Airlines resumes service to Maui and the Big Island this month - and in August resuming service to Lihue and Hilo, and hub flights to SFO, LAX, DEN ,IAH, and ORD. Depending on frequency, likely will make UA once again the dominant Hawaii/Mainland carrier. Haven't seen the other carriers plans.

All the Marriott portfolio of hotels (Marriott, Westin, Courtyard, Ritz, etc....) appear to be bookable in August. Haven't checked the Hilton's/Hyatt's, etc.....

Should be interesting.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
^
HAL resuming all routes as well.

My guess is that travel will show relatively strong demand, at least initially. I know there's a lot of pent up business and personal travel.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post

My guess is that travel will show relatively strong demand, at least initially. I know there's a lot of pent up business and personal travel.
Maybe, but I'm hearing it is difficult getting tested on the mainland - I'd be wary of investing my money on airline tickets and hotel without more clarity on a plan.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:37 PM

It is so hard watching this train wreck....

Honolulu mayor: ‘I am concerned’ about reopening tourism on Aug. 1

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...g-tourism-aug/

Old 07-06-2020, 05:38 PM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
If nobody can find testing with 72hr results then this plan is dead before it starts. Where I am you can only get positive results that fast. If negative it takes up to a week for results. And CVS won't test unless you're showing symptoms.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
And CVS won't test unless you're showing symptoms.
There are other criteria - such as working at a group home, first responder, live in a nursing home, that'll get you a test - but if you don't list symptoms, don't list any of the stuff above or some of the other criteria, CVS gives a blunt answer when you submit - you do not qualify for testing at this time.

I find it hard to believe that they'll add a "Are you going to Hawaii" criteria to allow you to test anytime soon.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Alaska is finding very few cases of the virus with airport testing of inbound travelers.

There are at least a couple hundred tourists arriving in the state daily, no doubt, based on numbers I've heard from the supervisor of testing here at JNU airport.

We've been open for what, almost a couple months now?

Yes, cases have picked up in the state but it's almost entirely due to reckless behavior from locals. The bars and strip clubs up in the interior of the state have been identified as sites of virus spread.

Several seasonal workers in the seafood industry have also tested positive.

Locally here in SE we haven't had any increase in the virus so far, despite more tourists arriving. We're at practically zero and hope it will stay that way.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:36 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Do you think he is wrong to be concerned?
I can see the argument that you weigh the risks, but should still open despite the concerns.

I am not sure what the criticism is for showing concern given how the numbers are exploding like they are on the mainland.

You seem like a very reasonable individual, so I am assuming you don't think it is all a hoax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii