Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Nobody knows the exact number - but scientists widely believe it is higher than 0.1% - and with no vaccine the numbers get very high very quickly. Even 0.5% in large numbers is a lot. Covid 19 in the United States, in less than 2 months, has killed more people than an average flu season over 6 months - and that was with stay at home order.

With that said - I've resigned myself to getting it (or may have, I came home fairly sick from Vegas in late Feb) - and I'd like to see more things open sooner rather than later. Tourists - no. When Disney opens, Vegas, West Coast - for at least 2-3 weeks, then is the time to discuss.
I think our worst flu season was 2018 where 80,000 people died. Say 200,000 people die from this virus. Was it worth living in fear and shutting down our way of life?

Old 04-28-2020, 08:26 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
When Disney opens, Vegas, West Coast - for at least 2-3 weeks, then is the time to discuss.
Disney not opening this year, or so I've read. Vegas and West Coast, my guess is that they will be opening fairly soon with some restrictions.

At that time, what would you be interested in discussing?

It will be interesting to see how Premier Ige approaches this.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:32 PM

My mind is blown how people are so easily willing to surrender their liberty. The slightest bit of fear and panic and gone; that simple. Wow!

Old 04-28-2020, 09:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
My mind is blown how people are so easily willing to surrender their liberty. The slightest bit of fear and panic and gone; that simple. Wow!
My mind is blown how people (like you) are so easily willing to surrender their LIFE. Aside from boredom and minor inconveniences (TP shortage?), this had not been insurmountable for many Americans compared to the loss of their lives (and yeah, I lost my job).
I am perfectly willing to wait on the sidelines while doctors discover viable treatments.

Clearly you have become convinced that this novel virus is "about" equal to the annual flu. If that was the case, NYC should be melting down every year like it is this year. Obviously this is far worse.

I keep reading threads by RWNJs who think this entire thing is a hoax to bring down Trump. Yeah right, the WHOLE WORLD colluded to destroy the economy and kill thousands just to get rid of Trump. Pretty narcissistic!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 04-28-2020 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
My mind is blown how people (like you) are so easily willing to surrender their LIFE. Aside from boredom and minor inconveniences (TP shortage?), this had not been insurmountable for many Americans compared to the loss of their lives (and yeah, I lost my job).
I am perfectly willing to wait on the sidelines while doctors discover viable treatments.

Clearly you have become convinced that this novel virus is "about" equal to the annual flu. If that was the case, NYC should be melting down every year like it is this year. Obviously this is far worse.

I keep reading threads by RWNJs who think this entire thing is a hoax to bring down Trump. Yeah right, the WHOLE WORLD colluded to destroy the economy and kill thousands just to get rid of Trump. Pretty narcissistic!
Who said I’m willing to surrender my life? I’m living my life and I’m not going to live it in fear. You are easily surrendering your liberty out of fear.

Hospitals were overwhelmed in 2018 in California and New York because of the flu. No one batted an eye.

Has nothing to do with Trump. He’s gone in four years at the most. But in those four years he sure can expose a lot. Look how much of the swamp he has exposed in 3 years.

You’re not the least bit curious shutting down our nation for a virus no more deadlier than the seasonal flu? It’s unprecedented.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 04-28-2020 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Has nothing to do with Trump. Geez. He’s gone at most in four years. I feel bad for you.
No need to feel bad for me. I'm a happy guy with few worries and I live in Maui.

You are the one who is overwrought about this virus. Feel bad for yourself!

Old 04-28-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
No need to feel bad for me. I'm a happy guy with few worries and I live in Maui.

You are the one who is overwrought about this virus. Feel bad for yourself!
Come back to me when the food supply ends.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Let’s say the antibody tests come back and say it’s 3 times worse than the flu. Let’s says 500,000 people die in our nation because of this. That’s a very high number. Yet that number pales in comparison to heart related deaths a year.
About 645,000 die in the US every year from Heart Disease - so, 500,000 doesn't "pale in comparison". If this is 3 times worse than flu - it isn't like you multiply a flu season times 3 - there is no vaccine. There is no current treatment.

With that said - If Hawaii cases continue in the 0-2 per day - I'd start opening things back up for residents. Quite frankly - if we could stop arrivals in its entirety - we could open up everything except tourism.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Disney not opening this year, or so I've read. Vegas and West Coast, my guess is that they will be opening fairly soon with some restrictions.

At that time, what would you be interested in discussing?

It will be interesting to see how Premier Ige approaches this.
There is speculation from financial analysts they won't open this year - Disney hasn't said anything. Fun fact - Disneyland gets almost twice as many visitors in a year than the entire state of Hawaii

If California and Nevada don't open to tourism - I see absolutely no point in Hawaii taking the lead. The experiment Georgia, Oklahoma, and Texas soon opening up will telegraph if cases spike.

Have California and Nevada open - have them raise their hands it went fine - and I see us opening. I see no scenario we open to tourism and they don't

Newsom in California is already stating he can see the school year potentially starting in July - the pressure is real.

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-28-2020 at 10:58 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Who said I’m willing to surrender my life? I’m living my life and I’m not going to live it in fear. You are easily surrendering your liberty out of fear.

Hospitals were overwhelmed in 2018 in California and New York because of the flu. No one batted an eye.

Has nothing to do with Trump. He’s gone in four years at the most.
But in those four years he sure can expose a lot. Look how much of the swamp he has exposed in 3 years.

You’re not the least bit curious shutting down our nation for a virus no more deadlier than the seasonal flu? It’s unprecedented.
When I first replied to this post it was one sentence long. Are you finished yet?

I've followed this thread (mostly out of boredom) and noticed, early on, that you are one of the vast group of "Trump interpreters" who try to rewrite history every time Trump says something stupid.

He sure stuck his foot in it when he talked about injecting disinfectants. Immediately you and many others claimed he didn't even say it. Dude, we all watched it live on TV. Then, after all of his minions tried to interpret "what he really meant", he finally came back a day later and claimed he was "being sarcastic". Yeah right!

Meanwhile I'm not living in fear. Aside from missing my awesome job, the biggest "liberty" I've had to surrender is sitting on my favorite beach after swimming. Fortunately, I live right on my second favorite beach so I go downstairs and straight into the ocean. Life is great!

Hope life gets better for you, you seem really stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii