Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 05:12 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times

Advertisements

Of course, 14 Hawaiian Airlines stewards testing positive for Covid in Honolulu isn’t going to help people feel safe traveling. And does the state plan to require regular testing of airline crew before the leave the plane ? And if they are positive, what do you do with all the passengers that just landed with their 72 hour old test ?

https://www.ktvu.com/news/14-hawaiia...e-for-covid-19

Old 07-07-2020, 05:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
And does the state plan to require regular testing of airline crew before the leave the plane ?
What are you going to do, make them sleep on the plane while they wait 24 hours for result?

Anyway, I suspect the Aug 1 reopening will be pushed to Sept 1 - it'll be interesting, not a good way, what that does to local businesses.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:43 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What are you going to do, make them sleep on the plane while they wait 24 hours for result?.
I’m simply pointing out loopholes in the publicized plan that I havent heard mentioned. I think it shows no matter how hard they try, there is going to be more Covid brought into the State and in the end, if you want to open the economy you pretty much just need to plan to ride out the storm. Because it only takes a few to begin the spread and it snowballs from there.

I think the 14 positive Hawaiian Airline stewards are just a sign of things to come.

I’ve pretty much resigned myself that our country is heading fast into “ride out the storm” territory, until a vaccine is ready.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

I’ve pretty much resigned myself that our country is heading fast into “ride out the storm” territory, until a vaccine is ready.
A vaccine is not a magic bullet - flu vaccines are typically 40-60% effective and a Covid vaccine will probably land in that space. They are also projecting the vaccine effectiveness may only last a year.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/covid-19-v...ry?id=71333281

Old 07-07-2020, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 14,335 times
Interesting read in The Lancet regarding herd immunity in Spain just published.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...483-5/fulltext

Despite the high impact of COVID-19 in Spain, prevalence estimates remain low and are clearly insufficient to provide herd immunity. This cannot be achieved without accepting the collateral damage of many deaths in the susceptible population and overburdening of health systems. In this situation, social distance measures and efforts to identify and isolate new cases and their contacts are imperative for future epidemic control.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:17 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
I’m curious, how screwed is Hawaii? What was the most recent worst economic hit to Hawaii? Was 2008 bad? Will this be worse?

Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m curious, how screwed is Hawaii? What was the most recent worst economic hit to Hawaii? Was 2008 bad? Will this be worse?
this is far worse than 2008, 9-11, or any other crisis. economy is largely tourism driving, and has never dropped to these levels, ever.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
2008 was very bad.

However, this is so much worse to the point they aren't even comparable. Unemployment is higher than Hawaii saw in the Great Depression - and certainly higher than the Great Recession and post 9/11.

There are some differences - there was no CARES act equivalent in the Great Recession - you didn't have rent moratoriums - foreclosure delays - and Hawaii had a decent rainy day fund going into this year (although, it is essentially all gone now, so - hopefully no hurricane or stuff like that).

So, the train is still on the tracks - running a 100 mph towards a cliff with no bridge - and nobody working on the bridge.

The rent moratoriums will end. Foreclosures will begin. Businesses will be shutting down at a rapid rate. The money will run out.

This is an "even if" situation. Even if a real plan existed for Covid testing before arrival and tourists arrived - this will still end up being far worse than the Great Recession. Tourism with social distancing (hotels/bars/restaurants/tours, etc) with limited capacity is not a sustainable business model.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:14 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
2008 was very bad.

However, this is so much worse to the point they aren't even comparable. Unemployment is higher than Hawaii saw in the Great Depression - and certainly higher than the Great Recession and post 9/11.

There are some differences - there was no CARES act equivalent in the Great Recession - you didn't have rent moratoriums - foreclosure delays - and Hawaii had a decent rainy day fund going into this year (although, it is essentially all gone now, so - hopefully no hurricane or stuff like that).

So, the train is still on the tracks - running a 100 mph towards a cliff with no bridge - and nobody working on the bridge.

The rent moratoriums will end. Foreclosures will begin. Businesses will be shutting down at a rapid rate. The money will run out.

This is an "even if" situation. Even if a real plan existed for Covid testing before arrival and tourists arrived - this will still end up being far worse than the Great Recession. Tourism with social distancing (hotels/bars/restaurants/tours, etc) with limited capacity is not a sustainable business model.
Basically, this state is screwed and will look like a Third World nation in no time. It’s funny, I see people posting on FB about being self sufficient and to grow your own food, produce your own power, hunt and fish your own food. Hawaii has survived like that for thousands of years and can survive like that again. I’m not sure how that protects the ohana and Kupuna. So the 1.4 million people who live here are just going to produce their own food and hunt and fish their own food?

Old 07-08-2020, 12:28 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Basically, this state is screwed and will look like a Third World nation in no time. It’s funny, I see people posting on FB about being self sufficient and to grow your own food, produce your own power, hunt and fish your own food. Hawaii has survived like that for thousands of years and can survive like that again. I’m not sure how that protects the ohana and Kupuna. So the 1.4 million people who live here are just going to produce their own food and hunt and fish their own food?
Man, you sure have a propensity to jump straight to dystopian scenarios don’t you? Comon, you’ve been around a while, and worked in a tough business. Look at history. Ancient to present. Even just in your lifetime. Do you see humanity figuring out ways to deal with crises, other than going subsistence Mad-Max? Or not ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii