Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 12:32 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Man, you sure have a propensity to jump straight to dystopian scenarios don’t you? Comon, you’ve been around a while, and worked in a tough business. Look at history. Ancient to present. Even just in your lifetime. Do you see humanity figuring out ways to deal with crises, other than going subsistence Mad-Max? Or not ...
I think you like me.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 PM

Has humanity been able to deal with crisis? Is all of humanity dealing with crisis now? Have you been to any of the Third World nations? Take a drive through any ghetto, it’s not a humanitarian utopia. You tell me what Hawaii will look like without any economy? Your worldview is quite small.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
So the 1.4 million people who live here are just going to produce their own food and hunt and fish their own food?
Unless you have a boat, many folks will be disappointed with the offerings you can catch from shore - but sure, you can catch fish.

Food stamp use was ridiculously high in Hawaii pre Covid, it will become the new normal for a lot of people.

Fortunately for the State, food stamps are a federal program

Quote:
Have you been to any of the Third World nations?
I've been to a couple and Hawaii will not become "third world" - much of what makes a "third world" country in my observation is infrastructure/utilities, as in lack of access to clean water, etc.....

Old 07-08-2020, 01:26 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
I think you like me.
I don’t dislike you . Of course, that statement is a double negative. Then again, yeah, we’re all good

Old 07-08-2020, 01:36 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Has humanity been able to deal with crisis? Is all of humanity dealing with crisis now? Have you been to any of the Third World nations? Take a drive through any ghetto, it’s not a humanitarian utopia. You tell me what Hawaii will look like without any economy? Your worldview is quite small.
Slipped your mind that I served overseas for years? SE Asia. Vietnam. Stationed in the Philippines too (crossed the Sh*t River into Olongapo town a bazillion times ... threw coins into the water floating with visible sewage, for the local kids to dive after ... look it up for a view of “third world”).

Been to Hong Kong and various locales in Japan repeatedly, as well.

Spent a good chunk of my youth in Detroit, for that matter

And, for perspective to that history, I lived in Hawaii in the military (and sorta some since) for years. Plus hometown St. Paul, MN. San Francisco Bay Area for years. San Diego, same. And the serene San Juan Islands of Washington State for many summers (where I’m “sheltering in place” right now).

That’s a fair stretch of geography and culture for having a “narrow world view”.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:38 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Yippee we're all gonna die. hahaha

Old 07-08-2020, 04:23 PM

And, the hits keep coming:

Hawaii’s coronavirus testing capability to be reduced in half after mainland company cuts off supplies

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ier-cuts-ties/

One of Hawaii’s largest COVID-19 testing laboratories has been cut off from its mainland supplier of chemicals needed to continue to run tests locally due to a surge in coronavirus cases across the country.

That means the state’s testing capacity has been cut in half to about 2,500 tests per day from 5,000, said Dr. Scott Miscovich, who is leading broad testing efforts across the islands.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:28 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And, the hits keep coming:

Hawaii’s coronavirus testing capability to be reduced in half after mainland company cuts off supplies

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ier-cuts-ties/

One of Hawaii’s largest COVID-19 testing laboratories has been cut off from its mainland supplier of chemicals needed to continue to run tests locally due to a surge in coronavirus cases across the country.

That means the state’s testing capacity has been cut in half to about 2,500 tests per day from 5,000, said Dr. Scott Miscovich, who is leading broad testing efforts across the islands.

Well, I got the answer to a the question I posed yesterday. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a wake up call, and it's not good news by any stretch.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:56 PM

As mainland cases surge, City Council asks state to ‘consider’ delaying changes to travel restrictions

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-restrictions/

It really isn't a matter if it will be delayed - but when they announce. Quite frankly, better to announce now so hotels/airlines/potential visitors, etc can unwind plans.

I've resigned myself to knowing my Vegas trip won't happen in August.

What they should do: Have test on arrival for returning residents as a pilot in August. Get a sense of the numbers for a Sept or Oct reopening or whatever is left standing by then

Old 07-08-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Slipped your mind that I served overseas for years? SE Asia. Vietnam. Stationed in the Philippines too (crossed the Sh*t River into Olongapo town a bazillion times ... threw coins into the water floating with visible sewage, for the local kids to dive after ... look it up for a view of “third world”).

Been to Hong Kong and various locales in Japan repeatedly, as well.

Spent a good chunk of my youth in Detroit, for that matter

And, for perspective to that history, I lived in Hawaii in the military (and sorta some since) for years. Plus hometown St. Paul, MN. San Francisco Bay Area for years. San Diego, same. And the serene San Juan Islands of Washington State for many summers (where I’m “sheltering in place” right now).

That’s a fair stretch of geography and culture for having a “narrow world view”.
Then you should know humanity isn’t always capable of pulling out of crisis. There are ****holes all around the world where life is quite miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii