Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2021, 10:35 AM

451 posts, read 411,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
How much you had to drink tonight at the VFW tonight?
Taking a cheap swipe at a fellow veteran? Did it make you feel powerful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 11:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Once again, we see how pointless it is to try to change the mindset of someone unhinged.

Years ago, the Republican Party embraced the Religious Right in their attempt to bolster sagging numbers. The Faustian Bargain they struck ultimately led to the Balkanization of the traditional party and gave right-wing nutjobs some new-found legitimacy. (We are seeing an example of that right here.) This also created the conditions that led to the rise of Trump. Hopefully, that will never happen again.

In spite of being the only state not reopened (for a year now ) we are being inundated by visitors. Maui is especially bad. The drive from the West side to Kahului now takes more than an hour even when no accidents block the highway.

The Honolulu news today is talking about efforts to mitigate this. Maui's mayor has asked airlines to reduce their number of flights. In spite of a huge rental car shortage visitors keep coming. The agent who handles most of the rentals in my building is booked up for the next year.

We are also having an unusually high number of visitors from the East Coast who normally go the the Caribbean or Mexico. Some have expressed fears about Covid-19 medical care available there.

The sooner the rest of the world reopens to tourists, the sooner we will return to some semblance of normalcy.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 06-27-2021 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 06-27-2021, 11:35 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Hey, Tulemutt. You Marxist idiot, I have my VA healthcare card in my wallet. Do you think it will get me entry into
the Honolulu VFW?
Haha … if you served in American conflict on foreign soil you can join the VFW … if you didn’t serve in overseas conflict, but served stateside or foreign soil in peacetime you can join the American Legion instead and still drink away your afternoons … and if you were disabled in service at home or abroad you can join the the DAV, but they don’t have clubs with bars so gotta just drink at home. Lol

I belong to all three *hic* … (I do, but actually quit drinking when I was in my 30s )

Old 06-27-2021, 11:56 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
People who die from cancer or heart disease typically have comorbidities too. Those pedestrians getting picked off by cars? Gee, if only they didn't have the comorbidity of poor situational awareness or being slow on their feet, they'd be alive now.

Almost half the country has the comorbidity of being overweight.

If your comment is made for the purpose of diminishing the impact of Covid then it's a failure. If it's intention is to encourage others to improve their health, I'm on board for that.
The vast majority of people who died of Covid have two or more severe comorbidities. Healthy people under the age 65 years old Covid didn’t have a significant impact. If you were healthy and over 65, covid is much less lethal.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:57 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Just inquiring due to you suggesting Trump should be institutionalized and living in caves is a better life. After all, you do live in San Francisco. Cesspools are cleaner. Outside Democrat run cities are quite pleasant to live.
Um no. I have lived in SF at several points in my past, but last moved away over five years ago … to a rotation between San Diego, Morro Bay (CA), and the San Juan Islands (WA). Plus still visits to Hawaii. Used to keep a sailboat in Pearl Harbor for my extended stays … but sold that about eight or more years back I think it was.

Much of my post military years (and some while in service) I lived aboard small, primitive-ish, old sailboats. From about 64 sq ft space up to maybe double that when I had family to raise. How you might get me living in wealthy, white enclaves is a mystery. But then so are many of the other conclusions you draw about various things.

To broad brush SF as a “cesspool” is to demonstrate ignorance of the city. Parts are filthy. Many other parts are simply delightful and quite clean.
Quote:
I had always thought you lived on a boat in the San Juan Islands. Which if correct, sounds
truly idyllic.
Summers are. Yes. I bought a cabin on an island in Puget Sound for my second wife who taught college level there … so also stayed a lot with her. She also traveled with me in van and lived aboard the boats part time between semesters and during summer … she passed away this last winter (I am 2x a widower), so I am presently living and renovating the cabin for a rental. Will give to one son for an income property and get back to my peripatetic lifestyle now I am single and Covid is looking controlled.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Taking a cheap swipe at a fellow veteran? Did it make you feel powerful?
Hmm, seems you ignore the cheap swipes at me in regards to my former profession.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I and others must be a Marxist idiot because I live in Hawai'i or post on this forum? White places in Hawai'i? You have no idea what you are talking about. Once again.
I didn’t say that. I post and did live in Hawaii and I’m not a Marxist. I stated many who post on this forum are Marxist idiots. Of you voted for Biden, you’re a Marxist. The reason you are a Marxist is because Biden is a Marxist.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:12 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
I didn’t say that. I post and did live in Hawaii and I’m not a Marxist. I stated many who post on this forum are Marxist idiots. Of you voted for Biden, you’re a Marxist. The reason you are a Marxist is because Biden is a Marxist.
Deductive reasoning at it's finest! Non-Marxists were apparently prohibited from voting for Biden.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 06-27-2021 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 06-27-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Hey, Tulemutt. You Marxist idiot, I have my VA healthcare card in my wallet. Do you think it will get me entry into
the Honolulu VFW?
I never called Tulemutte a Marxist. He is apolitical. He just happens to not like Trump because he believes Trump should be institutionalized based on zero evidence of Trump having a mental illness. It’s not like Trump called all Latinos illegal and threatened to nuke American citizens as Biden had.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I do? Where do you think I live?
I know you live in The Peoples Republic of California and you lived in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii