Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2021, 01:54 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Never happen. It is always someone else's fault.
Finally someone has acknowledged that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 02:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Those two sentences together makes no sense. It couldn't have been that important if you moved without a position.

If teaching is important to her - you secure the job before arrival. Plenty of teachers do that. It isn't really more complicated than that. Get the job. Move. As opposed to move and hope for the best. Hope is not a strategy. When I go to Vegas - I hope I win the World Series of Poker. So far, that has not been an effective strategy.

Now if you said, It was important we move to Hawaii and it would be nice to get a teaching position. Later, priorities changed and getting a teaching position became more important than living in Hawaii. I could actually buy into those sentences.

I could even buy into - I forced the move onto her thinking she would definitely get a position. I assured her it would happen. I made a mistake.
When I moved here 7 years ago, I had no idea there was a teacher shortage and had vague plans to sub.

Bored after 6 months of retirement, I applied.

During my interview, I was surprised by an offer of a permanent job. Every year since, I have been offered full-time positions, including for the coming year.

I have taken several jobs that lasted for an entire semester and I earn more daily than some new teachers.

Tentatively, I have accepted a job for the coming semester and will probably work for a few more years.

Teaching is great here. If my pay was cut to 25% I would still go!

Old 06-28-2021, 02:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
I made a mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Never happen. It is always someone else's fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Finally someone has acknowledged that!
Looks like we are all on the same page.

Must be because we are "Marxist idiots".

Last edited by Futuremauian; 06-28-2021 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Punctuation repair

Old 06-28-2021, 02:56 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
When I moved here 7 years ago, I had no idea there was a teacher shortage and had vague plans to sub.

During my interview, I was surprised by an offer of a permanent job. Every year since, I have been offered full-time positions, including for the coming year.

I have taken several jobs that lasted for an entire semester and I earn more daily than some new teachers.

Tentatively, I have accepted a job for the coming semester and will probably work for a few more years.

Your experience pretty much answers any question about whether the officer’s wife was simply a victim of COVID hiring hiatus, eh?

Old 06-28-2021, 05:00 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,770 times
Quote:
The entire state is one school district. If no one would hire her on the Big Island, it's unlikely they would hire her on another island. There would be a record of her interviews attached to her file. She also sent an angry letter to the District Office which would be attached as well.

I only know of one other credentialed teacher not being hired here. He is a nice guy and I'm sure, harmless, but he is bat$hit crazy. He substitutes instead.

We probably won't ever know why his wife wasn't hired. I suspect it had something to do with her Conservative social media accounts, but that's just my guess.
My wife sent a letter? When? What did it say?

She doesn’t post anything political and if she did, her account is set to private. For a school to not hire due to your political leanings is disgraceful and unlawful.

I assure you, my wife is sane and mentally intact. Are you? Seems you’re confused often.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Those two sentences together makes no sense. It couldn't have been that important if you moved without a position.

If teaching is important to her - you secure the job before arrival. Plenty of teachers do that. It isn't really more complicated than that. Get the job. Move. As opposed to move and hope for the best. Hope is not a strategy. When I go to Vegas - I hope I win the World Series of Poker. So far, that has not been an effective strategy.

Now if you said, It was important we move to Hawaii and it would be nice to get a teaching position. Later, priorities changed and getting a teaching position became more important than living in Hawaii. I could actually buy into those sentences.

I could even buy into - I forced the move onto her thinking she would definitely get a position. I assured her it would happen. I made a mistake.
I have already explained this ad nauseam. Hawaii doesn’t begin interviewing out of state Hawaii licensed teachers until the end of May beginning of June due to union rules. By then, most teachers on the mainland have to make a decision whether or not to renew their contract. Out of courtesy to the school my wife was employed at, she have them notice in April that she would not be returning. Most teachers that transfer from the mainland are stuck in this predicament.

We thought she would get a position. She did start getting cold feet in fearing covid may be an issue, but when she called the DOE they explained to her that they are hiring core subject teachers and they need to fill open positions. We took their word. Lesson learned.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post

For a school to not hire due to your political leanings is disgraceful and unlawful.
While true for public employees in California - I'm not aware of such a statute in Hawaii, you have a source for that?

Essentially in all 50 states, private employers can discriminate based on political views, it is not a protected class.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
I never formed an opinion regarding your love for Hawai'i, and yep, you confirmed what I wrote, the gamble was moving to Hawai'i without your wife first securing a job.

Your story should be a cautionary one to those considering a move to Hawai'i.

Once again, one of the primary benefits of this MB is to help advise and answer questions people have who are interested in relocating to Hawai'i. Perhaps you could do an autopsy on your move and point out how and where things might have gone better for the benefit of others considering a future move.

BTW, too bad your wife didn't broaden the search. You might still be here, however as you wrote,
'it is what it is'.
Can’t force doors open that God keeps closed. So Yes, it is what it is. We for whatever reason was meant to be in Hawaii for the period of time we were there. Might not always understand God’s plan, but I trust in it.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-28-2021 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I’m confused. Subbing and full time position are two completely different systems of hiring. How did you apply to sub and then offered a full time position year after year without applying for a full time position?

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-28-2021 at 05:28 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Looks like we are all on the same page.

Must be because we are "Marxist idiots".
You might not be a Marxist, but you’re rude and condescending. You automatically came to the most rude of conclusions why my wife wasn’t offered a teaching position with having no evidence in coming to that conclusion. In my neck of the woods, we call that person an azzhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii