Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 11:20 AM

451 posts, read 411,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you show up at Duke's at 3:30pm, you might get lucky to be put on a list for a seat at the bar at 6:30pm
I can certainly believe it. We've been going to restaurants out in the neighborhoods (only occasionally venture into Waikiki), but we have found it is still difficult to impossible to get a same day rez at the
better places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 11:20 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
I haven't driven to a beach in months due to overcrowded parking. Instead, I swim in the ocean daily in front of my condo.

Lately, tourists have been illegally parking in our lot and setting up beach gear on the lawn. Police were here yesterday and a trespasser told the police that they PAID to come to Maui, so they had the right to be here!

We aren't Disneyland!

Old 06-29-2021, 11:28 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Sheesh … good news for me: I don’t do restaurants hardly ever Too bad for the returning tourists. I’d never return if I had to conform to prescriptive tourism venues. A bit hard to understand why these folks didn’t research conditions before they bought their tickets and reserved rooms.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A bit hard to understand why these folks didn’t research conditions before they bought their tickets and reserved rooms.
Agree - but on the other hand 49 states are fully open. It isn't unreasonable for people to think by now - Hawaii would also be fully open.

Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one without an appointment - it is time to open.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Agree - but on the other hand 49 states are fully open. It isn't unreasonable for people to think by now - Hawaii would also be fully open.

Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one without an appointment - it is time to open.
If people thought much - about things in general - I guess …

That mused, if you’re going to spend thousands on a vacation, ya really ought to confirm conditions.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:40 AM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
Sheesh … good news for me: I don’t do restaurants hardly ever Too bad for the returning tourists. I’d never return if I had to conform to prescriptive tourism venues. A bit hard to understand why these folks didn’t research conditions before they bought their tickets and reserved rooms.
The nice thing is we have so many alternatives to restaurants, i.e., okazuya and bento shops, poke counters in the grocery stores, and the such. You can skip the wait and expense of restaurants, but like you stated, it takes some research and willingness to leave one's comfort zone when traveling.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It's not just Hawaii. I'm setting up a trip to California, Las Vegas, Bryce Canyon, and Zion, Utah in September.

Months ago, I reserved an SUV for $675 for 11 days, That has since risen as high as $2,000.

I booked a comped room at the Venetian but noticed that a room at the Motel 6 on Tropicana Blvd. is over $500 per night.

Motels in Springdale Utah are 89% booked for our dates. (One motel is charging $1200 per nite.) After trying for 2 weeks, I finally landed a canceled room at a 3-star for $250 per night.

Next up is securing shuttle tickets for Zion. Tickets go on sale August 16 for the whole month of September. They sell out in 10 minutes.

This is more work than setting up a tour to Russia!

Old 06-29-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It's not just Hawaii. I'm setting up a trip to California, Las Vegas, Bryce Canyon, and Zion, Utah in September.

Months ago, I reserved an SUV for $675 for 11 days, That has since risen as high as $2,000.

I booked a comped room at the Venetian but noticed that a room at the Motel 6 on Tropicana Blvd. is over $500 per night.

Motels in Springdale Utah are 89% booked for our dates. (One motel is charging $1200 per nite.) After trying for 2 weeks, I finally landed a canceled room at a 3-star for $250 per night.

Next up is securing shuttle tickets for Zion. Tickets go on sale August 16 for the whole month of September. They sell out in 10 minutes.

This is more work than setting up a tour to Russia!
Holy crap! I know I’m odd, and cheap. But those prices are beyond mindboggling. Lol. My last 10 week stay in Hawaii was 2019, before the pandemic hit. Cost me about $250 a week for van and camping … but not including air fare (because I fly free military standby). I keep old van and gear stored on base all year.

Mainland, I travel a LOT. In van and on boat. That one $500 night at Motel 6 would get me a month. And I don’t drink or gamble or go to shows, so … just hike, bike, swim, paddle, sail, fish …

Old 06-29-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Holy crap! I know I’m odd, and cheap. But those prices are beyond mindboggling. Lol. My last 10 week stay in Hawaii was 2019, before the pandemic hit. Cost me about $250 a week for van and camping … but not including air fare (because I fly free military standby). I keep old van and gear stored on base all year.

Mainland, I travel a LOT. In van and on boat. That one $500 night at Motel 6 would get me a month. And I don’t drink or gamble or go to shows, so … just hike, bike, swim, paddle, sail, fish …
That's cool that you can still store a vehicle on the base.

Usually after Labor Day weekend, travel prices drop. That doesn't seem to be happening this year.

I haven't booked our air tickets yet and hope to catch a sale when I do. I'm expecting to pay $250-350 R/T, Coach . I may be in for another shock! I would like to fly United so we can access their lounge at LAX on the way back, but I'm not picky as long as it's a non-stop daytime flight, both directions. I usually end up on American.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
That's cool that you can still store a vehicle on the base.

Usually after Labor Day weekend, travel prices drop. That doesn't seem to be happening this year.

I haven't booked our air tickets yet and hope to catch a sale when I do. I'm expecting to pay $250-350 R/T, Coach . I may be in for another shock! I would like to fly United so we can access their lounge at LAX on the way back, but I'm not picky as long as it's a non-stop daytime flight, both directions. I usually end up on American.
Happy trails Watch yur wallet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii