Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You have never been in unrelenting 10/10 pain. If you had been you would not say that.
I'm referring to teens getting their wisdom teeth out. OXY should never be handed out for that. I am really lucky. No Dr. has ever given me a higher level of pain med than I needed. And if they did, it was number of milligrams and I would say no, give me the 5's, not the 10's. I know they can be cut, but I'm cutting the 5's already.

Someone gave me part of an oxy once saying it was the same as my hydrocodone. It was NOT. AT ALL. LIKE. my hydrocodone.

I understand people with much higher pain (and a higher tolerance to drugs than me). I stipulated already in this thread and illustrated the case of my mother who did need Oxy and couldn't get it.

But I am talking about the other end.

I don't think a lot of posters responding understand why there is a war on Oxy. Because Purdue is waging a war on us and they have to be fought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 12:03 PM

Marketing records made public for the first time show the opioid maker was repeatedly warned about addiction and fatalities—but focused on telling doctors how to profit from it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-am...drug-oxycontin

Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm referring to teens getting their wisdom teeth out. OXY should never be handed out for that. I am really lucky. No Dr. has ever given me a higher level of pain med than I needed. And if they did, it was number of milligrams and I would say no, give me the 5's, not the 10's. I know they can be cut, but I'm cutting the 5's already.

Someone gave me part of an oxy once saying it was the same as my hydrocodone. It was NOT. AT ALL. LIKE. my hydrocodone.

I understand people with much higher pain (and a higher tolerance to drugs than me). I stipulated already in this thread and illustrated the case of my mother who did need Oxy and couldn't get it.

But I am talking about the other end.

I don't think a lot of posters responding understand why there is a war on Oxy. Because Purdue is waging a war on us and they have to be fought.
I agree, sorry I thought you were saying no one needed it ever.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:11 PM

Too old to include what Purdue has been up to lately, but I enjoy tuning into JO on this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdPrQFjo2o

Old 09-26-2018, 03:29 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Did you need OXY? I'm not saying that pain from wisdom teeth never rises to the level of needing something more than an NSAID. I am saying no one needs OXY.

I had my wisdom teeth out at age 21 in 1981 and thankfully, as it turns out, was prescribed oxycodone (percocet)..... Turns out, that one of them had to be broken up before they could get it out of the socket......

I think a lot of people confuse oxycodone (percocet) with oxycontin.... Oxycontin is oxycodone reformulated into a time release formula and was heavily promoted to doctors as not being addictive like oxycodone and hydrocodone were.....

Thing is, they were wrong.....

the time release reformulation was also supposed to make the opiate itself far more resistant to impossible to abuse......

Thing is, they were wrong about THAT, too......

Old 09-26-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I had my wisdom teeth out at age 21 in 1981 and thankfully, as it turns out, was prescribed oxycodone (percocet)..... Turns out, that one of them had to be broken up before they could get it out of the socket......

I think a lot of people confuse oxycodone (percocet) with oxycontin.... Oxycontin is oxycodone reformulated into a time release formula and was heavily promoted to doctors as not being addictive like oxycodone and hydrocodone were.....

Thing is, they were wrong.....

the time release reformulation was also supposed to make the opiate itself far more resistant to impossible to abuse......

Thing is, they were wrong about THAT, too......
I think percocet is also too strong for wisdom teeth removal. But I do appreciate what you explained here.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
More likely "someone" knew they were worth $5-$10 PER PILL on the street. <bold>
Right - to feed someone's addiction.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here is how it works where I live. New prescriptions cannot be for more than 7 days worth (State law 2018)
Chronic pain/maintenance prescriptions can not be for more than 30 days worth with ZERO refills. (Federal Law) The thing that many still don't know is that a Doctor can write (3) three of those 30 day prescriptions before having to see the patient in person. Each of these 30 day scripts MUST have a "Do not fill before" date written on them.
Right, so 90 days worth of meds taken as prescribed. Acute situations (surgery, new injuries, etc) require another visit to the doctor within 7 days for a possible refill. Most people who have had surgery or a serious injury are going to go to a return visit to the doc in a week.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:51 PM

My docs have protected me. I had a torn ligament. That is extremely extremely painful. I have a phobia of even twisting my ankle now because a sprained ankle is what led to the torn ligament. I couldn't get out of bed to even go to the bathroom without the pain shooting like crazy.

I was given hydrocodone. It was NOT sufficient but it's not supposed to BE sufficient to take every ounce of pain away. Pain tells you what not to do. Like stand or walk on a torn ligament. And the more powerful the pill, the more danger of addiction. I was told to take one every 6 hours and ibuprofen every 6 hours.

Then I was quickly stepped down to codeine, and then only to NSAIDs. The doc was looking after me making sure I didn't get hooked.

I had a minor surgery that still hurt like hell and my doc said she would not give even ONE hydrocodone. Nope. She said you can have Motrin if you really want it but no to any narcotics. The pain will be perfectly manageable with ibuprofen, period.

She was right. I wanted to take ALL the pain away and feel wonderful she's like that isn't necessary. So I had some pain, moved slowly like I was supposed to anyway, and I appreciate all this.

Teaching me not to turn to them unless the pain is really and truly bad enough to warrant them.

Before, I was used to them handing them out for anything. One of my scripts had been for mild bronchitis. Please. I had a SORE THROAT. And yes, those coughs are painful but not that painful. Not enough to warrant a highly addictive substance.

Pharma reps are telling Drs. they are violating their oath if they don't script these for any level of discomfort. It's ridiculous and the nation is suffering for it.

That drug that ambulances and firemen carry is now available at pharmacies because overdose is THAT common.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
My pain has been with me for most of my life. It started in my feet and worked it's way into all of my major joints at age 11. I was dx'd with JRA at 12 and I went on to continue with gymnastics, swimming and cheerleading. I did not want to be different, so I did things I should not have.

I was dx'd with Lupus at 24 and had my first stroke at 29. I had both hips replaced in my mid 20s.The pain was intense and brought me to tears several times a day, yet I did not want my children to see me crying in pain. I ended up with an T-12 incomplete SCI in 1995 and have been in a wheelchair since then.

The involuntary spasms cause muscle pain up and down my back, hips and thighs. My hands and shoulders were shredded from the use of a manual chair for 5 years, when I was finally able to qualify medically for a power chair.

I had different forms of medicines, massages and hot tub therapy. The pain remained around a 6-7. I have a fairly high pain threshold, my 10 was reserved for my multiple abdominal surgeries when I was cut from just under my breastbone to my pubis my intestines pulled out, cut, resewn and stuffed back in my body. I have literally lost track of the surgeries. I had several cutdowns a colectomy, MORE cutdowns, an ileostomy and 4 more surgeries to unblock what was left of my small intestines.

I had fentanyl patches along with high doses of morphine to try to control my daily pain. I attempted suicide twice (not easy when you have to hide meds from the person doling them out), I hacked at my wrists with a razor (not the blades alone since I had no way to obtain them).

I had to move from bed to the floor, the floor to a recliner in a never-ending rotation. Since I couldn't do this on my own another person would have to physically move me. I felt like a boulder wrapped around the necks of my family.

I tried everything including psychological therapy, physical therapy, hydrotherapy and hypnosis along with the high dose medications.

I finally got a pain pump. I have fentanyl, dilaudid and lidocaine delivered directly to my spinal column. This has brought the pain down to a 3-4; levels that I had not felt since I was 11. I had 36 years of intractable pain. If I end up losing access to these meds because some people misuse them and end up addicted my life will return to a living hell. Someone ending my life like a sick pet would be the kindest thing someone could do for me.

Some people may thing I am being dramatic, but I am explaining things in the best way I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness