Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:10 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good grief, it's true about the PM clinics. WHen did they come into existence, 10-20 yrs ago. I've never been to one as I've learned to work with my own management.
When I had some severe neck pain this Spring, I asked my Orthopedist for a script for some pain meds, if and when I might need them. I rarely use them and A Chiropractor gave me some exercises to relieve the pain, but I wanted a script anyway, just in case I had a bad day. Since 1/1, he told me, Ortho's can't prescribe pain meds anymore, you need to go to a Pain Management Clinic to be qualified.

I never did go to the clinic as I was moving to Tucson, and I just got back from Nogales, MX, 65 miles away, and I got what I wanted. Been a week and I haven't used any of it, it's for emergency use only.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to live close to the Mexican Border (those living in El Paso or San Diego are especially lucky) sympathasize with all of you who have to battle to get the pain relief you need, but do try alternative methods, it's worth a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 02:43 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Oh my heavens. Exercises for pain? Goshes no, we first world people just take drugs. Exercises are just insane. Effort? LOL. Not directed at anyone, I swear, IJS this is the first world mentality, which is a part of the problem.

I fell into it myself. Pop the magic pill and go on with life.

Mine are painful and I hate them but it's worth it not to be a drug addict. I put on music to distract from the pain of the exercises and the only issue with that is momentarily I forget I can't do moves I used to be able to do or the exercise will harm me rather than help. No more dance party routines for me! Which used to be how I stayed in shape before herniated discs changed everything.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:36 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Oh my heavens. Exercises for pain? Goshes no, we first world people just take drugs. Exercises are just insane. Effort? LOL. Not directed at anyone, I swear, IJS this is the first world mentality, which is a part of the problem.

I fell into it myself. Pop the magic pill and go on with life.

Mine are painful and I hate them but it's worth it not to be a drug addict. I put on music to distract from the pain of the exercises and the only issue with that is momentarily I forget I can't do moves I used to be able to do or the exercise will harm me rather than help. No more dance party routines for me! Which used to be how I stayed in shape before herniated discs changed everything.
I am an occupational therapist and I work with a room full of PT’s. Do you really think I didn’t exercise? I went through six months of PT before the pain got so bad. Even before that I exercised and dis a stretching and yoga routine every single night for years before this happened.

You have no idea you truly do not. Yet you feel qualified to judge all of us.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 AM

Nowhere have I judged anyone. Stating facts is not judging. But just conversationally, before what happened that required long term use of synthetic heroin??

Old 10-02-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Nowhere have I judged anyone. Stating facts is not judging. But just conversationally, before what happened that required long term use of synthetic heroin??
I’m not sure what you’re asking?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m not sure what you’re asking?
Quote:
Quote:
I exercised and dis a stretching and yoga routine every single night for years before this happened.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Before the day I woke up unable to move that eventually led to my surgery. As I stated in my earlier post about this, I do not think I would still be alive today if I was not given Percocet. Maybe I miss read your post, but it sounded like you felt people who need opiod pain medication simply choose not to exercise or do other conservative measures but just prefer drugs. And that long-term use of these drugs to manage pain equals drug addict.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The "words" are marketing ploys. The people who refuse to acknowledge the similarity to street drugs have bought the nice tied with a bow marketing package - the pretty package that allows them to NOT think of themselves as "drug addicts."
At 65 I have been prescribed opioids many times, after surgeries, after root canals, after wisdom teeth removal, for back pain, after a severe illness and I never became a drug addict.

And I don't care what name you want to give it......I would rather have it than not.

In my book there is nothing wrong with avoiding pain and there is nothing heroic about choosing to suffer pain needlessly.

And, if someone who is in chronic pain needs narcotic pain killers every day for the rest of their life I certainly don't think of them as drug addicts, to me they are no different than anyone else who has to take a drug every day for the rest of their lives.

It is well known that the stress of living with chronic pain can shorten one's lifespan. The death may not be a dramatic as dropping dead of an overdose but the result is lost years of life just the same.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/why-l...ll-you-3972227

Old 10-02-2018, 07:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,899 times
Jencam - you do understand the differences in potency and how that impacts the extent of addiction, potentially, right? Hydrocodone is less than oxycodone which is less than hydromorphone, for example. Heroin did have a medicinal use back in the day before they discovered the other, safer, alternatives. The difference is like comparing a 4% wine cooler to grain alcohol. Will both get you drunk if you take too many? Sure, but the same amount of grain alcohol may kill you while that amount in the wine cooler will not.

Pharmaceutical companies did false advertise which they’re dealing with now but that doesn’t mean that everyone who takes the medication is an addict. Some may develop physical dependency which is different than addiction. Sort of like if you drink coffee every day and stop you’ll get a headache but that doesn’t mean you’re addicted to coffee. Addiction is an intense craving or the medication or substance.

Most pain patients have tried everything else and use the medication out of a sdesire to dull the pain...not get high. We want to dull the pain so we can cook dinner for our children, help with homework, work our jobs (and not be dependent on govt assistance), etc. We aren’t looking to escape but rather to engage in life. Without meds there are days I’d be at home in bed all day in severe pain. A low dose of hydrocodone lets me do the things described above. That’s where I think you fail to understand.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Jencam -

Most pain patients have tried everything else and use the medication out of a sdesire to dull the pain...not get high. We want to dull the pain so we can cook dinner for our children, help with homework, work our jobs (and not be dependent on govt assistance), etc. We aren’t looking to escape but rather to engage in life. Without meds there are days I’d be at home in bed all day in severe pain. A low dose of hydrocodone lets me do the things described above. That’s where I think you fail to understand.
You're right on with the above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness