Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why is it important to you to pretend that it's something different? Part of the reason it's 'so important' to me is imo if people realized what it really is, they wouldn't be so eager to accept it. Especially for small things like my cat bite. Yeah, it hurt. But did I need a bit of smack for that? No.

Marketing is everything. Someone taking their teen in for wisdom teeth removal. Dr. says I'm going to script some heroin. Parents would be like yeah, no.
My 4 daughters have had their wisdom teeth out. Each got a scrip for percodan. None of them finished the scrip. They were not prescribed heroin.
You OBVIOUSLY have never experienced debilitating pain. Until you do keep your hysteria to yourself.
You are not contributing to this thread, you are pushing an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Give me a break. What doctor do you go to and where it is? I had a severe dog bite recently. Got offered Motrin.

Not buying it.
I agree with you. I was diagnosed with 3 herniated cervical discs with symptoms affecting my left arm several years before my lumbar issues started, and they gave me Tramadol, even though it easily fit criteria for stronger meds. I never asked for anything stronger as Tramadol worked great for my neck (but didn’t touch the pain in my lower leg which was due to sciatica) but the point is I never got offered opiates for even significant things like that let alone paper cuts like some are implying.

Before the sciatica I was prescribed opiates only after surgeries. Maybe they just went to bad doctors or lazy doctors, IDK.

I know it was over-prescribed, but I don’t believe it was for ailments like a bronchitis like a poster stated. That doesn’t even make sense.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with you. I was diagnosed with 3 herniated cervical discs with symptoms affecting my left arm several years before my lumbar issues started, and they gave me Tramadol, even though it easily fit criteria for stronger meds. I never asked for anything stronger as Tramadol worked great for my neck (but didn’t touch the pain in my lower leg which was due to sciatica) but the point is I never got offered opiates for even significant things like that let alone paper cuts like some are implying.

Before the sciatica I was prescribed opiates only after surgeries. Maybe they just went to bad doctors or lazy doctors, IDK.

I know it was over-prescribed, but I don’t believe it was for ailments like a bronchitis like a poster stated. That doesn’t even make sense.
General Practitioners do not prescribe opiates anymore. They will refer you to a doctor specializing in pain management. The ER will give a scrip for an opiate if they think it is warranted.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The "words" are marketing ploys. The people who refuse to acknowledge the similarity to street drugs have bought the nice tied with a bow marketing package - the pretty package that allows them to NOT think of themselves as "drug addicts."
Exactly. No one can answer if there is a bottle of Bayer heroin and a bottle of Purdue oxy how choosing the oxy is less potent, acts differently on the brain and body to provide 'pain relief', is less addictive, anything.

Oxy was marketed that way, but Purdue has had to admit that marketing was a lie. By their own internal documents they suppressed.

Just like Bayer knew that heroin was no better than opium but they lied and said it was and created a huge addiction problem back then.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think items should be called by their given names - anything else is an attempt to be misleading, and not really conducive to a conversation.
I sort of agree. Things should be called what they ARE. 'Given names'. I can call oxy pez but it doesn't make it candy.

ALL opiates and opioids are Opium Poppy. If they didn't keep changing the names of forms of opium poppy, there would be no confusion and no marketing ploys.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Yeah well tomato sauce and tomato paste are all tomatoes, but we still call them tomato paste and tomato sauce because they have differences.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
My 4 daughters have had their wisdom teeth out. Each got a scrip for percodan. None of them finished the scrip. They were not prescribed heroin.
Percodan is oxy. Explain the difference between oxy and heroin in terms of chemical composition, how they 'work' for pain, potency, and level of potential for addiction.

In 1923 the Dr would have scripted Bayor Heroin in a pretty bottle. What is the difference.

Last edited by jencam; 10-01-2018 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah well tomato sauce and tomato paste are all tomatoes, but we still call them tomato paste and tomato sauce because they have differences.
Thank you for helping to illustrate my point.

Quote:
Tomato purée is a thick liquid made by cooking and straining tomatoes. The difference between tomato paste, tomato purée, and tomato sauce is consistency; tomato puree has a thicker consistency and a deeper flavour than sauce.
https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If any of these were dangerous, the differences would not be at all meaningful in that context.

If you can explain the difference between oxy and heroin, by all means, proceed. The relevant factors are: chemical composition. How the drug affects the brain and body. potency. potential for addiction.

And I don't mean street heroin. I mean the pharmaceutical kind made by Bayer and prescribed by Drs.

the only difference is slightly in chemical composition. Everything else is the same.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:54 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Well played. But still, oxy is a synthetic mix, so it's not tomatoes to tomatoes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Well played. But still, oxy is a synthetic mix, so it's not tomatoes to tomatoes.
I enjoyed the 'well played' comment. Friendly banter is fun. We (people in general) can discuss/debate nicely and be fun if we choose.

But yeah, this is a tomato/tomato situation. Remember please I am not talking about street heroin where the potency is unknown, what all is in it is unknown, etc. I am talking about pure heroin that used to be prescribed and filled in pretty bottles for all the same reasons as oxy is now. What is the difference to you?

If you can't explain the difference, not to be rude, but I don't see on what basis you disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness