Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:19 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,316 times

Advertisements

So far 71% of the the almost 150 people polled believe "Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients"

Too bad the government does not believe this and their heavy handed response is negatively affecting legitimate pain patients
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Well, that's 70% of people in the Health and Wellness section. Chances are this is a biased sampling.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, that's 70% of people in the Health and Wellness section. Chances are this is a biased sampling.
Right on.

Just had outpatient surgery to remove a large lipoma on my shoulder blade earlier this week, about five days ago.

It's very sore. I have basically a hole in my back and an incision and several layers of stitches. My doc prescribed hydrocodone pain relief. Fifteen pills. I had no problem filling the prescription. Took them for two days. I still have at least half of them left but I quit taking them two days ago because once again, I don't like the way they make me feel or the fact that they disturb my sleep cycle. They work on the pain but frankly I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with the sleepiness without real sleep if that makes sense. They don't make me high - I just don't like the dulled feeling I get when I take them, in spite of the pain relief.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:21 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
I have taken morphine and codeine fir a fozen years at least.

When my pain gets so bad i can hardly move oet alone walk, i need something stronger than tylenol. Aspirin, aleve or ibuprofen, or any combo of those. They DONT work.

All i can say is they WILL create an addict out of me who turns to go down to dark alleys to buy heroin or the like looking for relief.

If the otc meds worked, i wouldnt need opiods.

And i cant help it that some people are stupid and OD or who abuse it or kill themselves on purpose or accidental with the opioids.

Same with alcohol...some abuse it, are stupid with it, or kill themselves accidentally or on purpose with alcohol, but should i be denied a glass of wine if i want it? No.

Same with cough syrup
I now have to be ID'd just to buy it! Why because some kids thought its great to get high on it!!

As long as there is something usefull soneone will abuse it.

I had someone i know hanged himself with a dog leash. Should we outlaw dog leashes????

I should be able to have my meds when i need them. Im not an addict, never abused or miss used them.

Its just an example of the few ruining it for the many who need it.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have taken morphine and codeine fir a fozen years at least.

When my pain gets so bad i can hardly move oet alone walk, i need something stronger than tylenol. Aspirin, aleve or ibuprofen, or any combo of those. They DONT work.

All i can say is they WILL create an addict out of me who turns to go down to dark alleys to buy heroin or the like looking for relief.

If the otc meds worked, i wouldnt need opiods.

And i cant help it that some people are stupid and OD or who abuse it or kill themselves on purpose or accidental with the opioids.

Same with alcohol...some abuse it, are stupid with it, or kill themselves accidentally or on purpose with alcohol, but should i be denied a glass of wine if i want it? No.

Same with cough syrup
I now have to be ID'd just to buy it! Why because some kids thought its great to get high on it!!

As long as there is something usefull soneone will abuse it.

I had someone i know hanged himself with a dog leash. Should we outlaw dog leashes????

I should be able to have my meds when i need them. Im not an addict, never abused or miss used them.

Its just an example of the few ruining it for the many who need it.

Are you being denied pain medications that you need?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:11 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on.

Just had outpatient surgery to remove a large lipoma on my shoulder blade earlier this week, about five days ago.

It's very sore. I have basically a hole in my back and an incision and several layers of stitches. My doc prescribed hydrocodone pain relief. Fifteen pills. I had no problem filling the prescription. Took them for two days. I still have at least half of them left but I quit taking them two days ago because once again, I don't like the way they make me feel or the fact that they disturb my sleep cycle. They work on the pain but frankly I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with the sleepiness without real sleep if that makes sense. They don't make me high - I just don't like the dulled feeling I get when I take them, in spite of the pain relief.
I used my Oxycodone to supplement over the counter pain relievers. My four day supply lasted for about two and a half weeks. I used them when when nothing else could reach that pain. I never felt doped up or sleepy because I used just enough to not clench and wince from pain. I think I felt sleepy a couple of times, but that was because I was no longer in pain.

Pain is very tiring.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you being denied pain medications that you need?
Not yet. But its getting close. They want the morphone off the market, and im on a fairly high dose.

I should have completed a thought in my post that i failed to...that IS they would create an individual going down dark alleys looking for heroin or the LIKE WHEN they take away the morphine and codeine.

Its coming...not a question of if, but when.

I already, at the pain center dr's request, cut back on the morphine and codeine. It makes it difficult.

Wet days, any season cause immense excruciating amounts of pain. Weve had rain so much the ground is squishy and muddy. Snowy weather is coming. And when i work, standing causes extraordinary pain. At home i can take a break and sit. But not at part time work.

The name of the game for me is to MANAGE the pain. As it is never fully eliminated, via injections, radio frequency ablation and morphine and codeine.

On good sunny days 3 or 4 ibuprofen ( 600 to 800 mg) will help, or 2 aleve.but not on wet days. Wet days i can hardly walk. Especially my knee.hence the reason i use a cane. But my hip ( just got an injection in it) and my back ( just had RFA in the right side) dont help matters.

Steroid injections have a bad effect on the stage 3 avascular necrosis in the bones in my hips.

There may be no easy answer but refusing the vast majority who actually need it because of a few isnt it.

Grr.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I used my Oxycodone to supplement over the counter pain relievers. My four day supply lasted for about two and a half weeks. I used them when when nothing else could reach that pain. I never felt doped up or sleepy because I used just enough to not clench and wince from pain. I think I felt sleepy a couple of times, but that was because I was no longer in pain.

Pain is very tiring.
Yes, it certainly is.

Just locked up the rest of my 15 pill prescription in my safe, along with the other 30 day supply that my doc prescribed me (missing about 4) last year for shingles. Though I still have pain, it's manageable without the hydrocodone which makes me feel dull. I don't feel doped up or high, just dull when I take them and I don't like that feeling.

I kept them though because you never know. I'll probably end up turning them in in the "drug roundup" like I did with some old oxy stuff a few years ago, but I like to keep them on hand in case, I don't know, there's a zombie apocalypse or whatever. So far I've never had any issues getting a prescription though, including this past week.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Not yet. But its getting close. They want the morphone off the market, and im on a fairly high dose.

I should have completed a thought in my post that i failed to...that IS they would create an individual going down dark alleys looking for heroin or the LIKE WHEN they take away the morphine and codeine.

Its coming...not a question of if, but when.

I already, at the pain center dr's request, cut back on the morphine and codeine. It makes it difficult.

Wet days, any season cause immense excruciating amounts of pain. Weve had rain so much the ground is squishy and muddy. Snowy weather is coming. And when i work, standing causes extraordinary pain. At home i can take a break and sit. But not at part time work.

The name of the game for me is to MANAGE the pain. As it is never fully eliminated, via injections, radio frequency ablation and morphine and codeine.

On good sunny days 3 or 4 ibuprofen ( 600 to 800 mg) will help, or 2 aleve.but not on wet days. Wet days i can hardly walk. Especially my knee.hence the reason i use a cane. But my hip ( just got an injection in it) and my back ( just had RFA in the right side) dont help matters.

Steroid injections have a bad effect on the stage 3 avascular necrosis in the bones in my hips.

There may be no easy answer but refusing the vast majority who actually need it because of a few isnt it.

Grr.
I'm sorry you're having such pain. That being said, I'm glad you can get the meds you need. I've never had an issue myself.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:20 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

This is very likely a biased sample. The poll voters are most likely those in chronic pain and/or who are directly impacted by a heavy handed approach the most.

This poll is showing that those that need pain medications over a longer period of time are the ones being negatively affected by this heavy handed approach, not the general public who are just "acute". Had the ones that voted are not being negatively affected, more votes would be for the option "Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness