Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Perhaps if you held a piece of paper that said pain relief and believed hard enough that should work as well. I have read a lot of things on this site, and I think your "answer" is patently absurd. I guess by your statement, that we no longer need doctors if we can simply believe our problems away. I presume that you never go to a doctor or a hospital because you have found the answer, in religion I presume. I can also presume that you have never needed pain control medicine because one CANNOT believe their problems away.
How do you know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I had a broken leg and multiple bone surgeries and a major organ removed, so I know something about pain.

I took morphine in the hospital, and had pain in recovery, which eventually reduced with healing.

I am not in the position to judge anyone else's pain - is it possible that people have high levels of acute pain (such as what is experienced with a broken bone or bone surgery) every second of every day? I honestly doubt that is the case, because I don't think anyone could survive that.

There are alternatives to opioids. If you aren't open to them, and you are being "cut off," then you will have to find ways to cope - I personally think taking to the streets in search of heroin is not the way to go, but that's just me.
This shouldn't be happening. People in legitimate pain should never be cut off.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I am the exact opposite of you. I have also been handed multiple RX's for procedures, and I usually wad them up, and throw them away. I take aspirin if I have pain and use holistic remedies when possible. Just recently, I fell and injured my back. I thought about going to the doctor and asking for a muscle relaxer, but then I researched online and saw the effects of those drugs and decided to try to cope without them. I was in a lot of pain and I tried various holistic remedies and used aspirin. I finally healed after a month. I was ABLE to cope because I was motivated to do so.
Well aren't you the lucky one. You cannot judge your pain against anyone else's. You cannot know how other people cope with their pain. You cannot know what other people have tried, or how their pain affects their daly life.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:36 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
I had a broken leg and multiple bone surgeries and a major organ removed, so I know something about pain.

I took morphine in the hospital, and had pain in recovery, which eventually reduced with healing.

I am not in the position to judge anyone else's pain - is it possible that people have high levels of acute pain (such as what is experienced with a broken bone or bone surgery) every second of every day? I honestly doubt that is the case, because I don't think anyone could survive that.

There are alternatives to opioids. If you aren't open to them, and you are being "cut off," then you will have to find ways to cope - I personally think taking to the streets in search of heroin is not the way to go, but that's just me.
That is exactly what my (nerve) pain felt like. It felt like every time I fell asleep, someone came in and smashed my lower leg with a sledge hammer. I agree about not being able to live like that long. My blood pressure, which has always been perfect went up 40+ points during that time. I've said before on this thread I wouldn't be alive today if not for pain meds, even though they only reduced the pain a couple of levels (from 10/10 to 7-8/10), they kept me alive until my surgery, which was 8 months after the day I woke up unable to move. There is no pain like nerve pain.

When I tell people I think I have PTSD from that episode I suppose they think I'm being dramatic, but it's true. If someone had come in and said "We can make the pain stop but we'll have to remove your leg" I'd have begged them to do it immediately without even needing to think about it.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is exactly what my (nerve) pain felt like. It felt like every time I fell asleep, someone came in and smashed my lower leg with a sledge hammer. I agree about not being able to live like that long. My blood pressure, which has always been perfect went up 40+ points during that time. I've said before on this thread I wouldn't be alive today if not for pain meds, even though they only reduced the pain a couple of levels (from 10/10 to 7-8/10), they kept me alive until my surgery, which was 8 months after the day I woke up unable to move. There is no pain like nerve pain.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When I tell people I think I have PTSD from that episode I suppose they think I'm being dramatic, but it's true. If someone had come in and said "We can make the pain stop but we'll have to remove your leg" I'd have begged them to do it immediately without even needing to think about it.
I don't think you are being dramatic to say that. That sort of pain would put you in fear for your very life.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Give me a break. What doctor do you go to and where it is? I had a severe dog bite recently. Got offered Motrin.

Not buying it.
I don't care what you believe or not. The ER doc, I was there for the cellulitis the cat bite caused, offered me pain meds. Tylonol 3, which has codeine.

20 tabs to be taken 4 times a day for 5 days. I still have almost half of that bottle 2 years later. I don't think I even took one for the cat bite. 99% of the pain was in the minutes after the bite and the trip to the ER was about 24 hours later.

Too bad also to the poster who doesn't believe I got hydrocodone for bronchitis. From an urgent care doc. I was like wow to that. Didn't even hurt that bad that time, though bronchitis can be as has been for me VERY painful. I DID have a sore throat, duh, but not sore enough for HYDROCODONE.

Painful coughs are one of the primary things Drs. used heroin for back in the day. People with TB, bronchitis, pneumonia.

Why is it hard to believe? It's painful. I remember being scared to breathe and set off a cough because ow.

They are finding out now that this is not a good idea. For various reasons but the one that stuck out to me would have affected my mother with COPD and asthma and reduced lung capacity in general.

I used to be mad she couldn't get oxy. Now I am reading it would have doubled her chances of dying by stopping her breathing.

These drugs work by relaxation. Including relaxing the part of the brain that says to breathe.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This shouldn't be happening. People in legitimate pain should never be cut off.
Even when they are nodding off from it or worse? The entire mechanism by which they work are deep relaxation.

Opioids actually make pain worse. They do nothing to actually address pain. They just make the brain feel so good it doesn't know there is pain. But it's still there. The body is fighting to get the pain signals through. It goes into overdrive, because recognition of pain is a survival mechanism.

This makes the patient believe the pain is getting worse and take more of the drug that is making them feel it is worse. Or to at least believe there is no way to ever stop.

It also makes people more hypersensitive to pain. This is the part my doc tried to explain and I didn't get it.
I was like I am not hypersensitive to the same pain I have had for a long time. He tried to explain that I am.

My back hurts LESS since he took me off. I still do not fully understand it, this thread is causing me to look things up and learn more, but I guess part of that is my body no longer has to fight my brain to send it the signals.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Opioids actually make pain worse. They do nothing to actually address pain. They just make the brain feel so good it doesn't know there is pain.

That's good enough for me....and a whole LOT of other people who want to still function in society and have some independence.

If the opioids can fool my brain into thinking i have no pain, I'm all for it.

Everything else you've said means nothing to me if I'm still suffer debilitating pain.

Last edited by purehuman; 10-03-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
I am the exact opposite of you. I have also been handed multiple RX's for procedures, and I usually wad them up, and throw them away. I take aspirin if I have pain and use holistic remedies when possible. Just recently, I fell and injured my back. I thought about going to the doctor and asking for a muscle relaxer, but then I researched online and saw the effects of those drugs and decided to try to cope without them. I was in a lot of pain and I tried various holistic remedies and used aspirin. I finally healed after a month. I was ABLE to cope because I was motivated to do so.
You healed after a month...how very nice for you.

Do you think people with a chronic progressive disease are suffering because they're not "motivated"????

Would you be "able to cope" if you had a progressive ailment that caused great pain daily with no relief (other than from opioids) knowing that you will be denied that relief?...and will no longer be able to contribute to society because of it?....especially when on the opioids, you could?
What motivation would you suggest for someone in THAT situation.
Oh, and pep talks won't work.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Even when they are nodding off from it or worse? The entire mechanism by which they work are deep relaxation.

Opioids actually make pain worse. They do nothing to actually address pain. They just make the brain feel so good it doesn't know there is pain. But it's still there. The body is fighting to get the pain signals through. It goes into overdrive, because recognition of pain is a survival mechanism.

This makes the patient believe the pain is getting worse and take more of the drug that is making them feel it is worse. Or to at least believe there is no way to ever stop.

It also makes people more hypersensitive to pain. This is the part my doc tried to explain and I didn't get it.
I was like I am not hypersensitive to the same pain I have had for a long time. He tried to explain that I am.

My back hurts LESS since he took me off. I still do not fully understand it, this thread is causing me to look things up and learn more, but I guess part of that is my body no longer has to fight my brain to send it the signals.
Do you have an MD after your name? Do you have a chronic pain condition? Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. The way you dealt with your pain is not going to be the same as how others deal with theirs. Opioids help lots of people cope with daily debilitating pain and allow them to function. I dont know why you simply cannot accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness