Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I drink wine almost every night with dinner. I dont plan on stopping anytime soon. I work in the industry so the wine is fabulous. I am around people who are the same. But I live in an area that values health and fitness and healthy fresh food. It's just part of the culture here and I love it.
I doubt that daily wine is raising your personal cancer risk. Remember that it takes large numbers to fish out alcohol's cancer effect because the effect is buried in noise. This means that with/without alcohol, your cancer risk is at the noise level, at least as far as alcohol goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 01:30 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Someday I hope some epidemiological study will finally conclude that life (all 80+ years of it) comes down to a matter of chance and individual will...weighing or dismissing one risk over another. If you are at peace with adding to your personal pile of risks, knock yourself out. None of the statistics ever devised can answer that one burning question...will I be the one to get cancer or won't I? Oh yeah, there's that other one...will I get it because of something I chose to do or can I blame something/someone else?

Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM

530 posts, read 175,184 times
I used to drink occasionally but once I got to be in my 40s and noticed that it caused a lot of water retention and a lingering blah feeling I stopped.

I thought this study was interesting too:

Quote:
Our results show that the safest level of drinking is none. This level is in conflict with most health guidelines, which espouse health benefits associated with consuming up to two drinks per day. Alcohol use contributes to health loss from many causes and exacts its toll across the lifespan, particularly among men.

Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease 2016

Old 12-20-2019, 02:21 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
I used to drink occasionally but once I got to be in my 40s and noticed that it caused a lot of water retention and a lingering blah feeling I stopped.

I thought this study was interesting too:

When I stopped daily drinking(1-2 a 5 days a week) my energy level went up. Didn't find myself napping as much. I seem to acclimate to extremes of temperature much better never being too hot or cold. I know daily drinkers and alcoholics and they are always complaining about the temperature. And they seem to have more health issues in general than I. Still have one on holidays but that's where I stop.

My guess with throat and surrounding areas the alcohol could be an irritant to the cells. If one is nursing drinks for 4-6 hours a day that's continuous exposure. Stomach and digestive track cancers I can see as well. Not sure how alcohol affects breast cancer unless may it can affect hormone levels. I thought I read years ago the too much drinking can lower production.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:25 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
And next week a recent study will show it may prevent cancer.
Bingo!

Old 12-20-2019, 05:31 PM

17,586 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Cheers!

I'll take my chances

Old 12-20-2019, 07:48 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
YAWN, let's stop doing everything enjoyable and live an extra 2 weeks!

Old 12-20-2019, 08:01 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
These studies are off again, on again. I recently read this article below, and since these studies are funded, they need to keep coming up with new and different ideas. I still enjoy a glass of Pinot Noir and occasionally a glass of whiskey. Cheers.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/10-reas...y-good-health/

Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 PM

530 posts, read 175,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
These studies are off again, on again. I recently read this article below, and since these studies are funded, they need to keep coming up with new and different ideas. I still enjoy a glass of Pinot Noir and occasionally a glass of whiskey. Cheers.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/10-reas...y-good-health/
That's an interesting article although there are no citations. It sure makes whiskey look appealing and I almost feel like I'm missing out.

Even the study I cited said that

Quote:
"Additionally, some research suggests that low levels of alcohol consumption can have a protective effect on ischaemic heart disease, diabetes, and several other outcomes."
I wonder if drinking for enjoyment and having fun will have a different outcome than those who drink because they're miserable about life.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:23 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
I know lifetime drinkers who started experiencing the side effects of decades of multiple drinks a day to say the least. Might not have cancer but they have other problems which in turn could affect normal body function. All this might affect the body's ability to fight off cancer in it's infancy stage.

Then again temporarily alcohol could lower someone's bp where as if they did nothing it could've escalated to dangerous levels. But excessive drinking can cause high bp.

Like most studies it won't apply to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness