Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 02:25 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For many of us this is pretty true. For others we live for years, not eating healthy and drinking way too much alcohol, soft drinks, even flavored juices that are not really juice at all or very little juice. I happen to be lucky, I came from a family that never developed a taste for many processed foods, we didn't use as much fat in cooking as many people do or did and we always were lucky enough to eat mostly fresh produce. Soft drinks were a rarity in our home. My kids eat the same way. I worry more about my grown grade kids. Moms and dads work hard, going out to eat or ordering in is often earlier than cooking every day, they love their sweets as well. They do drink alcohol as well, but do not overdue it as far as I know. There are a lot more things to worry about when it comes to diet than whether a drink or two at night causes cancer or any other ailment.

There are those of us who have enjoyed our wine, our beer or our cocktail and still lived to be in our 80s and 90s. My mom, my dad, my husbands mom and now us.
Yeah, while people should always be careful with alcohol use, and I'd never encourage someone to drink if they don't do so already, I think processed foods and sugary drinks are the bigger health enemy in America today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 6,303 times
i don't drink any alcohol drinks because i don't like them at all
i prefer sweets to alcohol and sweets are not healthy too
but i knew a man who tooks care of his health all his life and had an excellent health, he didn't drink any alcohol and didn't smoke, he didn't catch even a cold, but he died from a cancer
and i think it was genetically
his father died from a cancer too

Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I can't imagine that individuals that average a drink a day for 20+ yrs are all that healthy and active to being with.
Good point, most who drink regularly are not active people.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Good point, most who drink regularly are not active people.
Not necessarily true - I think most people who drink to excess are not active. There are plenty of active people that might enjoy a glass of wine, cocktail, or a beer on a regular basis.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not necessarily true - I think most people who drink to excess are not active. There are plenty of active people that might enjoy a glass of wine, cocktail, or a beer on a regular basis.
Wine is good for you.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:52 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Wine is good for you.
Actually, the recent studies have shown that the negative affects outweigh any potential benefits.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Actually, the recent studies have shown that the negative affects outweigh any potential benefits.
I don't know.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/art-20048281

Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I drink a 12 oz bottle of beer before dinner every day, have done so for over 60 years and I'm still fit as a fiddle and very active. All my vitals are normal. 3 doctors have told me that beer contains most of the vitamins and minerals I need to stay healthy.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
"While the study's authors say that moderate drinking may safeguard people against heart disease, they found that the potential to develop cancer and other diseases offsets these potential benefits, as do other risks of harm."

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/64161...l-study-claims

A more updated article from the Mayo Clinic than the one you linked:

"Any potential benefits of alcohol are relatively small and may not apply to all individuals. In fact, the latest dietary guidelines make it clear that no one should begin drinking alcohol or drink more often on the basis of potential health benefits. For many people, the possible benefits don't outweigh the risks and avoiding alcohol is the best course."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...l/art-20044551

Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
"Any potential benefits of alcohol are relatively small and may not apply to all individuals. In fact, the latest dietary guidelines make it clear that no one should begin drinking alcohol or drink more often on the basis of potential health benefits. For many people, the possible benefits don't outweigh the risks and avoiding alcohol is the best course."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...l/art-20044551
Interesting, and certainly makes a case for marijuana edibles instead of alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness