Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:10 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I think the OP is starting an important line of questioning. I probably start with many of the same assumptions but reach opposite conclusions. Let's say we are saving one million American lives by social distancing/stay at home. Every year, though, almost three million Americans die of other causes. It amazes me that we're willing to potentially send the economy into a great depression to save those one million lives but when we talk about universal health care, many worry about the cost. It amazes me we can't make medical school (or higher education more broadly) more affordable by subsidizing the cost.
Good points. I think this pandemic shows us that we need some form of universal health care.

We need more focus on education costs. University education is too expensive. Its costs drag down people’s lives, and the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:49 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Good points. I think this pandemic shows us that we need some form of universal health care.

We need more focus on education costs. University education is too expensive. Its costs drag down people’s lives, and the economy.
I agree but there is no cheap way to do that if we want world class educational institutions. We have more than half of the world's top 100 higher ed institutions by most standards.They employ millions of Americans and people from around the world spend a lot of money to attend them. It is not cheap to run them.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
I agree but there is no cheap way to do that if we want world class educational institutions. We have more than half of the world's top 100 higher ed institutions by most standards.They employ millions of Americans and people from around the world spend a lot of money to attend them. It is not cheap to run them.

Which is better, a great education for a few who can afford it or a good education for everyone who wants one?

Old 04-15-2020, 11:46 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Which is better, a great education for a few who can afford it or a good education for everyone who wants one?
The latter. Maybe I misunderstood what was meant by lowering higher education costs. I'm all for government subsidizing the cost of higher education, which will create the illusion that the costs have gone down but they really are just spread throughout the whole population through taxes. It's kind of like the illusion that a gallon of milk costs $3, but government is subsidizing a lot of the cost of milk.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
You put your older, weaker and more fragile members from your family and friend pool up first then.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:08 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is no indication it will go away on it's own....soon. Given the rate of growth in a few weeks we will be into many 100's of thousands of cases....maybe more.

There is no herd immunity unless virtually everyone gets it. So having one million people get it won't do any good.

It's fairy warm in LA and S. Cal......I do believe warmth will help slightly as compared with cold (this is true of most all respiratory viruses). But I don't think it was cold on those cruise ships that got it.

What scientific mechanism would make it go away in April?

It could mutate for the better....or worse...but going away? I don't see it and didn't hear that from Dr Fauci as a real possibility. In fact, he was more open to saying it could come back in waves even if it waned.
https://www.biospace.com/article/cor...d-be-seasonal/ This was written March 24th around time this thread appeared. It was something people were discussing from the research community.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ad-of-covid-19 This is more recent from April 9th about whether or not summer would slow it down from a temp/humidity perspective.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...r-as-do-colds/ This is recent, April 14th. They are saying weather prob. doesn't have an effect on it.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 04-15-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Oh sure: universal health care would have done wonders to help the spread of the virus and we need more focus on free education for all. Let's cut the cost,, let's go with universal health care and see what it is like to have a shortage in doctors and the time it takes to get lab results back. Great idea!!! NOT

Old 04-15-2020, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
One problem with your comment: many kids would choose college that could care less about their actual education. Kids now, that really want an education can get one without going into $1000s and $1000s of debt. Yes, for some they would have debt but not as much as many have; Community college is a start, then choose in state universities and how about checking for scholarships and grants. Many large corporations have college tuition assistance programs.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I think many here hate their parents and grandparents.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Yeah. Administrators make huge salaries while employing adjunct professors at starvation wages—literally. They charge more tuition for upper division courses. Lower division courses are often taught by lesser qualified TAs, some of whom are barely able to speak English. Meanwhile, students become enslaved by student debt, off which lenders reap huge profits. And, now we have ample evidence that rich kids game the system to get admission to colleges they are not qualified to attend.

Our university system needs reforming from top to bottom,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness