Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes I agree. Many people have very strong feelings about dying i.that it won't happen to them and if it has to it better be after they live their entitlement of 100 years or more. I am experiencing this first hand after the death of a 91 year old relative. Even posted a thread and got some really wild reactions. Rational people become irrational when forced to confront this inevitability.

As for this situation I do feel that nature can be ruthless and that we as a society have forgotten that we are just sophisticated animals prone to all sorts of follies and problems like any other bio being. I do sometimes read about the deaths and see "underlying health issues " listed over and over and scratch my head. I do wonder why we are putting the livelihood of millions on ice for the foreseeable future to preserve thousands
of lives that may be cut off by the next flu season anyway. I think that reason has been trumped by panic because we as a species cant handle that this is a natural event that many may not make it through. As a very left leaning centrist I am alarmed that the only people who seem to understand the bigger picture of what we will all be left to clean up is the far right. But no one is wrong all of the time. At the very least I can now appreciate the views of those very different than mine.

If you believe in evolution (and i understand that not everyone does) you will understand how this is wiping things that make people weaker for the next generation. It seems to be doing so disproportionately at the older end of the spectrum so it may have an auxiliary purpose that's tied to something we don't see yet...maybe as simple as population control on an overwhelmed planet. Nature gonna nature. We are not the masters we think we are. This is a wake up call.
Yes, nature is gonna nature. And people are going to continue to care for others. It is in OUR evolutionarily produced nature. Our urge to care for others is so strong because over the many years that this particular line of primates has been developing, nature has "found" that caring for others is a pretty good survival strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 09:58 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, nature is gonna nature. And people are going to continue to care for others. It is in OUR evolutionarily produced nature. Our urge to care for others is so strong because over the many years that this particular line of primates has been developing, nature has "found" that caring for others is a pretty good survival strategy.
But there's more than one way to care for others. We can care for them when they are sick, when they are emotionally distraught. when they are hurt, healthy but upset, poverty stricken, when they dont have skills or when they have the wrong skills, when they are old, young and everything in between. During an event like this I don't think we should blindly place fear masquerading as care on a pedestal. Let's see how much care goes around when resources are very limited. its easy to virtue signal in the current conditions. But peel back a few layers and understand that no matter how evolved we are, we are still animal. The fittest will always survive.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:48 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
But there's more than one way to care for others. We can care for them when they are sick, when they are emotionally distraught. when they are hurt, healthy but upset, poverty stricken, when they dont have skills or when they have the wrong skills, when they are old, young and everything in between. During an event like this I don't think we should blindly place fear masquerading as care on a pedestal. Let's see how much care goes around when resources are very limited. its easy to virtue signal in the current conditions. But peel back a few layers and understand that no matter how evolved we are, we are still animal. The fittest will always survive.

So, fess up. How much have you lost in the stock market in the last month?

Old 04-01-2020, 11:04 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
So, fess up. How much have you lost in the stock market in the last month?
How many loved ones have you lost to coronavirus?

Old 04-01-2020, 11:23 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
How many loved ones have you lost to coronavirus?

So you've lost a fair bit then.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:31 PM

493 posts, read 514,838 times
Also health professionals CHOSE the field they work in and they should have prepared for something like this pandemic instead of whining and complaining.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Also health professionals CHOSE the field they work in and they should have prepared for something like this pandemic instead of whining and complaining.
I don’t think that frontline pros who are dealing with patient care are responsible for planning. When you have to visit the ER, why don’t you try telling them they should be better prepared.

I think you feel invulnerable to the virus. I doubt you are.

Honestly, I think your attitude is cold. People are dying in your community, docs and nurses are working hard, and you are saying, “just let them die.” This is not a civilized attitude.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
In the wild, in nature; the old, weak and sick are the first to die. The gene pool then gets strengthened.

We humans are no exception. Why are we messing with what we can't conquer?
1st of all, sick post!

We probably can and will "conquer" COVID-19

Old 04-13-2020, 11:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Yes I agree. Many people have very strong feelings about dying i.that it won't happen to them and if it has to it better be after they live their entitlement of 100 years or more. I am experiencing this first hand after the death of a 91 year old relative. Even posted a thread and got some really wild reactions. Rational people become irrational when forced to confront this inevitability.

As for this situation I do feel that nature can be ruthless and that we as a society have forgotten that we are just sophisticated animals prone to all sorts of follies and problems like any other bio being. I do sometimes read about the deaths and see "underlying health issues " listed over and over and scratch my head. I do wonder why we are putting the livelihood of millions on ice for the foreseeable future to preserve thousands
of lives that may be cut off by the next flu season anyway. I think that reason has been trumped by panic because we as a species cant handle that this is a natural event that many may not make it through. As a very left leaning centrist I am alarmed that the only people who seem to understand the bigger picture of what we will all be left to clean up is the far right. But no one is wrong all of the time. At the very least I can now appreciate the views of those very different than mine.

If you believe in evolution (and i understand that not everyone does) you will understand how this is wiping things that make people weaker for the next generation. It seems to be doing so disproportionately at the older end of the spectrum so it may have an auxiliary purpose that's tied to something we don't see yet...maybe as simple as population control on an overwhelmed planet. Nature gonna nature. We are not the masters we think we are. This is a wake up call.
This is a once in a 100 year event and may not be entirely natural as it may have come from human negligence in China.

You do have some points I agree with but I am a left leaning centrist as well who of course accepts evolution but I do not think we should just accept 1 million+ deaths in exchange for the economic convenience of the many. There's nothing wrong with taking a 1-2 month pause to drive down the infection rate and buy time for research into treatments.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:07 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
I think the OP is starting an important line of questioning. I probably start with many of the same assumptions but reach opposite conclusions. Let's say we are saving one million American lives by social distancing/stay at home. Every year, though, almost three million Americans die of other causes. It amazes me that we're willing to potentially send the economy into a great depression to save those one million lives but when we talk about universal health care, many worry about the cost. It amazes me we can't make medical school (or higher education more broadly) more affordable by subsidizing the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness