Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Many states are opening back up but a lot of health officials have indicated that it is too soon; the virus has not yet flattened, and we will likely see a rise in cases and deaths becaue states have begun aggressive reopening efforts already. For those who have states that have opened or are opening soon, what are your plans? Texas is opening many businesses next week but my wife and I are furloughed. There is no mask requirement and we believe it is too soon. We will remain at home under self quarantine until either more time has passed or we are called back to work. What do you think? If you have the option, do you believe it is safe to get back to normal?
and we are not staying at home: next week our restaurants will open under strict guidelines: we are planning on our first "happy hour" in about 6 weeks or longer. We have a group that get together every Thurs. We are limiting it to only 8 of us the first week and of course we will be ordering food as well, as they are not open for just drinks, but we are super excited. We will also return to church , Sun the 17th and we are getting our pedicures on Sat and our hair cuts tomorrow. Chancy? maybe as we are over 60, but we are tired of spending day in and day out staring at each other.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You must be young. I worked as a Respiratory Therapist in a community hospital not far from Chicago during the H1N1 epidemic. We all thought it was nothing as well. Heck we were young, it wasn't going to kill us. Until I watched an otherwise healthy 36 year old die from it. At the peak in our hospital we ran out of ventilators. Renting them was difficult and they sent us models we were never trained on. That's when we all knew this was serious. One of the young men on that naval ship died from Covid. I'm sure he was healthy and fit. Outliers exist on both sides of the Covid coin. There was a 100 year old nursing home resident that survived it and it killed a 5 year old and some teenagers. You see you can be cocky but until you play Russian Roulette with your life and catch this, you won't know which side of the Covid coin you're on. Maybe you are a lucky one and are asymptomatic. Good for you, until you bring it home to someone you love and they die from it. Want to play with your loved ones lives? This is killing people in all age groups. Do some reading about this.
Everyone has his/her own idea, but we depend on what our personal doctor is advising and how our granddaughter, a nurse practitioner is saying. In both cases they will be picking up life as usual as things start to open. Sure they will use judgement, they will continue to be a little more careful and will continue to practice social distancing, but they feel it is time to get on with life.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not a chance in the world that I will be going out as states begin to open their economies. If I HAVE to go out, it is with mask and gloves.

When the last city/town/county/area has moved on from the virus, then we all can be safe. Until then, we are ALL at risk from just one person who has traveled to an area where the virus is prevalent, comes back to our town, infects a handful, who in turn infect a LOT of people.

Nope. Staying in. This thing is really dangerous: brain aneurisms, strokes, blindness, permanent lung damage, not to mention headaches and tiredness like none of us has ever seen. You don't want to get it, and I surely don't want to catch it.

Cheer on the people who are out there. Hope they are all trumpers and don't make it to the November 3 election. He's be so proud that you sacrificed for him. Might even send your estate a letter asking for a donation in your honor. Nothing says "i care" quite that sort of solicitation.
And statements like your last paragraph shows what is wrong with our country. That is a horrible thing to say, not to mention why do you have to bring politics into this?

Old 05-06-2020, 10:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And statements like your last paragraph shows what is wrong with our country. That is a horrible thing to say, not to mention why do you have to bring politics into this?
Agreed. Karma is a biatch! It's deplorable to wish death on people with whom you disagree politically.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, but I do get a flu shot annually. Some of the protesters, both here on CD in IRL, are against that, too.

You said it better than me. I see this a lot on "liberal" message boards, e.g. NPR, Huffpo, etc. It makes me embarrassed to be a liberal.

I have a bad ingrown toenail and I'd like to go get it fixed. My salon is opening Saturday. I'll see how long I can hold out.
To me, this is a matter of personal choices. I do think it is important to follow the practice of wearing masks, keeping social distance and of course washing our hands constantly which has always been recommended. Other than that, we have to decide for ourselves what chances we want to take. It still boils down to using common sense. I know in our family we have people on all sides. We are not even having a Mothers day brunch or dinner this year because we are so split. I think the decision was the right one, not because I had problems with all 15 of us getting together, but because I knew a few others did have concerns.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am not staying home because I am ordered to. I am staying home because I am smart enough to know just how bad this virus really is!

I'm staying home to keep out of the hospital and die like over 63K Americans so far (within 3 months) and these numbers will jump big time if people are crazy and start going out and mingling with others

Feel free to do what you want. Like I said earlier, there are plenty of open hospital beds waiting for you
Can you tell the government that so everyone can go about their lives?

Or do you TRULY not believe that?

My state, Florida, has been the gleeful dumping ground, we stayed ope n too long, we opened beaches too early .. oh the SECOND WAVE .... um, nothing much is happening here compared to other states.

If you TRULY believe that people are free to do what they want, what's the problem?

If you want to stay home, you can do so.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:46 AM

208 posts, read 210,129 times
Will You Be Going Out Now That States are Reopening?

You're damned right I will be!! If people want to stay isolated that's their thing. As for me, the more often the better.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:57 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Why?

Well, look at the ignoramus in the WH, and the sheeple who follow him. He tells a lie every other hour and people still follow him and think he is going a good job because he tells them he is! He encouraged the worst of the worst to go out (for political reasons) because he knows that they will go--that they just aren't smart enough to know better. "If the Prez says it's okay, it must be fine". Like he cares a hoot about a single person. Couldn't even express sympathy yesterday before he rolled into how great the economy is going to be next year (and yes, we are going to loose some people. Pffft.)

I get it. People are bored. They are tired of being cooped up. They are tired of being broke (did you get your millions? His friends did. Yu got $1200. Maybe).

Go out. It's fine. Mingle. Hug. Risk the life of your friend and neighbor--not to mention your family. What could possibly go wrong?

Plenty.

The clown mucked it up. Borrowed ANOTHER few trillion on top of his tax cut for the wealthy which already cost our children TRILLIONS. Then completely dismissed the worst crisis to hit our nation in decades with a "yes, there's 15 now, but it will soon be zero". Then he sent Kushner out to pillage in the medical appliance market in order to make a few extra million for the crime family.

And you want to encourage such behavior from someone who is supposed to be looking our for our Nation, and the world?

Not me. I don't believe a word he says. And I am not about to go out and risk my life, or my family's lives just because I am "bored". The president is concerned that he won't get re-elected if the economy doesn't recover by November. It won't. That die is already cast by his own actions--or lack thereof.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:06 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I will be going out when things reopen. Money will be tighter then normal due to the impact on our finances from the shut down, but hope to support local, small businesses as much as we can. Mostly looking forward to backyard bbq’s and seeing friends. Hoping that youth sports will be happening again soon.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The Johns Hopkins data clearly shows that the jury is definitely still out with COVID 19 and that it is clearly a new threat to public health. It shows that the mortality rate is higher and it has already surpassed that of the flu in the US. It's transmission is also different from the flu. And it still keeps marching on. In the midst of all of this reopening stuff, the virus continues to spread and people continue to get sick and/or die. That's not doomsday, that's facts. Every day I watch the cases increase and new deaths. In my area, over 60% of the people who have gotten the disease are under 65. Additionally, not all young people have recovered. There were many who were under 65, including a man in his 30s. As there are many people who have health issues than we'd like to admit. I have hypertension, that makes me "at risk" and I'm a fit 44 year old.

And no, life is not going to be the same, things aren't going to just go back to normal. You can't just "live your life". I, for one, am sick and damn tired of people's poor hygiene. Forget about coronavirus, this goes for the flu too. Cover your damn mouth, give me my personal space, and wash your hands. The whole reason why the government had to step in is because idiot people can't voluntarily do that on their own. Both the flu and coronavirus suck. If you'll notice the government made suggestions and they were largely unheeded by the populace. Even now that the stores have reopened, people refuse to keep six feet apart or cover their mouths if they don't wear masks. Just like you feel like it's your right to be in public, it's my right not to get sick and considering a pandemic is going on, have an ounce of consideration for your fellow man. Is it that hard?

And re: flu vs. COVID 19:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/healt...ths/index.html
Apparently, the answer is yes for too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness