Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 06:51 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, most economists disagree with you. The general opinion is, fix the pandemic and the economy will fix itself.

economists are all about pushing theories and platitudes. Sure, who wouldn't like to fix the pandemic?

it's just not feasible because the timeline to fix is unknown, and fixing the pandemic necessitates fully bankrupting the whole world economy.

Of course the economy will fix itself because once you hit rock bottom, the only direction is up.

In theory, if you lock everything down airtight for 4 weeks, everyone in forced hibernation, house doors welded shut, all essential stores closed, all commerce, everything everyone literally frozen, then we can force covid to die.

Is it doable? hell no, not even remotely possible.

Therefore, we just have to move on with the next best least harmful option.

at some point, you are just going to have to accept that you will probably catch corona.
And just as much as you risk your life everyday when you drive your car, where you could possibly be t-boned or smashed head-on... you might eventually decide that you can't hide from corona forever.
Like seat belts and airbags, you just have to hope that masks and distancing will spare your life. Not always guaranteed, but there's a good chance.

Last edited by oh come on!; 05-06-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-06-2020, 07:00 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm good. Open up everything. Go forth, dine out, window shop, walk slowly up and down the aisles, and don't let anyone tell you have to wear a mask. Demand you rights.

I'll sit and watch. I am absolutely fascinated, and very curious about the results.

My husband made a great point. If you sent your kids to school and 10% of the time that door zapped them with enough electricity to kill them, would you still send them to school? His answer was "hell no." Your answer may differ.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2020, 07:11 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,846 times
I go out now (grocery stores, walking, riding) but I am a bit hesitant to visit my local watering hole when it opens. The owner and many of the patrons are over 62. Will he even open up if allowed? What will the distancing look like in the bar? I like hanging out at this bar so I'm curious as to how this will all play out. I miss many of the guys- one of the patrons called me and said Everyone was doing great.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:20 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
No one said anything panic driven. This is a pandemic, you are supposed to socially isolate, almost every virologist, scientist, and epidemiologist agrees with this.

Are you able to have opinions without being derogatory to other posters? Or, is that the whole of your arguement? "You skeered."

I wonder if economic experts, mental health experts, substance abuse experts would agree with our approach?

Old 05-06-2020, 07:26 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I wonder if economic experts, mental health experts, substance abuse experts would agree with our approach?
"Our" approach is basically going forth and opening. While I don't think that was your point, plenty of people who are emotionally fragile succumb to things all the time. Good economy, bad economy, social, social distancing..... It's not like we didn't have drug addicts during a booming economy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2020, 07:30 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Gambling is coming back: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ay-home-order/

Old 05-06-2020, 07:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
"Our" approach is basically going forth and opening. While I don't think that was your point, plenty of people who are emotionally fragile succumb to things all the time. Good economy, bad economy, social, social distancing..... It's not like we didn't have drug addicts during a booming economy.

I guess it varies from one state to the next. We are taking the tiniest baby steps but definitely not opening up here.

I don’t understand the flippant comment about emotionally fragile people succumbing to things (addiction, suicide, domestic violence) all the time without also acknowledging that medically fragile people (People in nursing homes, people with underlying health issues) succumb to illness as well.

Does it only matter if a death was from coronavirus? Do suicides due to the stress of the shut down not matter? I’m sorry but I just can’t relate.

It is known that increased suicides correlate with economic recession.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:44 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
When they reopen:
Me: No...I don't want to go and you can't make me
Seriously it will probably be a while before I decide to dine out or do anything aside from picking up what I need and leaving. Unless I magically come into a fortune but I don't see that happening.
I'm not going to work if they reopen..at least I'm putting my foot down anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Otherwise, when you have a mask on for a prolonged period of time, it'll disrupt your breathing and your breathing your own breathe rather than the natural air. Especially if you're sick, the germs are just bouncing back at you pretty much. If you sneeze or cough with a mask on, it'll still go through the mask. Granted it'll reduce the spread but it'll still get through. So its pretty much useless for everyone to be walking around with mask all the time.
Exactly it's more likely if you're sensitive. People sometimes wonder why I can't handle them after a while so I only wear one where it's mandated (or when I'm cleaning the litter box). They are pretty handy if you're around a smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree, people shouldn't put such blind faith in "the vaccine"--"I won't go out again until there is a vaccine" as we keep hearing.

Even with vaccines, people STILL become ill, especially people who are already old and/or sick (which are the majority of people who are so worried). These are the very people whom vaccines are less effective on. They only work if your body responds with an immune reaction.(My dad got a flu shot at age 94. He got the flu anyway, and died of complications. This is very common and typical.)

Couple that with the fact that there are probably various strains of the virus, and researchers will have to "guess" which ones are most prevalent, and you're going to end up with a vaccine that is 15-40% effective, like a flu shot.

Not that that would be entirely worthless, but it's hardly the "end to the virus" that some people are envisaging. .

Their choice. Personally I won't take the vaccine but I'm also an anomaly so I try not to deduce whether other people need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not a chance in the world that I will be going out as states begin to open their economies. If I HAVE to go out, it is with mask and gloves.

When the last city/town/county/area has moved on from the virus, then we all can be safe. Until then, we are ALL at risk from just one person who has traveled to an area where the virus is prevalent, comes back to our town, infects a handful, who in turn infect a LOT of people.

Nope. Staying in. This thing is really dangerous: brain aneurisms, strokes, blindness, permanent lung damage, not to mention headaches and tiredness like none of us has ever seen. You don't want to get it, and I surely don't want to catch it.]

Oh I don't know. Coming from a person with a system that is wired differently I likely have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Life will not be returning to normal in the next year, at least. For example, Hollywood is almost completely shutdown. There will be no more production until who knows when (because there is no way it is now safe for actors to be physically close, kiss, touch objects, etc).; so get used to re-run movies and TV shows for the next year and a half. Some shows (The Voice, etc.) can use platforms like Zoom, but dramas, actions, romance shows and movies that were not aired pre-covid are gone. Productions won't start back up until there is a vaccine, which means that a huge part of social life will be on hold for 1-2 years.

No live concerts, sports events, etc for another 1-2 years (until there's a vaccine). Even big conferences, which were fun are being put on hold for the next year.

Regardless of what states are doing with re-opening and regardless of whether or not people choose to go out, life as we knew it pre-covid will not exist for the next 1-2 years.

Isn't California reopening? See I don't get that. One of my favorite shows has already been filmed. How can the virus stop it? It sounds like they're just making excuses but yeah I'm sure if there is a shut down we won't see many more new episodes because there's only so much footage that they would have available. That is one of the few downsides of quarantine/social distancing (whatever you want to call it)

Meh I mean I just went to a concert near the end of the year. I'm good for a while.

You mean my non essential BS won't exist for 1-2 years? Maybe they'll close it down and I can get unemployment

Quote:
There is little to no evidence showing that cloth masks are effective or that they protect anyone. There is some evidence that they can increase risk to the wearer, especially with improper use, something I see every time I go out.

I don’t open my mouth at the grocery store other then saying, “thank you” to the cashier and bagger as I leave nor do I cough or sneeze unless I’m sick so not sure how I personally would be putting anyone in harms way by not wearing a cloth mask while out and about. I also don’t get close enough to anyone in order to breathe all over them.

I think there is a lot of fear right now that is leading to some hysterical views in regards to masks. I think the focus on masks is overblown when looking at the scientific evidence.

I get that they can't make exceptions and I love "quarantine" so I try not to complain but wearing something over your mouth and nose isn't natural for me..at least not for long periods of time so whenever I can not wear it I take it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
we will most likely be going into lockdown mode again. So, pick your poison. Go out safely, or get ready for staying home again.
Hmmm..is there a downside to that?

Quote:
Or those who have abusive spouses or bad relationships. For some, sheltering at home is great, for others, it’s lonely or even a nightmare.

I feel for those people deep in my heart. That's when I start feeling kinda guilty too because I admire someone that is quarantined with a horrible person. But I mean it's not like I'm asking all those people to stay home..I'm not even staying home. I'm still working. I just don't want to go back to where I was. If someone can find me a WFH job I wouldn't care so much about social distancing/quarantine (again whatever you want to call it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
But it doesn't make me a cold hearted person because I don't feel being at home is a prison and contrary to what some on here have posted, I am not just staring at walls, etc etc. Many posters only like to relate the negative effects of staying at home and I'm simply giving another viewpoint. I don't think it's right that I'm made to feel bad because I'm giving another view.

I really don't see how it would be but I never did understand super extroverts so I'm not going to bother trying to have people see that staying home is amazing. I look at a lot of people around me and I don't identify with them. I'm a rare breed even among introverts because I'm 100 percent.
The only thing I would want them to understand is why going back to normal is very difficult for me.
As much as the masks hurt me if I had to choose between those and my regular job I'd choose the masks because at least I can take them off in the breakroom and back area.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:21 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Many states are opening back up but a lot of health officials have indicated that it is too soon; the virus has not yet flattened, and we will likely see a rise in cases and deaths becaue states have begun aggressive reopening efforts already. For those who have states that have opened or are opening soon, what are your plans? Texas is opening many businesses next week but my wife and I are furloughed. There is no mask requirement and we believe it is too soon. We will remain at home under self quarantine until either more time has passed or we are called back to work. What do you think? If you have the option, do you believe it is safe to get back to normal?
I'm going to be cautious.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Because as many a sign I've seen around these days says, "We're all in this together". Your going out sans mask, breathing all over everyone around you could cause innocent bystanders to get sick or even die. If your actions only affected YOU, I would have no problem with your actions. However, this virus can be spread even if you feel fine. What is right for you, therefore, becomes NOT right for others around you. Your behavior can have serious consequences for me. These are not normal times. Just don't get how that is so hard to comprehend.
This is your opinion and that of many others, but not all of us agree. I did not say I do not wear a mask.In fact I do,depending where I am going. That does not mean I expect everyone else to wear one. Speeding is not a good idea either but I don't expect everyone else to follow my driving habits. We can not go through life either shut in or wearing masks everywhere. Here is an example that many states are suggesting: ok, you can eat in restaurants but you must wear a mask until your order, or your water arrives. Then you can remove it for obvious reasons. Now what is the point? You will be in the restaurant without a mask for most o the time you are there. Why wear one at all? This is the same with the hair dresser or barber.

Just because we differ on this does not make either right or wrong. Those of us who choose not to always wear a mask are not trying to tell the rest of you to just stay home if you don't want to get exposed.

Last edited by nmnita; 05-07-2020 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness