Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 04:22 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"The dangers of fruits"? Good lord.
Well look what happened to Snow White- bites apple, *BOOM* , instant coma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 04:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well look what happened to Snow White- bites apple, *BOOM* , instant coma.
It's the apples..... just ask Eve.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-27-2022, 05:30 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Go ahead and do that, then.
I'm not planning on becoming a fruitarian, though I probably do enjoy it more than most people.

Fruit actually does not have high enough amounts of fructose for concern, especially compared to sugary drinks (high fructose corn syrup) or concentrated fruit juices.

Those are things to avoid, not fruit!

Old 07-27-2022, 05:47 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I'm not planning on becoming a fruitarian, though I probably do enjoy it more than most people.

Fruit actually does not have high enough amounts of fructose for concern, especially compared to sugary drinks (high fructose corn syrup) or concentrated fruit juices.

Those are things to avoid, not fruit!
Your liver isn't concerned with percentages, it's concerned with absolute amounts. If you eat so much fruit that the absolute amount of fructose you've consumed is the same as a high fructose corn syrup drink, then it's still the same.

"Be careful with fruit" does not mean "eat no fruit." I personally eat some strawberries or blackberries nearly every day.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:03 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:
Jain eat eggs and drink milk if they can ascertain that the animals were treated humanely. But they don't eat root vegetables, because that would kill the plants.

My point is that they go farther in their no-kill philosophy than vegans...without being vegan.
You must have met psuedo Jains. Kinda like the Christians who have no idea about the Bible.

Jainism does not allow consumption of eggs and meat. Milk/ milk products are allowed. It is a religion, do not confuse it with a dietary approach.

As far as root vegetables go, Jains are not expected to eat Onions and Garlic, as these are what is called "tamsic" per Ayurveda, essentially meaning eating these prevents one from finding enlightenment. They do eat other root veggies with the exception of certain times in a year.

And going by what you stated, how can a religion that does not allow eating root vegetables because it may kill the plants will allow consumption of eggs?

Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
You must have met psuedo Jains. Kinda like the Christians who have no idea about the Bible.

Jainism does not allow consumption of eggs and meat. Milk/ milk products are allowed. It is a religion, do not confuse it with a dietary approach.
Well, if they drink milk, they are not vegans, which was actually my point. They still get animal protein.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:38 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
This guy, Dr. Berg, is one of the few medical doctors who specialize in nutrition that I trust completely.

He put out a video “What if your only protein source was eggs?”

1) Would you get high cholesterol and develop heart problems? No, you wouldn’t.

2) Breakdown of best protein source by nutrient density:

Eggs 97%
Meat 95%
Dairy 94%
Plant based protein 45%

Bottom line is that you need to be eating more eggs and meat, not plant protein.

But I guess if you are trying to “save the planet” or can’t handle eating animals for some reason, by all means keep eating a substandard diet and potentially die younger than you should.

Carnivores go wrong, not by eating real grassfed meat and organic eggs, but by eating processed garbage, mainly carbs.

Just thought I would add this post because I seen the one where plant based protein helps longevity, which I don’t believe that to be true.

Lastly, look very carefully at reports that say eggs are bad and a plant based diet is good. Was it a real study or just a paid for observation that gets the result they want you to see.
I'm a total believer in eggs as an excellent source of protein. I love 'em! Eggs pack a lot of protein (and collagen) for relatively few calories and at a reasonable cost.

My meats of choice are fish and poultry. No beef. Beef has now been determined to have a causal relationship to cancer. I also have a problem with the slaughter of cows, how veal is created, and the cruelty involved in that business. It's also not an efficient source of protein in the sense that it uses a lot of earth's resources to produce what is, by comparison, a small amount of protein. It's not efficient. Now more than ever we need to consider whether it's wise to cut down acres of trees and bring cattle in to change a landscape and kill off native wildlife, in the name of beef.

I love dairy, too. Many have allergies to it, but I don't.

As for plant protein, just because it has less protein than the others doesn't make it "substandard," as you said, any more than dairy is substandard because it has less protein than eggs. (Altho granted the % of protein for the top three is close.) (And of course, plant protein like legumes has to be mixed with a grain or other carb to make a complete protein.)

Old 07-28-2022, 04:50 AM

762 posts, read 451,591 times
Quote:
I've never tasted or felt a vegan, so I wouldn't know about that. The ones I've seen don't look any better than some of the better looking omnivores.
Are they living a healthy lifestyle (no smoking, no drinking and no drugs) whole foods and plant based; or living rough and eating processed junk?

Old 07-29-2022, 06:50 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000571417977

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-29-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Are they living a healthy lifestyle (no smoking, no drinking and no drugs) whole foods and plant based; or living rough and eating processed junk?
As I said before, everyone does better living a healthy lifestyle (no smoking, no drinking, and no drugs) eating whole (preferably organic) foods. Whether you also throw a few eggs in there won't make any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness