Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 09:59 AM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

This guy, Dr. Berg, is one of the few medical doctors who specialize in nutrition that I trust completely.

He put out a video “What if your only protein source was eggs?”

1) Would you get high cholesterol and develop heart problems? No, you wouldn’t.

2) Breakdown of best protein source by nutrient density:

Eggs 97%
Meat 95%
Dairy 94%
Plant based protein 45%

Bottom line is that you need to be eating more eggs and meat, not plant protein.

But I guess if you are trying to “save the planet” or can’t handle eating animals for some reason, by all means keep eating a substandard diet and potentially die younger than you should.

Carnivores go wrong, not by eating real grassfed meat and organic eggs, but by eating processed garbage, mainly carbs.

Just thought I would add this post because I seen the one where plant based protein helps longevity, which I don’t believe that to be true.

Lastly, look very carefully at reports that say eggs are bad and a plant based diet is good. Was it a real study or just a paid for observation that gets the result they want you to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 10:54 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Makes a lot of sense.........the biological-availability of plant-based micro and macro nutrients is, in general, quite a bit lower when comparted to animal-based micro and macro nutrients.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:33 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Berg is actually a chiropractor, not a medical doctor. That doesn't mean, however, he can't read and properly understand the same studies available to medical doctors and come to logical conclusions. And most medical doctors know very little about nutrition. I'm lucky in that my doctor is also an amateur athlete (he does MMA as a hobby), so he's better read on athletic nutrition than most doctors.

And I watched Berg's video just earlier this morning.

The worst problem with all of the studies that negatively compare omnivore diets with vegan and vegetarian diets is that every one of them--every single one of them--compares "clean" vegan and vegetarian dieters to "dirty" omnivore dieters.

People who are on vegan and vegetarian diets are, by definition, being careful about what they eat.
Berg does mention briefly that those studies roll people who eat highly processed and fast foods into the "omnivore" category. All the studies compare clean-eating vegans and vegetarians with junk food-eating omnivores. There is no study comparing "clean" omnivores (eating organic, whole foods) with clean vegans and vegetarians.

That might change in 20 years because of all the highly processed "vegan" foods the industry is pushing out onto the shelves. After 20 years of people eating tofu fried in vegetable oil, they might be able to compare junk-food vegans with junk-food omnivores.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
... I guess if you are trying to “save the planet” or can’t handle eating animals for some reason, by all means keep eating a substandard diet and potentially die younger than you should.
Mighty big of you. Thanks.

Actually, I would like to save the planet, but that isn't why I've drastically reduced my intake of animal proteins. The truth is that by limiting processed foods of any kind, and foods produced by factory farms, I lost excess pounds, and I feel better. That was a choice I made decades ago, and other than treatment for insomnia and muscle spasms, I have no health issues. I still have all my joints, my adult teeth, and no known ailments attributed to poor diet.

Leave the dietary guidance to professionals who know the person they are treating, because there is no such "one size fits all diet." You could be leading some hapless individual into decisions harmful to their health.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:55 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Actually, I would like to save the planet, but that isn't why I've drastically reduced my intake of animal proteins. The truth is that by limiting processed foods of any kind, and foods produced by factory farms, I lost excess pounds, and I feel better. That was a choice I made decades ago, and other than treatment for insomnia and muscle spasms, I have no health issues. I still have all my joints, my adult teeth, and no known ailments attributed to poor diet.

Leave the dietary guidance to professionals who know the person they are treating, because there is no such "one size fits all diet." You could be leading some hapless individual into decisions harmful to their health.
Whether vegan or omnivore or even carnivore, the most significant dietary change one can make is to eliminate highly process and fast foods, and to go as organic as possible.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I don’t believe you need to drastically reduce animal proteins, as long as you are eating organic and/or grass fed. But I guess it would depend on how much you were originally consuming, because I’m also a firm believer in never going over your macro limit on proteins.

If people want to be strictly vegan, well, I don’t consider that to be the best decision for their future health. But it is better than eating processed carbs and sugar, which I don’t eat at all.

So if you have the discipline to eat right, you should also include animal protein as it’s very beneficial to you.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Berg is actually a chiropractor, not a medical doctor. That doesn't mean, however, he can't read and properly understand the same studies available to medical doctors and come to logical conclusions. And most medical doctors know very little about nutrition. I'm lucky in that my doctor is also an amateur athlete (he does MMA as a hobby), so he's better read on athletic nutrition than most doctors.

And I watched Berg's video just earlier this morning.

The worst problem with all of the studies that negatively compare omnivore diets with vegan and vegetarian diets is that every one of them--every single one of them--compares "clean" vegan and vegetarian dieters to "dirty" omnivore dieters.

People who are on vegan and vegetarian diets are, by definition, being careful about what they eat.
Berg does mention briefly that those studies roll people who eat highly processed and fast foods into the "omnivore" category. All the studies compare clean-eating vegans and vegetarians with junk food-eating omnivores. There is no study comparing "clean" omnivores (eating organic, whole foods) with clean vegans and vegetarians.

That might change in 20 years because of all the highly processed "vegan" foods the industry is pushing out onto the shelves. After 20 years of people eating tofu fried in vegetable oil, they might be able to compare junk-food vegans with junk-food omnivores.
Those are some very good points and I completely agree.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Whether vegan or omnivore or even carnivore, the most significant dietary change one can make is to eliminate highly process and fast foods, and to go as organic as possible.
Yes, it's a good place to start.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Nutrient density is the key...We need to get about a dozen of the amino acids from our food because we can't synthesize those ourselves....Only a couple palnts make all the essential AAs, and they aren't appropriate food sources for other reasons, so we're stuck needing to eat several types of plants simultaneously to supply all 12....

Eg- a combination of rice, beans and corn (do you like tacos?) will do it, but because those plant sources are only 2-15% protein, you need to eat a lot of them-- 3000 cal worth every day-- to get 60 gm protein....and you still won't get any Vit B12.

OTOH-- 6 oz of meat will satisfy your protein & B12 requirements and only provide 600 cal....You can get the other 600+ you need from anywhere you like.

Despite the wishful thinking of those with a compromised knowlege base of biochemistry and physiology, H.sapiens is a carnivore with an ability to get some nutrition from plants if necessary..

BTW-- those who think meat isn't good for us should look up "Carnitine."

Old 07-24-2022, 03:22 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Soooo….. the gist of all this is to eat a balanced diet like the USDA recommendation.

Got it. I’ll go eat some mule deer now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness