Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:58 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times

Advertisements

I am glad to see this post. I just stumbled upon his videos a couple of days ago, and I was wondering if he was legit or not.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
they would like to confuse people into thinking that a plant based diet can include meat and dairy. The more people who believe it and do it rather than a straight vegan diet,

I know there are some links that say a plant based diet can include some meat .
Why do you think they don't just call it a plant diet? If a plant-based diet excludes all animal products it is a vegan or vegetarian diet. There is a reason they added the word "based" to it and it's because it is not an exclusively plant diet. It's not a conspiracy by Big Meat nor a trick to confuse consumers just an accurate description of a diet that is "based" on plants rather than meat.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:57 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
In the link you provided the woman is talking about the Mediterranean diet which is not strictly a plant based diet. It's your standard meat, fish and dairy diet. It's just that they recommend smaller portions of animal protein than what people consume in the U.S.
No. The Mediterranean diet is a whole foods plant-based diet. It's a pattern of eating from Blue Zones surrounding the Mediterranean. It's the most studied and recommended pattern of eating to prevent heart diseases and other chronic illnesses, and to promote healthy aging and longevity. Hundreds of legitimate studies support the Med. Most people are aware of this because it has been studied and recommended for decades, but few Americans eat this way or in a similar pattern.

Plant-based diets originated in indigenous populations (Blue Zones) and include essential nutrients from natural whole foods sources, which vegan and vegetarian diets fail to do. Essential nutrients are nutrients that humans must obtain from foods because the body doesn't make them --- which means that some meat and/or animal products must be included for nutritional health.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Why do you think they don't just call it a plant diet? If a plant-based diet excludes all animal products it is a vegan or vegetarian diet. There is a reason they added the word "based" to it and it's because it is not an exclusively plant diet. It's not a conspiracy by Big Meat nor a trick to confuse consumers just an accurate description of a diet that is "based" on plants rather than meat.
Yep.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:17 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerJenny View Post
In this town, people live 10 yrs longer.

Follow the Adam & Eve Diet meaning anything Adam and Eve ate. Eat Raw organic fruits and vegetables, nuts (from trees)

https://www.bluezones.com/exploratio...0zone%20region.
It's funny how no one responded to your post which was very interesting and informative. Some people mention the blue zones a lot but with no specifics. your post had specifics which I appreciate.

I learned something about the religious aspect when you said eat the Adam & Eve diet. The problem many people might have with that is it goes back too far. Many prefer only going back to the Paleolithic era because that seems to prove they can eat a high protein diet, and animal protein tastes better to them than the foods Adam & Eve had in their garden. Especially do to the fact that they had no salad dressing back then, and no whipped cream for the strawberries.

I'll tell you what I like about the SDA diet: 81% of the diet comes from:

vegetables: 33%

fruits: 27%

legumes and soy: 12%

whole grains: 7%

nuts and seeds: 2%

The rest of it, in my opinion, has nothing to do with promoting health and longevity.

I like the pie chart showing the amount of each type of food that they consume in their diet. Some recommend the mediterranean diet but I have yet to see a pie chart.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 08-03-2022 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Follow the Adam & Eve Diet meaning anything Adam and Eve ate. Eat Raw organic fruits and vegetables, nuts (from trees)

The vast majority of adventists eat "clean" meats which include red meat, poultry, fish and also animal by-products like eggs and low-fat dairy. Their pattern of eating is similar to other blue zones.

The majority of adventists who identify and report as "vegetarian" allow themselves animal by-products such as eggs and dairy...just no flesh.

Weirdly, some self-identified "vegetarian" adventists eat fish because they don't consider it to be meat.

Several religions (and others for study purposes) consider "meat" to be only four-legged land animals, so fish and birds aren't "meat" and are not reported as "meat" consumption.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 08-03-2022 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-03-2022, 09:26 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Wikipedia is run by dangerous Big Pharma, pro-Drug, pro-vaccine idiot morons who know ZILCH about how the body works and natural health. IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:17 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
I thought this to be important enough to have it's own thread, otherwise unsuspecting people could be mislead.

"Eric Berg is an American quack, antivaxxer, chiropractor, cholesterol denialist, conspiracy theorist, scientologist, and Ketogenic diet advocate. Berg promotes pseudoscientific health advice and quackery. Berg is not a medical doctor. Berg practiced chiropractic for 29 years and is now a full time You Tube blogger who has made thousands of videos offering health advice. Berg has over 4 million subscribers and claims to have made 5000 videos. Berg operates the Health and Wellness Center in Alexandria, Virginia. He describes himself as "one of the top Ketogenic diet experts in the world."

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eric_Berg

Scroll down to where it says: Dubious health advice

"Berg is not a dietician or physician......"

Harvard Medical School says about the keto diet,

"It's advertised as a weight loss wonder, but this eating plan is actually a medical diet that comes with serious risks."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-the-keto-diet
I'm not buying this information either. It works both ways. I like Dr. Berg and think (what a concept) that his common sense advice with the information he provides is worthy of following.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
It sounds like that evaluation comes from the meat & dairy industry because they would like to confuse people into thinking that a plant based diet can include meat and dairy. The more people who believe it and do it rather than a straight vegan diet, the more sales they will have and the more money they will make. So confusion is their best friend.

In the link you provided the woman is talking about the Mediterranean diet which is not strictly a plant based diet. It's your standard meat, fish and dairy diet. It's just that they recommend smaller portions of animal protein than what people consume in the U.S.
The source in_newegland provided for you was Harvard Health...the same source you used to start this thread.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:37 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:

Adam and Eve were fictional characters in a fantasy novel written somewhere around 3000 years ago. They lived in a location that doesn't currently exist, in a climate that doesn't currently exist, under circumstances that don't exist, with animals that don't exist, plants that don't exist.

There is no "garden of eden" and females don't have an extra rib. I mean - c'mon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.