Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 PM

335 posts, read 619,964 times

Advertisements

It totally depends on what the doctor is for, but I generally prefer female doctors. The more I think about it:

- Family physician when I was a teen to young adult: male. Worst bedside manner ever. Hated him. Maybe he's why I prefer female doctors? I also remember that for for a male doctor, there had to be a female nurse in the room any time he was examining me. But a female doctor didn't have that requirement. I wonder why?

- Dermatologist as a teen: male. My parents and I were horrified when I was told to strip down for a full body check when I was just going in for a little acne. The next derm I went to (female) did not require a full body check on an acne visit.

- Ob/gyn: always female. I don't care how much schooling a male doctor has, until he goes through getting a period with horrific cramps, he just won't get it. I was pregnant a few years ago, and my female doctor wasn't available to go over the ultrasound with my husband and I. We got stuck with a male doctor, who repeatedly drilled me on, "are you sure that was when your last period was?" Hey moron, I think I would know when I have my period. The way he broke the news to us that we had lost the baby at 8 weeks, I wanted to slug him. And of course he will never know what it feels like to be pregnant and hear that kind of news. I spoke to my doctor later that day, and she was comforting, sympathetic, and handled the whole situation so much better.

Dentist and eye doctors: Males are fine. No clothes coming off on these appointments. Had great male doctors for both.

When I get my mammogram next week, it better be from a female. Unless the guy has had his chest squeezed between two cold metal plates and clamped down on, he's not coming anywhere near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
I would love to have a female urologist. I had a nurse/assistant in my urologist office once upon a time and it was wonderful. Hmmmmmm.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 AM

208 posts, read 218,617 times
I never had the need to go to a doctor but I would only accept a male one.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Well.

I don't go to conventional medical doctors, but I did once. I had an appointment with a regular medical doctor many, many years ago for an annual ladies examination with a female doctor. I was in the examination room in the obligatory examining gown when the physician's assistant came in and informed me that we would have to reschedule the appointment because the doctors daughter had gone into premature labor. The doctor had left her office full of patients so that she could "be at her daughter's side".

From that moment on, I never had anything to do with female doctors. Fortunately for me, for the last 30 years or so, I have not gone to a conventional doctor, but even in my own health arena, when I go to chiropractors, naturopaths, holistic doctors, etc., I will only choose men because women practitioners in these fields sometimes have pregnant daughters too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM

That was funny. I wouldn't go to a female doctor because they usually have no respect for a man's privacy. You already have to put up with nurses, who are largely female, at least I can avoid female doctors.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
My DH didn't care for the female DR who did the...ummm...glove test.

I said at least she's thorough

Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My DH didn't care for the female DR who did the...ummm...glove test.
He certainly isn't normal. That's a big violation of a patient's modesty.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX51 View Post
I wouldn't go to a female doctor because they usually have no respect for a man's privacy.
In what sense? Female Doctors have all the same rules of patient confidentiality and privacy as male doctors.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
In what sense? Female Doctors have all the same rules of patient confidentiality and privacy as male doctors.
In theory, yes. In practice, they're are women, they giggle and comment everything with everyone.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX51 View Post
In theory, yes. In practice, they're are women, they giggle and comment everything with everyone.
Which is malpractice and quite an accusation.

If you feel your confidentiality has been genuinely breached then report it. I rather expect however you are just mixing paranoia with baseless generalisations about the opposite sex and reaching a nonsense conclusion. They are professionals not teen school girls and you imaginging them talking about you giggling behind their hands does not mean they actually are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness