Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
They already were beaten badly! and were trying to surrender, what part of that do you not understand?

"Even without the atomic bombing attacks," concluded the United States Strategic Bombing Survey of 1946, "air supremacy over Japan could have exerted sufficient pressure to bring about unconditional surrender and obviate the need for invasion."
Hey genius, what do think they meant by 'sufficent pressure'? The air corp would have continued to bomb the crap out of every remaining structure in Japan, killing hundreds of thousands of more people. The raids on Tokoyo killed more people than both bombs combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This has not been buried. Only an idiot knows nothing of internment camps.

Many Japanese in America refused to sign papers that they had no allegiance to Hirohito. Many refused to sign that they would be willing to fight against Japan.
Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued Executive Order 9066, which permitted the military to circumvent the constitutional safeguards of American citizens in the name of national defense. The order set into motion the exclusion from certain areas, and the evacuation and mass incarceration of 120,000 persons of Japanese ancestry living on the West Coast, most of whom were U.S. citizens or legal permanent resident aliens.

These Japanese Americans, half of whom were children, were incarcerated for up to 4 years, without due process of law or any factual basis, in bleak, remote camps surrounded by barbed wire and armed guards.

http://www.pbs.org/childofcamp/history/

I don't see any Muslims been put in the camp following 911 attack. They shouldn't be.

I guess American government did learn from the history and that is the positive outcome. Don't you think?

"Many refused to sign that they would be willing to fight against Japan." huh? Where is that coming from? Why do you single out Japanese-American?

As the war progressed, many of the young Nisei, Japanese immigrants' children who were born with American citizenship, volunteered to serve in the United States military. Japanese Americans served in all the branches of the United States Armed Forces, including the United States Merchant Marines.[

Japanese-American service in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a fact.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-09-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
And just a note:

In my library, I have 'War's End'. It is an eyewitness account of the last atomic bomb mission by Major General Charles W. Sweeney USAF (Ret). His dedication reads as follows:

'I dedicate this book to my children and grandchildren and to future generations of Americans who seek an understanding of their history'.

I think this book goes far in putting the pieces together to understand that time. But I'd suggest reading his testimony given to the US Senate Committee on Rules and Administration- hearings on the Smithsonian Insitution: Management's Guidelines for the Future May 11, 1995. His testimony is riveting in describing a very bad time and the reasons why things were done at that bad time. Compelling and I think required reading so as to understand one's history.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:38 PM

328 posts, read 682,456 times
anyone who compares internment camps to concentration camps is just down right stupid with ignorance. They have either no idea what a concentration camp was, or are in denial. People who went to internment camps walked out----that cannot be said for most of those in concentration camps. Families stayed together in internment camps, but never did family see each other in concentration camps. The purpose of concentration camps was to burn bodies--create ashes. Not so with internment camps.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
anyone who compares internment camps to concentration camps is just down right stupid with ignorance..............
Stupid with ignorance......is that like the Bible says, "Great with child?"

Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
anyone who compares internment camps to concentration camps is just down right stupid with ignorance. They have either no idea what a concentration camp was, or are in denial. People who went to internment camps walked out----that cannot be said for most of those in concentration camps. Families stayed together in internment camps, but never did family see each other in concentration camps. The purpose of concentration camps was to burn bodies--create ashes. Not so with internment camps.
I agree with this statement 100%

There is no comparison between internment camps and concentration camps.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I think this issue can be settled by reading about the battle for Okinawa. It was a huge bloodbath for American troops and an indication how hard the Japanese would fight to protect their homeland. The fact that we used a nuke bombs to end the war matters little. We firebombed numerous cities in Japan that caused a great loss of life.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Oh, Boo-Friggety-Hoo.

We now know that the Japanese, the Russians, and Germans were working on nuclear bomb programs themselves. If any one of these countries had beaten us to it, does any thinking person really believe they wouldn't have used it?

Thank heaven we got there first.
What does that matter, the facts are we had it first and we did not have to use it.
What another country would have done is of no consequence because it didn't happen.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 AM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
What does that matter, the facts are we had it first and we did not have to use it.
What another country would have done is of no consequence because it didn't happen.
We could have stuck to our self righteous moral script, refused to bomb all those innocent Japanese, and waited until a submarine armed with a nuke surfaced in San Fransisco Bay.

But, then, most of us would not be here to talk about how terrible we were to not use what was available, and the conversation would then turn to how weak Truman was.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This issue has long been settled but every August we are subjected to a whole new set of arguments outlining the mistakes of using the nuclear weapons to end the war with Japan.

It was infinitely better to use nuclear weapons to end a war than to start one. People tend to forget is how little we knew about radiation and its effects at the time. It is easy to second-guess after the fact, but our survival, then and now, has hinged on knowing first-hand the devastation of nuclear weapons.

For that reason alone, if OP really wants to apologize to the Japanese which I view it as such an unnecessary act because NOBODY can really change the history, he can make sure history does not repeat itself.

Are you Japanese? Are you part Japanese? I have relatives been put in concentration camp. Like I posted earlier, I am 50% Japanese 25% Hawaiian 25% German/Irish, I am VERY proud of my heritage and I am fully aware of that part of the history.

What you and OP trying to preach is NOTHING new.

I just don't like agenda pusher who think they can change the history. You can argue with me all day long, you can not change the history. It is over!!!

My brother was a United States Recon Marine. He has served THIS country, America. OP viewed us Japanese or mixed Japanese American as just that Japanese, how ignorant can he possibly be?

The only reason no one has used nuclear weapons yet is because we know what they can do and we had to see that to make us not use them again. Ironic as it sounds, the survival of mankind has been at stake. Japanese people have paid the ultimate price. History is just that, history, it is over.

As for disarmament in general, to completely disarm is to ignore the lessons of WWII. It is utter foolishness to think that all countries will disarm, even atomically. Whether it is N Korea, or Iran, or some coalition of Islamic States or someone we don’t yet know, there will always be countries who will use what ever means they have to overcome others, and consequently, our country needs to maintain a strong defense with the most powerful technology available to deter those nations.

Great post Lily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History