Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times

Advertisements

Thought the history forum would be the category for this. Maybe, this has been asked before but
if you were able to go back in time, where would you like to go and what would you like to see.
Speaking for myself, I would want to go back to the;
Roman Empire (many locations as well as every day life of the people who lived in the cities)
Ancient Egypt during the time of Ramsesses II & see the Great Pyramids, Temple of Luxor, etc.
Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago
The three ages of the dinosaurs (Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Victorian Era except for the clothing, I hate Pinafors for little girls and all that frilly, long, frou-frou is enough to drive one to distraction.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I do not know what to answer before knowing the specific rules of this time travel. Is it a permanent trip to the past with the ability to return whenever I wished, or if I go, will I be stuck in that age forever?

Am I going as some sort of ethereal observer who cannot be seen and who can travel about as rapidly and widely as desired? Or will I arrive and have to interact with the people I encountered, as well as being subject to the diseases of the past? Will I be able to pass myself off as someone from that age or will my modern attitudes and vocabulary give me away?

Will I have some Star Trek style universal translator which enables me to comprehend whatever language is being spoken wherever I go, or will it all be babble to me?

I think you can understand why someone would wish to knows these things in advance. You listed the dinosaur ages as one option.....will I be fighting for my life if I select that or am I an untouchable observer?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
^ Possibly over-thinking this?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
The day before the last PowerBall drawing. Equipped with the winning numbers, of course.

Then I'd put that into gold ingots and go back to about 1968, deposit the money into a Swiss bank account and start buying stocks. Berkshire Hathaway would be a good place to start at that time. Then I'd put some money into other stocks that made a lot of money for shareholders in a hurry, such as Apple in 2009.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I do not know what to answer before knowing the specific rules of this time travel. Is it a permanent trip to the past with the ability to return whenever I wished, or if I go, will I be stuck in that age forever?

Am I going as some sort of ethereal observer who cannot be seen and who can travel about as rapidly and widely as desired? Or will I arrive and have to interact with the people I encountered, as well as being subject to the diseases of the past? Will I be able to pass myself off as someone from that age or will my modern attitudes and vocabulary give me away?

Will I have some Star Trek style universal translator which enables me to comprehend whatever language is being spoken wherever I go, or will it all be babble to me?

I think you can understand why someone would wish to knows these things in advance. You listed the dinosaur ages as one option.....will I be fighting for my life if I select that or am I an untouchable observer?
No rules.
Can leave at any time without any harm.
Can blend in and have the ability to understand/comprehend the language
Untouchable to dinosaurs
....and able to bring gold to buy objects, paintings, etc..and bring them back.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
^ Possibly over-thinking this?
Okay...suppose you chose Dinosaur Town 80 million years ago. You are transported back and discover that the ancient beasts all view you as potential dinner and there is no means to return you to modern times. You also discover that you are solely responsible for feeding yourself and finding shelter.

Would you then be regretting not having thought it all out in advance? Not having asked a few more questions before signing up?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post

No rules.
Can leave at any time without any harm.
Can blend in and have the ability to understand/comprehend the language
Untouchable to dinosaurs
....and able to bring gold to buy objects, paintings, etc..and bring them back.
Very well, thank you for the clarifications.

In those circumstances, with my survival assured, I would first wish to satisfy my curiosity about the life and death of Jesus..what was he really about?

I would also like to go back and have a front row seat for the fall of the Alamo and for the battle of the Little Big Horn. I've studied both of those conflicts a great deal and I would love to clear up some questions.

A spectator's view of any of the great battles of the past would be cool...Waterloo, Marathon, Gettysburg, Cannae, Crecy, Midway.....

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Very well, thank you for the clarifications.

In those circumstances, with my survival assured, I would first wish to satisfy my curiosity about the life and death of Jesus..what was he really about?

I would also like to go back and have a front row seat for the fall of the Alamo and for the battle of the Little Big Horn. I've studied both of those conflicts a great deal and I would love to clear up some questions.

A spectator's view of any of the great battles of the past would be cool...Waterloo, Marathon, Gettysburg, Cannae, Crecy, Midway.....
I'm thinking that I would teleport to Dealey Plaza on November 22, 1963, and cover the area with hidden high-resolution video cameras.

I think being a witness to the Passion would be a good idea, too. That way, I'd clear up 2000 years of religious debate in a trice.

And, just for the heck of it, I'd pop into Roswell, New Mexico, in 1947 just to see what really happened. Was it a weather balloon or not?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:

The first thing I thought of 'will I be able to come back?'
If so then the possibilities are endless but If it were a one way trip with no return I probably wouldn't go back farther than 100 years if not less. There are endless times that I would certainly enjoying visiting but very few that I would have the courage to live through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History