Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 06:47 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times

Advertisements

I love the open floor plan of the house we are living in. It’s light and airy, cathedral ceilings, large windows. It’s MCM, as are quite a few others in this neighborhood.

It did take a while to get used to the acoustics, though. Sometimes even if I’m sitting in the living room watching tv, it’s difficult for me to hear the tv.

Also, the smells of food being cooked does tend to spread everywhere. It usually ends up in the bedrooms……by the time you can’t smell the steak you cooked for dinner out in the main part of the house, you go to bed and there it is!

Old 03-13-2024, 08:27 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Do you never clean up? Why would they be in view much longer than it takes to cook the meal? Are you afraid of being judged? By whom? Wouldn't friends and family coming over for a meal understand that you get pots and pans dirty while cooking?
I don't like to look at dirty pots and pans and dishes. NO, I don't always clean up while or immediately after cooking/eating. That's the way I live. If you clean up as you go and never have dirties in the sink, or if you don't mind looking at it, great! You don't get to decide MY preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Away from whom?
Away from whomever I want to be away from. I've been married 35 years. Believe it or not, there are times when my wife and I DO NOT want to interact, neither does one of us want to hide out in a bedroom. With a non-open house, you can go into the study, or one person can sit at the dining table and the other in the LR, or what have you. Just because YOU want everyone to be loudly interacting constantly does not give you the right to dictate MY preferences. MY preferences are for MY home to be quiet most of the time, with places where I can be "alone" while my spouse is also in the house. I get to have these preferences. You don't get to tell me that my preferences are wrong, or to imply that somehow they're indications of mental disturbances. I'm not going to expand further or I might violate TOS.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Away from whomever I want to be away from. I've been married 35 years. Believe it or not, there are times when my wife and I DO NOT want to interact, neither does one of us want to hide out in a bedroom. With a non-open house, you can go into the study, or one person can sit at the dining table and the other in the LR, or what have you. Just because YOU want everyone to be loudly interacting constantly does not give you the right to dictate MY preferences. MY preferences are for MY home to be quiet most of the time, with places where I can be "alone" while my spouse is also in the house. I get to have these preferences. You don't get to tell me that my preferences are wrong, or to imply that somehow they're indications of mental disturbances. I'm not going to expand further or I might violate TOS.

WOW! Feel better now?
Got the stump off your shoulder?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:08 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
WOW! Feel better now?
Got the stump off your shoulder?
Well, I get a little peeved when obsessive control-freak extroverts imply (or say outright) that I am somehow a sicko because I want to be quiet and by myself sometimes.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:33 AM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Why people just can't accept other people's preferences?
Accept the fact that there are some people who love open floor plans and those who dislike it.
There is no need to insult each other.
Some of you need to tone it down. Please.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:36 AM

4,214 posts, read 6,902,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Accept the fact that there are some people who love open floor plans and those who dislike it.
Agreed

Old 03-13-2024, 11:38 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love the open floor plan of the house we are living in. It’s light and airy, cathedral ceilings, large windows. It’s MCM, as are quite a few others in this neighborhood.

It did take a while to get used to the acoustics, though. Sometimes even if I’m sitting in the living room watching tv, it’s difficult for me to hear the tv.

Also, the smells of food being cooked does tend to spread everywhere. It usually ends up in the bedrooms……by the time you can’t smell the steak you cooked for dinner out in the main part of the house, you go to bed and there it is!
No problem here with a commercial hood venting to the outside.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:26 PM

369 posts, read 105,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some of you need to tone it down. Please.
The title of the thread implies that people who like open floor plans are wrong enough that they should NOT be allowed that choice. It is outright stated that the ONLY reason they like that style is that they've been brainwashed by HGTV type shows. It's insulting to start with.

I don't care what style a person wants. It's not about the preferences, but the reasoning used to come up with the opinion the title espouses and the statements made to support it. So I'm going to explore that logic. Open floorplans should not exist because someone is afraid of being judged for leaving their dishes pile up in the kitchen? Really? Open floorplans should not exist because a brass player is disrupting their spouse's TV watching? Really?

When the premise of the thread is an insult to other people's choices, we shouldn't be surprised when the response is similar.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:28 PM

369 posts, read 105,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I get a little peeved when obsessive control-freak extroverts imply (or say outright) that I am somehow a sicko because I want to be quiet and by myself sometimes.
And I get a little peeved when people like you outright state that the ONLY reason we might like that style is that we've been brainwashed by HGTV type shows. You're insulting to START with then act all surprised when you get that attitude returned to you.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:01 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
No problem here with a commercial hood venting to the outside.
Probably right. We do have a vent, but it doesn’t do the best job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating