Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 07:07 AM

253 posts, read 123,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It still leaves enough of an opening where the predominant natural light from the kitchen/dining area comes into the living area, but creates a defined space in the kitchen and living area. We're pretty happy with it.
Is that Pewabic tile on the backsplash? Regardless, I really like it.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:09 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We don't do fads. We like the open floorplan because the old homes we grew up in were not, and they were claustrophobic. Our living room and dining room are open to each other. Right now I'm in the family room open completely to the kitchen, facing a wall that is all windows. except for a fireplace. We like stainless steel because we find it attractive and easy to maintain. We hate granite counters, so we got Quartz. We even prefer carpet over hardwood.

Same here.

and that sounds heavenly to me

Old 03-16-2024, 12:16 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I get a little peeved when obsessive control-freak extroverts imply (or say outright) that I am somehow a sicko because I want to be quiet and by myself sometimes.
Well, actually, he was responding to me, and I couldn’t agree with you more.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:00 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Fads are trends that at some point thankfully for those not caught up in them, are eventually over. Open floor plans, all white kitchens and stainless steel appliances may seem like home decor cockroaches, but inevitably each will find an end date.

Old 03-17-2024, 05:23 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fads are trends that at some point thankfully for those not caught up in them, are eventually over. Open floor plans, all white kitchens and stainless steel appliances may seem like home decor cockroaches, but inevitably each will find an end date.

Well if a "fad" can run for over a hundred years lol. My house is open plan. 114 years old. While the sink and stove are not visible from the living room, I love standing at my kitchen counter and can see all through my house. Dining room, laundry area, living room, I can even see through the door of my bedroom that leads to the front bedroom, I hung a painting I like on the front wall there so I can look at it, all the way from my kitchen counter.

It's so perfect it's like it was made to order for me

Old 03-20-2024, 09:04 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Our 1989 home has a closed and open floor plan - meaning that there is open space, but there are walls and in some cases doors. The kitchen has three openings on one side and a pocket door to the parlor on the other. There's a two story living room that has a rec space and hall overlooking. The dining room, parlor and main rec room are all closed off.

I don't like merged family room and kitchens.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:45 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Part of the reason, as I noted before, that people who don't like the open plan (and of course, there are variants from less open to more open) get so torqued up over this, is how extremely difficult it is to find houses that are not either built that way, or modified that way. In most cases it is NOT practical to add walls back, never mind the cost. Add walls to separate the areas of an open plan into rooms and you'll almost invariably end up with long sausage shaped rooms without natural light, or obstructed ventilation, etc.,e tc.,e tc.

Now the poster above who challenged me, pointing out that I was only familiar with houses I have personally viewed, in only two geographical areas of the US, was correct about that, and I requested examples of localities where the standard in new construction and/or remodeling is to retain, add walls, and in general default to the non-open/separate rooms concept. I am still waiting for examples of such localities in the US. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:03 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I grew up in a 1950s Cape... no doors (but a walkway) between the living and dining room, but the kitchen was a separate room with a door, as I recall. I like 'rooms', but I think a 'partially open' floor plan is okay. A kitchen needs to have some walls. I don't wanna see the sink from everywhere in the main living space.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:20 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
For a long time I worked in an office that was essentially the open floor plan. There were rows of desks with worker bees doing paperwork or making phone calls. Back in that time smoking was allowed indoors and the place reeked and had a smoky fog. The last thing I wanted to come home to was an open floor plan. Our first house was a split foyer with stairs going up or down. (is that style still being built?) the second house had an entrance foyer with three doorways — great room, dining room, and hall to bedrooms. That worked pretty well with spaces separated. Now I live alone in a home where the kitchen and dining room are one big room. The sunken living room is off the dining room separated by a half wall. That is almost an open plan but the step down and half wall is sort of a compromise. The hall leads to the bedrooms from the living room. There is a dedicated TV room so not in the living. When I was looking for my last house there were new “starter” homes with open plans with enough room for basketball, it seemed. It seemed very uncomfortable to me.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:43 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well if a "fad" can run for over a hundred years lol. My house is open plan. 114 years old. While the sink and stove are not visible from the living room, I love standing at my kitchen counter and can see all through my house. Dining room, laundry area, living room, I can even see through the door of my bedroom that leads to the front bedroom, I hung a painting I like on the front wall there so I can look at it, all the way from my kitchen counter.

It's so perfect it's like it was made to order for me
I am referring to the demand for open floor plans which seems fad-driven when many fail to realize the limitations in decorating and privacy once they've moved in. It has become increasingly difficult to find homes built in a traditional manner, especially newer construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating