Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 AM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times

Advertisements

Gosh, what a lousy situation! So rude!

Don't know if this will help in any way, but here goes. I'm thinking of a chain with two stakes at either end with a sign that says "No Parking" in the middle. You drive the stakes into the ground on either side of your driveway with the chain HOPEFULLY blocking access. With those nuts, you'd probably need to sink the stakes in concrete.

Why don't they just park on the street in front of the house they are visiting?

When you go on vacation, can you somehow park one of your cars, if you have two, to block the driveway?

Was your house vacant before you bought it? Is that why they feel free to park there? What about your HOA, if you have one? Is there a community house in your subdivision where the next door neighbors could go to entertan?

If you go with hedges, could you possibly add some pretty colored, large boulders (maybe gotten from some woods somewhere so they would be free) right next to the hedges, but on your side of the hedges. That way, if those noodniks run over your hedges, they will also possibly tear up the under carriage of their car?

Arrrgggghhh! Great googly moogly!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:50 PM

113 posts, read 770,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
If you go with hedges, could you possibly add some pretty colored, large boulders (maybe gotten from some woods somewhere so they would be free) right next to the hedges, but on your side of the hedges. That way, if those noodniks run over your hedges, they will also possibly tear up the under carriage of their car?
I had to laugh at this...

I was actually thinking that when I go on vacation, I should line my driveway with some type of spiked chain, so if they drive over it hoping to park, they'll get a nice surprise! Moohahaha!

I'm calling the township first thing tomorrow to ask if permits are necessary for fencing or hedges. Anyway, I've been dying to plant some trees and was curious if those needed permits also.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
I'm thinking of a chain with two stakes at either end with a sign that says "No Parking" in the middle. You drive the stakes into the ground on either side of your driveway with the chain HOPEFULLY blocking access.
That's a great idea Virgo! I forgot about those .

Luckyduck, try looking at Walpole Woodworks for these chain-type fences. They make quality fencing, though expensive.

My other thought about the fence vs hedge is that you might want to try a black chainlink with a hedge growing up against and through it.

Black chainlink is nearly invisible - it blends in quite well. You can cement the poles into the ground, so if they do hit it with their car, they won't knock your fence down. Meanwhile, the chainlink protects the hedges that you grow right up against the fence (otherwise they may drive right over your young hedge ).

A combination of black chainlink+hedge along the side, and a chain fence with a sign across the front of the driveway will blend in well together and cover all of the issues.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:46 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Can't speak to all cases but most that i know of blocking access to a driveway is a ticketable offense. I've had to resort to that due to a neighbor that thought nothing of it. We had a double width driveway so his reasonong was that if he only blocked one side what's the big deal.......Grrr

A couple of tickets later he saw the light...

Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Lol a spiked stip; you and the hubby think alike. I was reading your problem to him and he suggested roofing nails for when you go on vacation. Just remember people who are nervy enough to park in someone's else's driveway aren't worried about your feelings so don't tip-toe around theirs. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
OHHH did I have this problem. Being new to the neighborhood we put up with it too, for a while. Then when we finally one time asked the neighbor to please move his car out of our driveway - the neighbor started to cop an attitude and get mouthy, DH and the neighbor really got into a yelling match.
The neighbor has never parked there again... BUT if he ever does, we are instructed to call the police and they will issue a ticket and have the car towed. And I think the neighbor knows this.
SO don't hesitate to call the cops, these people have been warned twice.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
You could charge them a fee for each vehicle and length of time they are on your property.
What a pain though! I hope it gets worked out soon for you!
Tiffany

Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
My parents have trouble with this before. One time their neighbors were having a party and 2 of the *******s decided to park in my parents' driveway (thinking that they wouldn't be going anywhere). Never asked or anything. So my dad (who can have a short temper at times) went over to the neighbor's home and politely asked if the owners of the 2 cars could move them since they were leaving to go and eat. Well they moved them but as soon as my parent's left, the same two people parked right back in their driveway. Well my father had enough of that BS so he went to the neighbor's house again and demanded that the owners move their cars and they downright refused. So my father called the police, had the vehicles towed, and impounded.

If someone EVER decides to park their car in my driveway without my permission what-so-ever, I'm having them towed. Not even going to tell the owners.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
that's how to do it...and I'd bet once is enough..

Old 07-23-2007, 02:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
We have some weird stuff going on in this neighborhood...

Nobody uses their driveways!

That's where they plant the lawn chairs and drink beer while spying on the neighbors.
Let me clarify - this is not hicksville and we all have ample BACK YARDS, porches and individual driveways made to fit 4 cars...

They don't even park on the swale...everybody parks fully in the street, both ways. It is the most...

Shaking head.

I have some truly horrible neighbors. I've talked about the drugs, crime and insanity before.

Think the kids are bad? Meet the parents.

But yes, one day I had the guy who lives right across the street from me (the one that obsesses about his lawn at 3am and intentionally burns-out in front of his own house) on the other side of the intersection, park his truck to completely block off my driveway. And my truck was in the driveway...husband's car was not.
Just pulled up and parked. Got out. Stood there with Napoleon and some other, uhm, residents. He couldn't park his truck in HIS driveway and walk over three houses to visit with my vulgar-mouthed, dope-smoking headache next door?

I walked out there and told him please to move it. Period. Not sweetly.
Druggie eventually moved elsewhere and idiot doesn't talk to me. I don't miss the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House