Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of siphoing their gas. "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was my car since it's in MY driveway!"

Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
are you guys saying that bbq's on my driveway makes me a bad neighbor?
I'm confused. My parents have bbq'd on their San Diego condo driveway my entire life. We use the back part of our driveway next to the detached garage to cook-out. This is right next to the backyard, but as we don't have a deck, we set up on the driveway. Seems perfectly normal to me!

But of course you can't park on your neighbor's grass/driveway. Can't believe there's anybody that would do this! Hopefully the OP's hedge will do the trick.

Ditto. My BBQ rolls in and out of the garage and we use part of our driveway as a sort of paved patio since the grassy lawn is small and lumpy. This is at the back of the property though, next to our backyard. Our driveway is long and we still have room for many cars at the front of it.

Not fair to generalize, every situation is different. Besides, if I chose to BBQ in my front yard or 5 feet off the street in my driveway I don't see how it has any effect on my neighbors or what business it is of theirs. {shrug} I don't because I like my privacy, but still....

Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
When you find the cars in your driveway I would decide that the grass needs to be cut and make sure you aim the chute right at their cars and blow dust dirt and grass all over them. We had this problem when I was little. People down the street would throw these huge keg parties and their guests would park all up and down the street in people's front yards. My Dad went and got these huge boulders from the river and put them every three or four feet. Nobody could move the rocks and if they tried their cars would get stuck. As far as a fence goes I would put it up. They should be able to manuever their car down their driveway without going into your grass. Good luck to you.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Ditto. My BBQ rolls in and out of the garage and we use part of our driveway as a sort of paved patio since the grassy lawn is small and lumpy. This is at the back of the property though, next to our backyard. Our driveway is long and we still have room for many cars at the front of it.

Not fair to generalize, every situation is different. Besides, if I chose to BBQ in my front yard or 5 feet off the street in my driveway I don't see how it has any effect on my neighbors or what business it is of theirs. {shrug} I don't because I like my privacy, but still....
Every situation IS different, that's for sure.

One of my neighbors is VERY social - cars coming and going all the time. So when the neighbor puts his own three cars on the street (so he can use the garage as a covered porch) and then has 6 or 8 friends come over, the SUVs stretch for quite a distance. When he's in the mood, this can happen 3, 4, or more times per week.

He is well within his legal right, so there's not a thing I can do about it, but I do wish he was more considerate.

I've often been ready to go work on my lawn, only to find not an inch of space for me to manuever the mower or whatever at the edge of my lawn. I've had guests who have not been able to park in front of my house when they visit.

Probably the biggest irritant - and that's all it is really, just an irritant, I do like they guy - is that it has been shown to decrease property values when cars are parked on the street in a neighborhood. Again, not a huge deal, but while house-shopping, I myself have driven right back out of neighborhoods where there are cars parked all over the street, plenty of people will (people are generally looking for a quiet neighborhood and the cars give the impression that it is not quiet...whether that is the actual case or not).

I'm not saying he should stop having parties, but if he moved his party to the backyard, he'd be able to corral those cars in closer to his own house...that's all.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
id place a sign " $40 parking space, pay or be towed"

Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id place a sign " $40 parking space, pay or be towed"
I'd be raking in the dough !

Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I'm not a lawyer but I do understand some incursion of property laws. I believe you can actually file suit against them as a "tort" or a "taking" action in court. In actuality, if I am not mistaken you can charge them rent for imposing on your property. There was a case in NYC about 20 years ago that I had to study in one of the few college classes I took. Essentially, when the cable company was placing the cable boxes throughout the city to give the city cable they placed one of the cable boxes on the side of some guy's house. For years, the guy didn't do anything about it. Anyway, to make a long story short, since the cable company imposed on his property the guy was able to file suit with the cable company and sue them for rent for every day the cable box sat in his yard. I think this was over a 10 year period and the guy walked away with some ridiculous amount of money. I can't remember if it is a "tort" or a "taking" action but it is a legal process. The last thing you want to do is put a spike strip down. Although comical, you can be held liable for the damage to their vehicle. It's sad, but true. Just because it is your property doesn't make it legal to harm someone else's property or another person because they are crossing into your property. They can most definitely file a lawsuit against you and win. It's happened A LOT.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
We had a similar parking problem in a neighborhood with no on-street parking allowed. You had to park in your garage as the HOA covenants prohibited cars parked in the driveway overnight (except for temporary guests, who had to register their cars at the clubhouse or they'd be towed by the HOA).

With parking at such a limited availability, we also had neighbors who had a constant stream of friends and family at their house ... and they always parked in our driveway, blocking us from getting our cars in or out night and day. The HOA was of no assistance for our problem except to send out a letter for folks to be considerate of their neighbor's property and parking; and they built several "guest" parking lots in the community.

After asking my neighbors many times to move their cars ... and getting a very slow and rude response most times, I found the only way got them to quit blocking my place was to start doing all those odd jobs I'd needed to do around the place for a long time. You know ... spray painting the patio lawn furniture, painting pieces for my boats, decorating the wife's planter boxes, etc. That or I'd need to use the "spinner" to clean my varnish brush or latex paint roller from my other painting projects. Sure made a mess on those Caddy's and MB's that were in my driveway ... especially when those folks would have all their family over for Sunday AM and then use one car to go to church together, leaving their cars in my driveway for an indefinite day while they went out to brunch after the services.

Oh my ... you mean I might have gotten that paint on your car from my sloppy workmanship? Well, if you had been around I could have asked you to move it before I did my chores ... of course, if I'd been able to use my car for transportation, I had other places and things to do for the morning.

I did get a nasty letter and a bill for one of the cars' detailing to remove the paint with the letterhead from an attorney. Told him to take me to court if that was his pleasure, where I could explain the circumstances. I never heard from them again, and the family moved out a few months later when their lease ran out.

I would check with your local towing companies before having anybody towed. I checked into that with this place and they wouldn't come out and tow without a guarantee of payment, in other words, my credit card to tow the car off my place. They'd send me a refund when/if the car was paid for at their lot. I'm not sure of the statutes they were citing, but it was awfully expensive for me to get the cars towed away if that's what I was going to do. Anyway, it was the last place I've lived with a dominant HOA, and I hope never to have to deal with all that nonsense again ....

Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
We had a similar parking problem in a neighborhood with no on-street parking allowed. You had to park in your garage as the HOA covenants prohibited cars parked in the driveway overnight (except for temporary guests, who had to register their cars at the clubhouse or they'd be towed by the HOA).

With parking at such a limited availability, we also had neighbors who had a constant stream of friends and family at their house ... and they always parked in our driveway, blocking us from getting our cars in or out night and day. The HOA was of no assistance for our problem except to send out a letter for folks to be considerate of their neighbor's property and parking; and they built several "guest" parking lots in the community.

After asking my neighbors many times to move their cars ... and getting a very slow and rude response most times, I found the only way got them to quit blocking my place was to start doing all those odd jobs I'd needed to do around the place for a long time. You know ... spray painting the patio lawn furniture, painting pieces for my boats, decorating the wife's planter boxes, etc. That or I'd need to use the "spinner" to clean my varnish brush or latex paint roller from my other painting projects. Sure made a mess on those Caddy's and MB's that were in my driveway ... especially when those folks would have all their family over for Sunday AM and then use one car to go to church together, leaving their cars in my driveway for an indefinite day while they went out to brunch after the services.

Oh my ... you mean I might have gotten that paint on your car from my sloppy workmanship? Well, if you had been around I could have asked you to move it before I did my chores ... of course, if I'd been able to use my car for transportation, I had other places and things to do for the morning.

I did get a nasty letter and a bill for one of the cars' detailing to remove the paint with the letterhead from an attorney. Told him to take me to court if that was his pleasure, where I could explain the circumstances. I never heard from them again, and the family moved out a few months later when their lease ran out.

I would check with your local towing companies before having anybody towed. I checked into that with this place and they wouldn't come out and tow without a guarantee of payment, in other words, my credit card to tow the car off my place. They'd send me a refund when/if the car was paid for at their lot. I'm not sure of the statutes they were citing, but it was awfully expensive for me to get the cars towed away if that's what I was going to do. Anyway, it was the last place I've lived with a dominant HOA, and I hope never to have to deal with all that nonsense again ....
No way !

I would lose it! What if you had an emergency with one of your family members and needed to rush to the ER?

I would gladly pay for their car to be towed (I'd pay extra for it to be towed to a far away county too ).

Old 07-29-2007, 10:15 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
riveree ... if I had a medical emergency with a family member, I'd be calling for an ambulance, not trying to cheat death by hauling a-- through traffic with an umarked vehicle, no warning lights, siren, etc.

I believe the reason that the tow company would not tow without payment up front was because there was no civil legal reason at my point of inconvenience for them to remove and impound another's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House