Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Holy cow anifani I can't believe this thread is still going. I think this is a contender for longstanding blog if not a runner up for one of the longest w/ consistent content.

Hair dye-- prevention is easier. Farm sink rinse works best. hehehehe

Bleach droplets ruined clothes? Nah. Just bleach them the rest of the way so it's consistent. You've only lost some color, not the clothes. Once the color lack is uniform you can always try a RIT kit to transform it into something else if white bothers you. Personally I don't trust myself with anything white. Just too messy about life projects to volunteer for worry. Dirt color is far more forgiving a friend.

Georgia and carolina red clay? May I interest you in a terra cotta wardrobe?
ROFL!! Hey, Harborlady! Yes, this thread continues on . . . and I only wish I had it on my blog!!! This has been one of the most helpful idea exchanges EVER!!!

I have a velour outfit (love to wear them around the house - as frumpy as that sounds!!!) and ruined it w/ clorox. Leaned on the countertop after spraying it and so have these "stripes" on the sleeves! I think I will see if I can find some RIT DYE (anyone else remember using that back in the 70s?) and see if I can salvage that outfit. The only thing is - I seem to remember my momma using it and making a mess in the washing machine . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post

Gosh, I never thought someone would try to DRINK bleach and "kill/cure" HIV.

It is to disinfect surfaces in the home... toilet seats, dishes, door knobs etc for people living with HIV who live with family who are HIV free.

{whew!} thanks for catching that.
Surely no one would think that - it says something about not being for consumption on the bottle . . . I think.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
Hence the "while disinfecting the bathroom while at home".....I hope no one drinks bleach!

We've told our HIV patients to use Lysol. It used to say right on the can that it can kill HIV....not sure if it still does. Disclaimer: Use on surfaces only!!!
Thanks!

I did say while disinfecting the bathroom.

Lysol is good as well, I guess bleach is cheaper. $1 for a bottle and you use like a tablespoon in a quart bottle.

DISCLAIMER! Not positive about the concentration, so please don't quote. The point is, bleach is so much cheaper than Lysol.

BTW are you talking about the Lysol spray or lysol in bottle?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I did say while disinfecting the bathroom.

Lysol is good as well, I guess bleach is cheaper. $1 for a bottle and you use like a tablespoon in a quart bottle.

DISCLAIMER! Not positive about the concentration, so please don't quote. The point is, bleach is so much cheaper than Lysol.

You know . . . I have looked for Lysol in the bottle lately and can't find the concentrated stuff. A sales clerk told me they are no longer making the concentrate. Anyone know if that is true? I always liked the concentrate b/c it took up less space and lasted a long long time.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You know . . . I have looked for Lysol in the bottle lately and can't find the concentrated stuff. A sales clerk told me they are no longer making the concentrate. Anyone know if that is true? I always liked the concentrate b/c it took up less space and lasted a long long time.
Just found it online at the Lysol site

LYSOL® | Disinfect To Protect | Products | Brand Concentrate (http://www.lysol.com/products/all-purpose-cleaners/brand-concentrate/ - broken link)

and here is a place I guess you can buy it online. I bet you can find it locally as well.

Buy Lysol® Brand Concentrate - Original Scent: 12 OZ at TeeBop.com

Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 AM

573 posts, read 1,690,002 times
Quote:

It was the Lysol spray in the metal can......I'm pretty sure they still sell it.

But yeah, bleach is 10,000 x cheaper.....

Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 AM

99 posts, read 612,555 times
I found that using a Clorox bleach pen on the caulk in a shower and leaving it on overnight makes all of the mildew stains disappear. Easy, no mess application and much easier than recaulking!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewba View Post
I found that using a Clorox bleach pen on the caulk in a shower and leaving it on overnight makes all of the mildew stains disappear. Easy, no mess application and much easier than recaulking!
I think a less expensive alternative to the bleach pen is just use soft scrub w/bleach (if you have white grout). I just squirt it on and use a glove to smooth it into the grout. Let sit and rinse. It's worked for me for years and I had white tile in the kitchen and baths

I would also seal my grout every year too and that did help too.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I think a less expensive alternative to the bleach pen is just use soft scrub w/bleach (if you have white grout). I just squirt it on and use a glove to smooth it into the grout. Let sit and rinse. It's worked for me for years and I had white tile in the kitchen and baths

I would also seal my grout every year too and that did help too.
Soft Scrub w/ Bleach is great stuff! Just be careful about your clothing. I just ruined a running suit while cleaning out a sink. I know - that was dumb but I just didn't realize some of the residue had gotten on my arms.

Speaking of which . . . anyone use RIT DYE? My mom used it years ago. Would love to know if anyone has used it lately and if they got good results.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:13 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,802 times
Default Sssshh! Secret of Removing Water Stains from Wood Floors

The key to removing water stains from wood floors is to recognize how deeply the stain has penetrated the wood. Even a floor that has been sealed and waxed can allow water to penetrate if left there long enough, so pay close attention to the type of stain you want to fix.

The most common kind of stain appears as a white spot that is a bit hazy or even has greyish tones. Removing this kind of stain is relatively easy. You simply need to buff the finish gently with a soft cloth and a relatively mild abrasive. Good choices for abrasives include non-gel toothpaste or the kind of polish designed for use on the finish of your car. Gently rub the abrasive on the white spot until it disappears.

Sometimes, though, water gets down deeper into the wood of your floor and creates a deeper stain that can be black or white depending on the type of wood. This kind of stain requires a bit more effort to remove because it is a deeper stain. However there are steps that you can take to remove even this type of type of flaw to your wood floors.

The first step to removing deeper stains is to mask off the area around the stain so that the non-stained areas are protected. Next, remove the old finish and or wax and then use oxalic acid to remove the stain and bring back the original color of the wood. Once the area is dry, simply re-stain or seal it to match the surrounding floor. With some care and attention to detail, removing water stains from wood floors can be relatively simple.

Mod Cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-06-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House