Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 03:31 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times

Advertisements

I had a Cuisinart brewer. Really nice unit and I appreciated that it used an insulated carafe. That keeps the coffee hot without overheating it and making it sour. But after about a year, one day the brewer started smoking, then quit working. I tossed the unit, but kept the insulated carafe, which now keeps my coffee warm after I've brewed it in a large Bodum french press.

The french press only makes about 32 ounces of coffee, and the carafe will hold 48 ounces, so I sometimes make high-octane coffee in the press, then pour another two cups of hot water into the coffee in the carafe to bring the octane level back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 06:14 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
This is supposedly the best coffee maker for homes on the market. It is the only one that properly heats the water to the right temperature before filtering it. It can be found online in lots of places, not just Sur La Table.

Technivorm® Moccamaster Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe, Polished Silver | Sur La Table

Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We have a $20 Mr Coffee, that has been going strong for at least 5 years. Its not beautiful, but it works fine.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I am also happy with my Bunn for drip coffee and my 30 year old Farberware 4-cup percolator to Stash in a suitcase when we travel.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Mine is a Rival single-serving (confirmed this so I could recommend it); just $9 at Walmart. Spending more is wasteful, IMHO.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:38 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
I am bumping this thread up because I have some questions about the coffee makers some people mentioned and it triggered me in my recent searches (even tho I have now purchased a new coffee maker) of a coffee brewer that would help reduce the coffee acid, like a cold brew~? Does anyone have one~? Numerous of people here mentioned French Presses or something you get at a special store that isn't brewed but you pour water into or something. I can't think of the name nor the store. Any info is appreciated.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I am bumping this thread up because I have some questions about the coffee makers some people mentioned and it triggered me in my recent searches (even tho I have now purchased a new coffee maker) of a coffee brewer that would help reduce the coffee acid, like a cold brew~? Does anyone have one~? Numerous of people here mentioned French Presses or something you get at a special store that isn't brewed but you pour water into or something. I can't think of the name nor the store. Any info is appreciated.

If you’re issue is too much coffee acid maybe you have been buying the wrong coffee beans…………. (just a thought)

Old 01-31-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If you’re issue is too much coffee acid maybe you have been buying the wrong coffee beans…………. (just a thought)
I know that and that is why I have asked ya'all. The low acid brands I found online today are not available where I am at, only online. I bought a Starbucks coffee maker during Christmas since my K-cup when out numerous of times and replaced it numerous of times. Long story short, they don't even make low acid coffee in the K-cups either.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:13 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Let's focus on what is important.
1. Good quality coffee. You buy whole beans. We buy Home - Novo Coffee - Denver, CO, but there are many good brands.
2. Grind beans immediately before use. With a burr grinder. A blade grinder (e.g., Krups) produces a much lower quality.
3. Hot water poured over.

P.S. Low acid
http://www.tiemans.com/

Last edited by davebarnes; 01-31-2016 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Let's focus on what is important.
1. Good quality coffee. You buy whole beans. We buy Home - Novo Coffee - Denver, CO, but there are many good brands.
2. Grind beans immediately before use. With a burr grinder. A blade grinder produces a much lower quality.
3. Hot water poured over.

I use to buy beans and grind my beans with a Krups grinder, but I have moved on to the single cup machines. May not be a good choice now. I've never heard of Nova, but will check it out. Thanks for your post

**EDIT** I just checked out Novo and they don't seem to have a low acidic coffee, which I really need I think. Folgers make it and that would be easier to pick up at the grocery, but one I found online called "Puroast" and is not found locally, which seem like a better coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House