Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 08:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

When my old Mr. Coffee gave out, friends recommended the Kurig (sp?) for over $100, plus the pricey pods. Presumably because it's currently trendy. No thanks! Found a perfectly good single-cup coffeemaker with a permanent filter and insulated travel thermos for just $9.99 at Walmart (also have them at the dollar stores). Very happy after a year with it; so happy that I bought a second one as a backup! Goodwills are also full of unwanted secondhand Kurigs at great savings, if you must have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I also want to try the French Press but I'm not sure how it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's a glass pitcher into which you pour hot water plus the coffee and let steep. After a few minutes, you push a mesh plunger through the water to the bottom of the pitcher where it traps the grounds. The coffee can then be poured off.
Just wanted to add...with a french press, you need to use coffee that is coarsely ground, else you'll wind up with gritty coffee. Also, stir the coffee twice during steeping, once right away and a second time about a minute later; this helps the flavor by maximizing the surface area of the coffee grounds expose to the hot water.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
... They work everyday for a couple years....then get a new one....
There's your answer.

Keurig. Delongi. Mr Coffee. No Name Manufacturer.

If you make coffee every day, they all work well for about two years and then the heating element burns out.

I have switched brands each time.....have a Cuisinart now...and none last more than a couple of years. Planned obsolescence?

Don't know.

But I have learned not buy a "high end" coffee maker at higher cost because it doesn't last any better than el cheapo.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,756 times
Keurig, it's overrated and not worth the $$$. I'd never buy another. I basically use it now to heat water for tea if I'm pressed for time and do not use the cooktop kettle.

I recently made the Campbell's soup that came out for the Keurig, so gross. The other pods, such as apple cider, hot chocolate, even coffee; although name brand, do not taste the same as when you make it in a non-Keurig machine or on the stove top. The "My K-Cup" works okay, but still not the same. I'm not sold on Keurig, just a fad in my opinion.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:21 PM

113 posts, read 276,398 times
Just a standard drip-type maker here. Our only requirements are that it be programmable, have an auto-off feature, and brew 10-12 cups.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
I just bought a Mr. Coffee drip programmable for about $30 and I like it more than my $100 one from another brand which only lasted about 6 months.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,864,669 times
Have a Cuisinart that I inherited from parents. Only gripe is the carafe has thin glass and breaks easily. I have seen the S-S ones at Williams- Sonoma but kind of high. It works well. As I only drink about 3 cups in the morning. Then switch to iced tea.
A few years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on the Rancilio Silvia but the cost and deciding I didn't want to have the learning curve that it would take. I had done a LOT of research. I had gotten hooked on cappuccino while traveling in Italy and wanted to replicate that. I decided it wasn't worth the money .
When we have been other places with the K-cups, I haven't been impressed. Maybe just for one cup and certainly better than instant coffee.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
You know, I like that idea. I haven't used one in decades, but I like the simplicity and easy care and I don't drink much coffee, either. I am going to seriously think about switching to a Melita cone.
Well, that didn't take long. I just ordered one from Amazon. Looking forward to trying one for the first time since the 1960's. Thanks for the idea, NoMoreSnowForMe.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Ours is a Techniworm Moccamaster. Best coffeemaker we've ever had and lasted a long time which is good because they are pricey.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,685 times
I took the Hamilton coffee maker back today. It doesn't fit under the cabinet and was on the edge of the counter-top too~! When I did use it, the grinds ended up in the bottom of the pot. No wonder the coffee tasted awful. Right now I have no coffee maker. Originally, I switched to a Keurig because when I make a full pot and it sits for any length of time the taste isn't good anymore. I have no idea what type to get. I'll look at what ya all posted but most look like they are too tall to fit under the cabinet. I use to drink a lot of coffee but weaned away from it (I guess) when I got the Keurig because there are some strong brews that all you need (or I need) is one good cup of a strong one. Anyways, thanks for y'all post. Apparently, this turned into a "hot topic"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House