Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:28 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

IMHO, the only advantage of a Keurig coffee maker is the convenience, because they produce a cup of coffee that is--at best--mediocre, and frequently just plain awful. My current coffeemaker, a Bonavita, is one of the best ones that I have ever used, as it produces coffee that is very flavorful and is hotter than what most drip coffeemakers can deliver.

Each morning, I freshly grind some Pacific Rim coffee beans, fill my Bonavita with filtered water, and in about 5 minutes I can enjoy some fantastic coffee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I've had just about every kind of coffee maker over the years and after a brief time they end up collecting dust in the back of the pantry, my go to norm for coffee is a spoonful of instant coffee in a mug of hot water.
My last machine was a stovetop espresso machine that worked well but ultimately i couldnt be bothered with set up and then the cleaning of it, this one=
http://www.espressozone.com/media/ca...5/8/8/8855.jpg

Old 12-13-2015, 05:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Cool I did not know that about the Better Business Bureau I may just give them a call. Thank you for the info!
I thought the poster meant Bed, Bath and Beyond since they usually have a generous return policy.

Anyway, I had a Mr. Coffee until it died. After some research, I ended up purchasing a Hamilton Beach Two-Way Brewer. (Not the one that takes k-cups because that one many people complained that they had issues with the k-cup side. I got the one that takes a myriad of different types of pods.) I love this coffee maker because you can brew the carafe or a single cup/mug---and the single side you determine how much water you want. It's perfect for my husband and I because we work opposite shifts and depending on our schedules, we either brew the carafe or individual cups. The only downside is if you want to buy pods, you don't have as many options and they can be a PITA to find in a regular store. Ground coffee/pods/whatever as long as I get it.

Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer, Model# 49980Z - Walmart.com

Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
K cups pollute the earth and I was amazed they are so popular, but it goes to show you no one really cares. I have a French Press, I if I want more or less coffee it is no issue. I used to have Krups coffee machines when they were made in France, but now they are made in China and break all the time. I am done with the Chinese coffee makers. They are all junk. Enjoy.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
We have a Cuisinart coffee maker that I set up each night on automatic, because I am not a morning person and I want to stumble out of bed and go straight to a hot cup of coffee. If I could figure out how to hook up a coffee IV I'd do that but so far I'm stuck with a coffee maker with a timer on it!

I also have a french press that I often use if I want a cup of coffee in the afternoons. When I do all that, I grind my beans that very minute. But ain't nobody got time fo dat in the morning!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:07 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Cool I did not know that about the Better Business Bureau I may just give them a call. Thank you for the info!

Bed Bath & Beyond. If you buy one from them and something happens they will take it back and exchange for nothing. That's their policy.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 AM

331 posts, read 465,833 times
I had a Keurig for a year or two. To be precise, I had a series of Keurig coffee machines. All were bought from Costco. The first two were returned to Costco for refund/replacement when they malfunctioned. The third one, I returned to Costco because I was tired of creating piles of expensive plastic trash with those K cups and couldn't get the "My K Cup" thingie to make a good cup of coffee.

I replaced the Keurig eco-nightmare with a Bunn coffeemaker, five years ago this week. Mine is calibrated for high altitude use which means when the hot plate is turned on, the coffee in the carafe won't be heated to a boil. I've had zero problems with this coffeemaker and hope it lasts another five years. If I move to a lower altitude I'll buy another Bunn.

I also have a really cheapo little Mr. Coffee which I bought after returning the Keurig eco-nightmare and while shopping for a permanent replacement. I used it in a pinch when I broke the Bunn carafe and was waiting for the replacement to be delivered.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
I had a Keurig for a year or two. To be precise, I had a series of Keurig coffee machines. All were bought from Costco. The first two were returned to Costco for refund/replacement when they malfunctioned. The third one, I returned to Costco because I was tired of creating piles of expensive plastic trash with those K cups and couldn't get the "My K Cup" thingie to make a good cup of coffee.

I replaced the Keurig eco-nightmare with a Bunn coffeemaker, five years ago this week. Mine is calibrated for high altitude use which means when the hot plate is turned on, the coffee in the carafe won't be heated to a boil. I've had zero problems with this coffeemaker and hope it lasts another five years. If I move to a lower altitude I'll buy another Bunn.

I also have a really cheapo little Mr. Coffee which I bought after returning the Keurig eco-nightmare and while shopping for a permanent replacement. I used it in a pinch when I broke the Bunn carafe and was waiting for the replacement to be delivered.
They sure do pollute for no reason. Just use a French Press for goodness sake! Glad you got rid of that eco nightmare.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
I no longer drink coffee, because it interferes with a medication I currently take -- oh, how I miss it! -- but when I drank it, I used a French Press.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My wife prefers quality over quantity (I can't stand the stuff, too many years suffering from car-sickness while my parents drank coffee) so she has a couple different options.

The main/mostly used option is a Chemex:

But she also has a french press (more for Chai tea than anything else since buying the Chemex):

and an Espresso pot (with accompanying stainless milk frothier for lattes):

Then we have an electric kettle with digital temp display to hit the right temps for coffee and tea (which is my primary drink), and then I have a nice tea pot for loose-leaf brews.

Looking at upgrading her blade coffee grinder to a burr-type as that's really the final step to having complete control, but she already says that coffee at home is better than everything else she's had outside the home over the past 5~6 years.

She used to have a several-hundred dollar espresso machine, but it was more work for less quality than the manual system we use today (and yes, I do make some of her coffee...)

For whatever it's worth, her favorite bean/roasting company is Raven's Brew out of Alaska (Amazon sells it but it can be found in local stores all over the US, we buy it from Fresh Market here in Georgia).
French press for us for the past five or six years, but the Chemex is on my wish list this year.

French Press was a great step forward over drip machines we used over the years. Quick and easy, fantastic coffee (200 degree water, never boiling - having an electric kettle with presets solves that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House