Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We finally invested in a very good vacuum cleaner and I'm kicking myself for not having done this years ago!

For years we kept buying the cheaper Bissell type vacuum cleaners. They would do the job decently for about 5 years and then they would die... lose suction no matter how hard we tried to keep things clean and lubricated and change filters, etc.

Finally last month we ordered a Miele canister vacuum. We found it on Amazon on sale plus we had some Amazon credit, so we actually didn't spend too much on it ($275. and we got free shipping).

We narroed the search down to either the Miele or the Dyson, and due to longevity, warranty, and aesthetics (yes, the way it looks lol), we went with the Miele. Super glad we did.

We are so crazy happy with this vacuum. I don't even store it in the garage like I always did with our other vacuums. It's like a member of the family now - it sits next to the couch! lol

There are lots of videos on youtube about them in case anyone is curious. They are amazing. They pulled stuff out of our couch and rugs and nooks and crannies that the other vacuums never found in the many years of almost daily vacuuming (we have pets). OH and the second best thing we love about the Miele aside from how much it sucks (haha) - is how quiet it is!! You can vacuum and still talk and have a conversation while you are vacuuming. I wasn't expecting that at all.
Just bought one of those myself.

You're right. Should have done it years ago.

You don't mention the main reason to buy one - it is consistently ranked best for controlling indoor air pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Love my Shark Professional -- best vacuum ever. Although when it kicks the bucket, I will probably get a Miele -- I've always heard they were phenomenal!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I have a Rainbow that I bought WAY back in the dark ages (1983?) Yes, it still works quite well, actually even though it needed some repair work a few years back. I also have a little one but have no idea what brand it is.

The thing is, I haven't vacuumed in years. I really HATE to vacuum. But, my house does get vacuumed once a week-not by me. And I have no idea what brand she uses.

I'm wondering how many people have even HEARD of Rainbow vacuums.

Cat
I have a Rainbow! My hubby insists on calling it a Rexaire Rainbow. 99.75% of the time I love it. Love the concept of the water filter & it has really good suction. My only problem with it is the cord. While you would think that having a really long cord would be a good thing.....sometimes it gets in the way.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:25 PM

993 posts, read 767,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Without looking, can you tell me what brand your vacuum cleaner is?

I'm thinking about putting that question on a rental application and so I am wondering if that is something that most people know or that most people don't remember.

Of course, if you'd like to tell me what brand and whether or not you are happy with it, that would be nice, but mostly I'm wondering if it is a reasonable question.
I think it's an odd question and if I saw that question on a rental application I'd say "no thanks." I'd be concerned that I'd be renting from a controlling, instrusive person. Someone who isn't stable.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I think it's an odd question and if I saw that question on a rental application I'd say "no thanks." I'd be concerned that I'd be renting from a controlling, instrusive person. Someone who isn't stable.
Really? You would get that from a question on an application? Wow

I have two Hoovers (one for the carpets upstairs and one for the carpets downstairs), a Dyson rechargeable for the quick vacuum jobs and a Bissel canister vacuum for regular hardwoods and bathroom floor cleaning.

I will say, if I couldn't come up with the brand off the top of my head while filling out the application, I'd probably make it up. LOL. But I wouldn't think it was that odd.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Yes, I know what brand my vacuum cleaner is.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I bought a Simplicity in 2007, and I've never regretted it. It works great, and it is a good enough machine to have repaired if necessary. It is made in St. James, MO, USA. It is not as expensive as a Miehle, I think, but it is right up there.

If you ever have a chance to pick up a Simplicity second hand, do so, and have it serviced for more years of good service.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I have a Shark. I used to have a Hoover as well but it got ruined when my basement flooded I really miss my Hoover!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:57 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Really? You would get that from a question on an application? Wow

I have two Hoovers (one for the carpets upstairs and one for the carpets downstairs), a Dyson rechargeable for the quick vacuum jobs and a Bissel canister vacuum for regular hardwoods and bathroom floor cleaning.

I will say, if I couldn't come up with the brand off the top of my head while filling out the application, I'd probably make it up. LOL. But I wouldn't think it was that odd.
I think it's an odd question, too.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I have a Rainbow that I bought WAY back in the dark ages (1983?) Yes, it still works quite well, actually even though it needed some repair work a few years back. I also have a little one but have no idea what brand it is.

The thing is, I haven't vacuumed in years. I really HATE to vacuum. But, my house does get vacuumed once a week-not by me. And I have no idea what brand she uses.

I'm wondering how many people have even HEARD of Rainbow vacuums.

Cat
I had a Rainbow for about 20 years. I broke and I got it repaired. It lasted another 6 months and needed to be fixed again. After the $300 repair that didn't last I figured I would get something else.

If you asked me that on the application I probably would walk out because that seems like a landlord that I wouldn't want to be around and I vacuum a few times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House