Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 06:53 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times

Advertisements

Searched this deserving thread out and hoping for more additions.
The only thing I can add is I finally bought the Shark Navigator. It is definitely a good vacuum but I am on the fence whether it will be my long termer. I have both tile and wall to wall. I do like how easy it is to carry up and down the stairs but just not sure about the lift off feature. I think it takes some getting used to. But for the price, it's ok.
(trying to decide if going for the more $ models is worth it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 08:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
I haven't gotten one yet, but I am planning to do so in the next few weeks - a whole house generator. I live in coastal SC and we are now in hurricane season which runs from June 1st to November 30th. They are expensive and there are so many choices - ugh! But I know we'll be really glad we got one if our power goes out.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:36 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I haven't gotten one yet, but I am planning to do so in the next few weeks - a whole house generator. I live in coastal SC and we are now in hurricane season which runs from June 1st to November 30th. They are expensive and there are so many choices - ugh! But I know we'll be really glad we got one if our power goes out.
Have you considered getting by with a smaller generator? We rode out Matthew with a small generator which ran the refrigerator, freezer, TV, a few lamps, and a portable air conditioner. We cooked on the gas grill, and briefly unplugged the fridge to run the coffee pot or microwave. We did this for about 5 days, and it was really fine. Really, there is no need to be able to run the whole house at one time. Ours cost about $700. I think, instead of thousands $$.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
La Crosse Technology C85845 Color Wireless Forecast Station

We bought this one because the time is white. We ordered a different one at first and the company sent the wrong item. The time was green and we couldn't read it very easily. Not at all from the kitchen. Two weeks of Amazon A to Z and idiots at the company sending three attachments with the wrong return address for us (Some woman in Louisville with the same initials) later I finally got Amazon (after the biggest hassle I've ever had working with them) to refund our money. I'm donating that one since they didn't want it back.

If you decide to order one, or anything for that matter, from a company named AmBestSell - don't.

A caution. We've seen three of these and they all have the same problem. The "kickstand" on the back is set to flip out a certain distance with the assumption this is going to be on the floor.

Our friends have one on a table and propped up the stand so it leaned forward. I have ours on the top shelf of a pier and have it leaning waaay forward. To keep it from tipping I used a steel wedge that is made for splitting firewood and strapping tape. Makes it lean and the wedge is heavy(!) so it won't tip over.

We've found it to be accurate. It uses the atomic clock function so the time is always correct. You can run it using batteries or plug it in. Outside temperature function requires patience. You put the batteries in (included) and keep it inside for at least five minutes. Then take it outside and wait.

Now that we've had it a few days we definitely like it. It's good to know how hot it is in Las Vegas before you go out. Some days it's "no".

Old 09-03-2018, 10:48 AM

I am falling behind! This one I can't go into too much since it's my wife's new bedside clock/alarm/etc.

The last one from Westinghouse died after about 40 years. Well, not died, really. The alarm got flaky. 40 years!

She really likes it. Easy to use after some trial and error. It has "dials" for setting functions iirc.

It's big. Bigger than we expected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Seriously behind. All our 40 year-old stuff is dying. So she had to replace her mixer. Again, I don't use it, but she loves it!

Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM

Can't forget this. Read about it on CD in one of the Science forums. $90 and really great sound. Bought for the guest room because she plays her video games there often.

Visio soundbar. Apparently you can order other versions with sub woofer and speakers.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Seriously behind in this thread!

My wife found these. I do the laundry. Much better than having them come unhooked and grabbing things.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:05 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Can't forget this. Read about it on CD in one of the Science forums. $90 and really great sound. Bought for the guest room because she plays her video games there often.

Visio soundbar. Apparently you can order other versions with sub woofer and speakers.

I just bought the very same soundbar. Back in March I FINALLY retired my 30 year old console t.v. (yes, it still works but the pic is TERRIBLE). I find the volume of the new t.v. (a Sharp) doesn't go high enough on some shows.

Cat

Old 09-03-2018, 12:58 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Thanks for the updates folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House