Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 11:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a very cheap item no house should be without: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ght-63600.html. They are available all over but with that link they are very cheap. They have brighter ones that are called COB led flashlight; but they are a few dollars more. I also highly recommend the headlight LED flashlights since many of us have jobs to do in the dark; and using a bathroom in the dark it really helps to have light where we need it.

With the old style flashlights they never worked; either we would drop them and the bulb or switch would break. These newer lights are very durable even though they are so cheap. The batteries last much longer than the old incandescent flashlights that we used to use. I have them in my vehicles and all over my house; they are really great to have!
I have one of those. A client saw them on sale years ago and asked if anyone in the store if wanted one. He took a head count and sent one of the employees out to buy them. Handed them out to everyone. Good customer relations there.

And I have two of the headlamps. I use them constantly. I keep one in the house and one in the garage. No more holding a flashlight in my teeth. My recent dash cam work saw me with one on for the entire project. Do be careful about looking at someone directly when it's on because the light is very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
OT I cannot pull up the poster who had questions about drawer pull outs.

SO built ours to leave no wasted space. You can find pre fab ones on line or order at big box stores. Just an example https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...X33DJIQgjYI5wU

Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have one of those. A client saw them on sale years ago and asked if anyone in the store if wanted one. He took a head count and sent one of the employees out to buy them. Handed them out to everyone. Good customer relations there.

And I have two of the headlamps. I use them constantly. I keep one in the house and one in the garage. No more holding a flashlight in my teeth. My recent dash cam work saw me with one on for the entire project. Do be careful about looking at someone directly when it's on because the light is very bright.

I think it was about 8 years ago that I had bought several of them and then we had a power outage that lasted five days. The old flashlight would have been a nightmare to maintain for that length of time. As it was I was not replacing batteries in those original lights until years later. I have a few that are starting to have issues with the switch; but I have used them over and over again for many years. I really love these new lights! I think most of my older ones say "Metrix" on the side and I think I bought them from Tractor Supply. I have replaced some with the COB lights; but I do not feel the batteries last as long (but they are much brighter).

Old 10-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OT I cannot pull up the poster who had questions about drawer pull outs.

SO built ours to leave no wasted space. You can find pre fab ones on line or order at big box stores. Just an example https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...X33DJIQgjYI5wU
We gutted our kitchen and every lower cabinet has pull out drawers except the one for cutting boards, etc. Even the spice rack is pull out. The drawers in the pantry are pulls as well. No more hands and knees searching for us! Excuse the mess. These were taken in the middle of the rebuild.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:31 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
THank you for posting the details Threestep and Tekguy. I also have some but was just wondering if they were a particular brand that was easy to install (diy). I am thinking in our bathrooms we mostly vanity with doors, and although I might be replacing the vanities in time, I thought adding some sort of pull out or shelving in side could work and add functionality big time. (we are not very handy folk to do much ourselves so the easy ones get bonus points).
And yes, toilet paper is a great thing!

Old 10-23-2018, 06:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
THank you for posting the details Threestep and Tekguy. I also have some but was just wondering if they were a particular brand that was easy to install (diy). I am thinking in our bathrooms we mostly vanity with doors, and although I might be replacing the vanities in time, I thought adding some sort of pull out or shelving in side could work and add functionality big time. (we are not very handy folk to do much ourselves so the easy ones get bonus points).
And yes, toilet paper is a great thing!
Check Lowes/HD or whatever is in your area. They carry metal pull outs which are DYI, inexpensive and come in several configurations.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We gutted our kitchen and every lower cabinet has pull out drawers except the one for cutting boards, etc. Even the spice rack is pull out. The drawers in the pantry are pulls as well. No more hands and knees searching for us! Excuse the mess. These were taken in the middle of the rebuild.
I love those drawers! I'm hoping to redo my kitchen at some point and this is one of the main things I'd like to have. I have regular cabinets, but installed pull out drawer inserts inside of them, but they are no where near as nice as just having all drawers. If you don't open the doors far enough, you get scratches on the inside of them from pulling out the inside drawers.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:00 PM

You know what I'm not finding? Pull out drawers with drawer fronts. Seems odd. Remove the door and add a drawer with the face attached. No more smacking the door if it's not open far enough. I did find some door faces/fronts at Lowes, but apparently they are lined with gold.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Surfaces-10...ont/1000227429

For a 10" piece of unfinished wood. I think I should start a business.

I did this in our last house. Part of a remodel where we added a second sink and a full cabinet in the center. The bottom drawer was the center drawer over a sit down in the middle when there was just one sink. About 1 1/2" deep. The top u drawer I built. I told my wife I would clean it up and do some finish work on it, but she said it was fine as pictured. Okey doke! I forgot how old that flooring was.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,989 times
Thank you for this thread!!!!! I'm in the process of buying my first home, and am going from a 1 bed/1bath rental to a 2bed/1.5 bath co-op apartment (kind of like a condo). I need a bit more furniture, but also need a million other things - fun! I'm in the process of setting up all my shopping lists and this thread was great.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM

This morning I removed the mirror-based backup cam screen in the Sorento and installed a larger stand-alone instead. The mirror was too dark, especially at night. The suction cup was optional so I didn't get it, but I had one from a different unit that I figured out how to use. It hangs off the windshield just left of the steering wheel so it's not visually invasive. The fuse box is right below it so threading the wires was pretty easy.

I had a fuse box adapter from another item that I used and it really made a difference. The "L" shaped doohickeys at bottom right. Multiple sizes because of automaker differences.

Now we have our real mirror back.

https://www.amazon.com/LeeKooLuu-Mon...rds=B07CXTCKJ1

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House