Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 06:24 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

SO added pull outs between all those the builder had done in the kitchen cabinets. Adds 50% easy access storage with custom built dividers to four cabinets. Maybe one more but I have to shuffle things around first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 03:27 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,424,762 times
We (DH) decided not to try mounting the tv himself. He said he was told that the tv screens can crack easily so decided to have someone ELSE do it.
(we did purchase the TV and the mount with a credit card that does offer protection but I guess why risk it anyway).

Threestep-- wondering if you can share the actual brand or link to the pull outs?
thanks!

Old 10-20-2018, 03:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Toilet paper

Old 10-20-2018, 05:00 PM

25,457 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Advantimum (sp) oven. Put it where the microwave was above french door oven, It microwaves, bakes,convection, acts as a warming drawer, proofs bread. Other things I don't use. But they aren't cheap.

Other house had a warming drawer I never used as it was under oven. To me this new gadget is the best thing since sliced bread. Got rid of small countertop oven.

Hardly use the big oven anymore. Appliance dealer said some poeple are putting 2 of these in their homes instead of one and doing away with regualr oven. My regular oven looks so cool though with the french doors, upscale.
This has nothing to do with anything on this thread, but I just love your name, lol. Now I've got that little found a peanut song going around in my head.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pear tree.

I would not recommend the plum tree. It died.
Not Bradford pear, I hope. Those are evil. (More at this link.)

I had a Rachio Smart sprinkler control installed a couple of months ago. I LOVE that thing. It taps into the weather reports and doesn't run if there's been enough rain or a lot is predicted. I also programmed the zones so that each one gets a different treatment based on slope, what's growing on it and extent of sunlight. I put in those parameters- it set up the sprinkling routine and then adjusts it over the summer. Right now watering is shortened because it's cooler. I can run it from my phone if I'm traveling.

I have to admit my water bill increased because some areas get much more water than the old X-minutes per zone controller, but the lawn looks much better. Not perfect- I don't go for perfect- but fewer weeds and bare spaces.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:00 PM

524 posts, read 575,080 times
A Danco Disposal Genie, $10. It is this "strainer" thing that allows food to go down the garbage disposal, but won't let things like silverware to go down the drain. It doesn't get clogged like a traditional strainer. I had destroyed so many spoons and now I never have to stick my hand down there to make sure it is clear. I love it.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
The most recent things I bought for my house are mirrored doors for my guest room closets. Prior to replacing them, I had those louvered bi-fold wooden doors. In one of the rooms, the closet door broke and I had to take it off completely. Then I had guests here for a while, so they had to use the room with no closet doors at all - ugh! - because I didn't want to have workers here during their visit.

As soon as my guests left, I had the doors in both of my spare rooms replaced with sliding mirror doors. I just love them. I'm planning to remodel our master bedroom, master bath, and closet. When I do that, I am going to make sure to have some full length mirror doors in there, too.

Attaching a picture of what they look like in one of my rooms. I don't have a before picture, but they looked exactly like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masonite...8280/301619857
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??-mirror-door.jpg  

Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
^^Same here, it was a few months ago but paint and related supplies and other stuff to finish off our new Dolby 7.1 home theater room. We are vegging in style now!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:27 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Here is a very cheap item no house should be without: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...ght-63600.html. They are available all over but with that link they are very cheap. They have brighter ones that are called COB led flashlight; but they are a few dollars more. I also highly recommend the headlight LED flashlights since many of us have jobs to do in the dark; and using a bathroom in the dark it really helps to have light where we need it.

With the old style flashlights they never worked; either we would drop them and the bulb or switch would break. These newer lights are very durable even though they are so cheap. The batteries last much longer than the old incandescent flashlights that we used to use. I have them in my vehicles and all over my house; they are really great to have!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Not really for the house, but for our safety.

A backup cam, a dash cam, and a rear window dash cam for our Sorento. I'd been looking for dash cams for months but the ones I found that had hi-res video and great reviews were really expensive. I get Newegg emails and recently they had a dash cam I'd been eying on sale. A $270 cam for less than $70. Bought it!

Then I found a backup cam for a great price with excellent reviews. Bought it!

Newegg again for the rear cam. $150 cam for $30 and it came with the SD card, which is unusual. Bought it!

Installing was not at all difficult until I go to the rear cam.

Our cigarette lighters are all on even when the SUV is turned off and I only wanted the cams to run when the SUV was. I went looking and found a connection in the dome where the lights and switches are over the front seat. That allowed me to run wiring a short distance from the front cam, under the edge of the roof panel and about 8 inches to the connection.

The backup cam is wireless so I did the same. The wireless works great, but I had to futz with the location of the receiver a couple of times to stop some flashing. No big deal. Wired this cam to the reverse light wire in one of the tail lights. I had to drill a hole and add a screw there because every existing screw was run into plastic! No ground in plastic.

The rear cam was a pitb. I had two cheapies I got on sale and basically paid zero for them. I decided one of those would suffice for the rear view. I had to run a wire to the front of the vehicle to connect it to that same connection as the rest. That wasn't too difficult. It's door bell wire that is thin and stiff so shoving it under the edge of trim was easy. I only had to drill one hole in the trim at the back. I tied the ground into the same wire as the backup cam so that was a short run.

Hooked it all up, turned on the ignition and the cheapie started smoking. Rechecked all the connections, hooked up the other cheapie cam and got the same result. Smoke.

Back to square one. This is where I got lucky and received the $30 offer from Newegg. I connected it the same way and it works fine.

So now I have a very high-res video out the windshield and the rear window, and a back up cam.

All this because my wife can't see out the back of the SUV. I do get carried away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House