Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittsharley View Post
hes not a handyman/maintenance constructing IN the refineries.. thats stuff he does ont he side.. hes a pannel worker and operator etc for the refinery lol
There are 1000 people that apply when those jobs come open...as operator or 'boardman'. Dont move here until you get one. Our neighbors south of the border fill up most of the 'odd job/handiman' positions in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
There are 1000 people that apply when those jobs come open...as operator or 'boardman'. Dont move here until you get one. Our neighbors south of the border fill up most of the 'odd job/handiman' positions in the area.
This!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
You really do need to make a trip to Houston before you continue this quest from a distance. Shop around and find some cheap airfare, then come visit for a few days. I think after that, you will understand what we are all telling you. Until you do, I don't think you are going to get it.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 AM

39 posts, read 106,272 times
Hi, everyone is giving you great advice about coming and where to live...we just moved from NJ this past summer...I lived in Chery Hill and use to commute to the Newark airport....I thought the turnpike was a tough commute and hated it because it could take me a little over an hour or three hours depending on what happened that day on the turnpike. But when it was an hour I was MOVING at 70mph......My husband is seriously hating his commute here...we chose the Spring area which is just south of The Woodlands and he drives to the Galleria area....his commute home is a BEAST...he has only made it home in an hour one time and his average is 1 and a half the traffic is moving SLOWLY ....

I highly suggest living south which is closer to where you say work will be....And yes come visit...if you have never been here it is huge. You will like the newer houses here though. You can definitely get more house for your money vs Princeton area. (very beautiful place to live by the way....I miss my jersey peeps)

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM

28 posts, read 88,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffett View Post
Hi, everyone is giving you great advice about coming and where to live...we just moved from NJ this past summer...I lived in Chery Hill and use to commute to the Newark airport....I thought the turnpike was a tough commute and hated it because it could take me a little over an hour or three hours depending on what happened that day on the turnpike. But when it was an hour I was MOVING at 70mph......My husband is seriously hating his commute here...we chose the Spring area which is just south of The Woodlands and he drives to the Galleria area....his commute home is a BEAST...he has only made it home in an hour one time and his average is 1 and a half the traffic is moving SLOWLY ....

I highly suggest living south which is closer to where you say work will be....And yes come visit...if you have never been here it is huge. You will like the newer houses here though. You can definitely get more house for your money vs Princeton area. (very beautiful place to live by the way....I miss my jersey peeps)
I second that! My husband and I have also relocated from NJ last July (the best decision of our lives, by the way :-). The size of Houston is really much bigger than what it really looks like on the map. It’s the 4th (not the 6th as someone mentioned before) largest city in the country and we were going through the same problem of trying to pin point where would be the best place for us to start off from. It is extremely difficult to make these decisions on your own, especially if you don’t really know anyone (like us) and just make such a bold move to go across the country to a brand new place.

I work around the Greenway plaza and it was important for us to decide where to live so that it’s not too far, the place is decent (not too old and obscure) and also in a good neighborhood. We decided to rent around the Galleria area in a pretty new apartment complex and have been very happy with our choice of place. (it’s about 15min away from my job and 20min for my husband who goes against the traffic, towards Sugar Land). Again, for the newcomers in my opinion, living in Galleria was the best decision that we made. It is pretty central (obviously, there are probably better places if you need to be closer to the refineries). We recently purchased a house in the Pearland area around 288 and we have always kept in mind possibility of working in different parts of the city, including downtown, and figured that the Pearland area works for us the best. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
okay.. hmm so to answer some questions... hes coming on a K1 visa.. not as a visitor.. wanna do it right!!! LOL

as for the refineries.. narrowing it down to get better areas to live.. let me know what ya all think.....
there are refineries in Houston, Deer park, Pasadena, Baytown, & Beaumont.. within these 5 locations there are 6 refineries.. leaving out texas city, corpus christi and port arthur.....
East Houston, Deer Park, Pasadena, Baytown, Texas City you could live in the Clear Lake area, all of those are about 25-30 minutes away. Get a job first and then situate yourself because the Clear Lake area is quite spread out. Also Deer Park is a quaint community, but it is backed up to the plants (which is a dealbreaker for me).

If you're going to look for work in Beaumont, might as well look in Port Arthur where there are 3 refineries essentially next to each other with a combined output of over 1 million bbl/day pretty soon. Both towns are about 1.5 hrs/90 miles from Houston (on average). There are some nice places to live there but overall, that whole Golden Triangle area is a depressing hellhole (unless you're from there).

Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,506 times
The Heights ( zip 77007, 77008)

Oak Forest / Garden Oaks ( zip 77018)

Meyerland/ Willow something.....near Meyer land

Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 AM

16 posts, read 24,654 times
Thank you so much for the private message.. i was not able to send a reply for some reason.. the site kept kicking me out.. but i REALLY appreciate everything you said being a refinery worker yourself!... hes checking out the link you provided and im on the hunt for the locations suggested!..
MAJOR HELP.. to everyone!. THANK YOU!
i cant make the trip to texas before hand which was making me nuts!.. my scheduale is pretty tight and finances not there at the moment.. thats why Google EARTH is my best friend and you guys are majorly helpful!.. i have a bunch of realestate apps on my ipad that show me the towns that everyone suggested and it lists all the rentals... which is really helpful!.. i wantt o clear up the fact that i may have come across as snobby with allt he things i wanted.. nice areas etc.. but i just want a nice area to live with little to no crime like everyone else.. possibly not breathing on my neighbors so that when i start up the harley in the morning.. noones gonna get pissed off lol.. any nice roads i can be riding on by next year??? hows the weather there year round?? fun places to go??? popular hangouts???

thanks once again everyone

Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 AM

16 posts, read 24,654 times
well hes got things rolling wiht Shell transfer.. and that is his choice to move to Texas not mine.. he wants to be near the most oil refineries possible and texas won that... nothign for him that he wants to do in jersey.. he loves his oil job!.. so i dont get the choice despite what ya all are saying .. trust me.. I GET IT.. but he doesnt.. it scares me to death that he wants to go to Texas blind.. but its what he wants to do. cant change a determined mans mind.. and i send him EVERYTHING ya all send.
but thanks for your concern.
and i will keep ya all posted wthi what ends up happening!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 AM

25 posts, read 72,711 times
Quote:
p.s. just looking into sugarland.. lots of houses there for rent with yards.. so tehres a possibility.. how far is it to an oil refinery and which one? and midtown didnt offer but 2 places to rent,, so im thinking that might be a little more difficult to find something on the quick.. but i'll keep an eyes on the area! thanks for the input people the more the better and the more i can research.. it really helps to get peoples opinions.. so once again THANKS.. keep them coming!
It would be crazy to consider Sugar Land if working is a Houston area refinery. I lived in Sugar Land on on occassion had to drive to the ExxonMobil Baytown refinery and that often took well more than an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston