Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 PM

16 posts, read 24,663 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone...my finace' is moving to this country from Australia. I'm right now in jersey.. We're packing up my storage unit and Re driving to Huston area.. Never been there. Scared to death going in blind with so much on our plates...ie: getting married with in 3 months and working visas and all the added stuff.. It's making my head spin.. Soooooo I need to know the nicest areas to be in so he can commute to some ugly oil refinery.. I hate industrial.. I live in Prineton yet I'm not a snob lol but like tree lined developments. Houses are kept with pride, family friendly, and since I'm a female... I like my convenience of nearby shopping but not having it as part as my view outside my window. Traveling about a half hour to 40 minutes to a refinery.. Renting at first.. Would prefer a house with a yard I have a small Pom pup who is making the journey with us. At a monthly rent of about.....let's see.. Hmmm he said 2k. I say 1.3k. So up to 1,300 a month to start off with. No more. Gotta start somewhere.. But I like new, clean. And safe..

Can anyone offer me a birds eye view into the area.
It would be soon greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 PM

101 posts, read 371,055 times
First question is always where exactly is work. Everything else follows the answer to that.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,795 times
Sugarland. Won't get a yard for $1300 though.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
live in midtown, 30 minutes to the 'ugly' refineries which pay your so's wages.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 AM

lol im not sure what So's wages means.. but im having a feeling that someones a refinery worker lol... hey im not knocking the field at all! its a great job, and my fiance LOVES IT! hes a worker.. but hes also like me and wants to live in a nice area.. he at the present works in Geelong in AU.. and travels about 35 m inutes away and lives in a great house in a great community.. thats all im looking for.. not near the industrial areas...when he getrs here.. he wnt be wroking right away until visas allow it.. so we'll be in limbo until then.. he has many applications for valero, and one for SHELL which is wehre he presently works but they dont do over seas transfers.. i see there are a few refineries in Texas which is why we chose texas.. theres one in san antonio which is nice, but there are more near Hustone which is why im choosing this location.. how far is woodland from the refineries? too far??? 'll be looking up Midtown but owndered if there are other oil refinery workers on here that could share what their commutes are like and such..So an exact refinery location isnt known as of yet.. which is what is making me crazy! ive been on a few real estate sites that show me many places but they should have something that will tell you what is 30 minutes away and 40 minutes away.. i have yet to find one of them.
thanks for everyones input.. keep it coming.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 AM

p.s. just looking into sugarland.. lots of houses there for rent with yards.. so tehres a possibility.. how far is it to an oil refinery and which one? and midtown didnt offer but 2 places to rent,, so im thinking that might be a little more difficult to find something on the quick.. but i'll keep an eyes on the area! thanks for the input people the more the better and the more i can research.. it really helps to get peoples opinions.. so once again THANKS.. keep them coming!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,928 times
I'd say Clear Lake & Friendswood, even parts of League City are nice

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,383 times
Before you or he does ANYTHING he needs to have a Visa in place (and they are not easy to come by). You cannot come here on a visitor visa for example then apply for a job. What has he done with reference to this?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,290,932 times
Clear lake.....Sugar Land would be a hard commute

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
I noticed you mentioned the Woodlands. NO! Way too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston