Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM

157 posts, read 316,706 times

Advertisements

Houston. The beauty, the magnificience, the wonder. Who cannot admire it to all else on Earth? We Texans and other humans are drawn to Houston outside our control.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM

157 posts, read 316,706 times
I sent my secretary's mother to Houston for treatment for lung cancer and she came back fit as fiddle. I won't forget that.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM

160 posts, read 311,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
The Art Car Parade is pretty cool actually, but showing thousands of people at church didn't help the cause.
lol, I've never been to Houston so I can't make a judgment on it either way but you're right pictures of grey hairs sitting around a pond, fireworks, and a giant church aren't exactly exciting.

The Rodeo looks insane though, carry on Houstonians

Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
lol, I've never been to Houston so I can't make a judgment on it either way but you're right pictures of grey hairs sitting around a pond, fireworks, and a giant church aren't exactly exciting.

The Rodeo looks insane though, carry on Houstonians
Seems like a rather condescending post.

"Never been?"

I wouldn't let one picture of "grey hairs" (as if grey hairs don't exist in SoCal or South Florida or NY) and such make a judgment of H-town, lol.

As I've captured with my own camera, Houston is HARDLY the "2nd most boring" city...let alone even a "boring" city. If Houston is boring, places like LA, San Diego, Atlanta and such are boring...and such judges of what is "exciting" or whatever are the types who probably need the entire New York Metro (with Vegas and South Beach, for good measure) shoved up their rectums to have genuinely anal urban "fun" and "excitement."

What Houston supposedly lacks in traditional "density" (a word that sends anal urbanists into such orgasmic frenzy), Houston sure has it in regional versatility and varying streetscapes. (You realistically won't find a Richmond Avenue format in NYC or Chicago...i.e. wide street with huge, open sky patio decks...but for a change of scenery, Houstonians can opt to enjoy classic wide sidewalks and tall buildings in downtown when doing some nightlife ala NYC or Chicago.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADImD8dkXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMSSl...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LE7V...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxgZ...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDa7...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyGEy...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s03m...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChlO...hannel&list=UL

Last edited by worldlyman; 04-19-2012 at 04:27 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,061 times
I might add, to the Anal Urbanist snobs and effetes, places like NYC and Miami are absolutely vanilla and pansy compared to the raw urbanity of cities I've visited in the Philippines such as Manila and Cebu.

That alone puts it in perspective for me. Houston, 4th largest city and one of America's most diverse and always-evolving is "boring?" ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha. Houston has that nice BALANCE of livability and entertainment that is not very common elsewhere.

A place like Miami lacks that broad Asian nightlife that Houston has. Something like South Beach only holds so much appeal after awhile.

Last edited by worldlyman; 04-19-2012 at 04:33 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post

"Never been?"

I wouldn't let one picture of "grey hairs" (as if grey hairs don't exist in SoCal or South Florida or NY) and such make a judgment of H-town, lol.

As I've captured with my own camera, Houston is HARDLY the "2nd most boring" city...let alone even a "boring" city. If Houston is boring, places like LA, San Diego, Atlanta and such are boring...and such judges of what is "exciting" or whatever are the types who probably need the entire New York Metro (with Vegas and South Beach, for good measure) shoved up their rectums to have genuinely anal urban "fun" and "excitement."

What Houston supposedly lacks in traditional "density" (a word that sends anal urbanists into such orgasmic frenzy), Houston sure has it in regional versatility and varying streetscapes. (You realistically won't find a Richmond Avenue format in NYC or Chicago...i.e. wide street with huge, open sky patio decks...but for a change of scenery, Houstonians can opt to enjoy classic wide sidewalks and tall buildings in downtown when doing some nightlife ala NYC or Chicago.).

Downtown HOUSTON - July 2, 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON - Washington Ave 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON - Midtown 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON-Montrose August 27, 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON - Rice Village 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON-Kemah Lighthouse-Bay Nightlife 2011.mpg - YouTube

Richmond Avenue 2012 - YouTube

HOUSTON panorama from Westpark Tollway - YouTube
Dude, Richmod Ave is not that impressive. It is known more for its massage parlors than restaurants. I do like Richmond Ave, but not until you get way out past 610 where you find all the good ethnic restaurants.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Dude, Richmod Ave is not that impressive. It is known more for its massage parlors than restaurants. I do like Richmond Ave, but not until you get way out past 610 where you find all the good ethnic restaurants.
You're about 17 years late on Richmond ave, it used to be the spot to be.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,350 times
A colleague from NYC was in town (Texas as well) this week for the first time and was absolutely shocked that it wasn't 100F, raining, with horses and tumbleweeds! IKYN. This, from a seasoned professional! (Who apparently doesn't Google places before she visits them for the first time. That's another subject.) As much as I love living in Houston we need to do some things to turn the flawed perceptions around.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
A colleague from NYC was in town (Texas as well) this week for the first time and was absolutely shocked that it wasn't 100F, raining, with horses and tumbleweeds! IKYN. This, from a seasoned professional! (Who apparently doesn't Google places before she visits them for the first time. That's another subject.) As much as I love living in Houston we need to do some things to turn the flawed perceptions around.
You cant change people perceptions ,no more than most people think there are people ready to mug you in NYC the moment you get off the plane, or that everybody in L.A wants to be a movie star.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post

"Never been?"

Downtown HOUSTON - July 2, 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON - Washington Ave 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON - Midtown 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON-Montrose August 27, 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON - Rice Village 2011 - YouTube

HOUSTON-Kemah Lighthouse-Bay Nightlife 2011.mpg - YouTube

Richmond Avenue 2012 - YouTube

HOUSTON panorama from Westpark Tollway - YouTube

No offense, but these videos don't make Houston look that exciting, versatile, or special. There are other cities that have similar streetscapes and patio bars, that is nothing unique to Houston. I mostly see lots of aimless cruising and driving around.

I will say that I don't think Houston is boring, but it is a hard city to know and figure out if you do not have someone from there guiding you and showing you around. It's not like an NYC or Chicago where it's easy to walk around wide swaths of the city to take in the sights and sounds. That's fine, Houston is Houston. It's not NYC, Chicago, LA, or Dallas. Luckily, when I lived in Texas, I knew enough people in Houston to take me around and show me the interesting parts of town.

As someone who has parents who live in one of the biggest tourist traps in the world, (Las Vegas), I hope and pray that Houston never turns into something like that. If Houston were to be a more interesting and appealing city for visitors and residents alike, a city like Vegas or Orlando are great models on what not to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston