Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes, Miami is Southern.
Every city in the Midwest is more "Southern" (culturally) than Miami.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every city in the Midwest is more "Southern" (culturally) than Miami.
My family and friends born and raised in Miami believe they are Southerners. So unless they've been lied to for over 7 decades worth of generations, Miami is a Southern city. It has always been a Southern city. It only became popular with Latin America after Latin America MOVED there. Miami was a black and white town up until the 1960s. Same as Houston was until the 1980s. If Miami isn't Southern, neither is Houston.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
To each his own, I guess. I just thought it was kind of childish to dig up some old article so you could take one last jab at Houston before you "backed out the front door." Then you said you were moving on to "greener pastures" as if Seattle was some kind of utopia. I can agree with the summers here and wish they were more temperate myself. But I have had friends take the plunge from Houston to Seattle only to find themselves begging for sunlight and sick of what transplants there call the "Seattle Freeze."
Um, if you read my original post, I didn't realise it was an older article until later. It was being aired on the news last week, so that's how I found out about it. If anyone is digging up old articles, it's the local news! I personally don't care to dig up anything to just slam Houston and I'm definitely not taking one last jab because I'm leaving. I don't HATE Houston, I've just grown tired of it and moving on to somewhere that better fits me. I don't see why that's a problem for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM

69 posts, read 204,957 times
Houston and boring don't belong in the same sentance! It's tough for me to figure out what to do next. Here are the real facts about H-town you should know:

Houston is one of few U.S. cities with resident companies in all four major
performing arts — drama, ballet, opera and orchestra.

Not into the Arts how about some outdoor action.

Clear Lake area is considered to be the nation’s third coast for boating, with one of the greatest concentrations of sailboats, yachts and pleasure craft in the United States.

No sealegs? There is a 345-mile bikeway network spanning across the city and providing access to 500,000 square miles throughout Houston.

City parks offer 95 more miles of hike and bike and nature trails.

Even if you wanted to slow your roll and just sit and watch time fly it would take years off of your life if you went to see all of the free concerts, movies, plays and other events held in Harris County and City of Houston parks alone.

There are more than 65,076 acres waiting for you to visit.

Not to mention Houston's metro area's 145 plus, public and private golf courses, countless tennis courts, basketball courts, playing fields.

Real sports lovers know that Houston reigns, as a city for attracting the big time major sporting events.

It has hosted the 2004 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
Super Bowl XXXVIII
2005 World Series
the 2005 Big 12 Football Championship
the 2006 NBA All-Star Game
the Tennis Masters Cup in 2003 and 2004
the 2010 MLS All-Star game
the road to the final four including the 2011 NCAA Final Four

With that much action available how in the world can you be bored.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Give me a boring city where you can have a good quality of life and have the ability to save money over a city where you need to be rich (or on welfare) to enjoy and is filled with power-hungry d-bags any day of the week, (IE the area where I currently live in).

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 04-16-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writeonbro View Post
Houston and boring don't belong in the same sentance! It's tough for me to figure out what to do next. Here are the real facts about H-town you should know:

Houston is one of few U.S. cities with resident companies in all four major
performing arts — drama, ballet, opera and orchestra.

Not into the Arts how about some outdoor action.

Clear Lake area is considered to be the nation’s third coast for boating, with one of the greatest concentrations of sailboats, yachts and pleasure craft in the United States.

No sealegs? There is a 345-mile bikeway network spanning across the city and providing access to 500,000 square miles throughout Houston.

City parks offer 95 more miles of hike and bike and nature trails.

Even if you wanted to slow your roll and just sit and watch time fly it would take years off of your life if you went to see all of the free concerts, movies, plays and other events held in Harris County and City of Houston parks alone.

There are more than 65,076 acres waiting for you to visit.

Not to mention Houston's metro area's 145 plus, public and private golf courses, countless tennis courts, basketball courts, playing fields.

Real sports lovers know that Houston reigns, as a city for attracting the big time major sporting events.

It has hosted the 2004 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
Super Bowl XXXVIII
2005 World Series
the 2005 Big 12 Football Championship
the 2006 NBA All-Star Game
the Tennis Masters Cup in 2003 and 2004
the 2010 MLS All-Star game
the road to the final four including the 2011 NCAA Final Four

With that much action available how in the world can you be bored.
No question that from a residential standpoint it is not boring. The original article came at it from a tourist standpoint. While putting Houston in the top 10 was silly (and as I said earlier, same is true of most of the cities on the list), from a tourist standpoint it definitely is not on the top of the exciting must visit city list either.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Give me a boring city where you can have a good quality of life and have the ability to save money over a city where you need to be rich (or on welfare) to enjoy and is filled with power-hungry d-bags any day of the week, (IE the area where I currently live in).

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Um, if you read my original post, I didn't realise it was an older article until later. It was being aired on the news last week, so that's how I found out about it. If anyone is digging up old articles, it's the local news!
The local news must really have been slow that day. Not only did they dig up an older article, but did they (or you) even bother to look at it? It's by some random, anonymous blogger named "chili". Apparently anyone can get on that site and write whatever they want. What are "chili's" qualifications for journalistic writing or research? Has "chili" even been to any of these places? "Chili" could be a bored teenager for all we know.

Read what "chili" wrote about the cities, for example:

"Unless you are an avid cyclist, hiker or museum buff, the boredom may hit your senses quite quickly in Oslo."

Okay... so maybe not so boring after all?

How embarrassing for the local news, whatever outfit it was, to dig this rubbish up and report it as news.

Quote:
I personally don't care to dig up anything to just slam Houston and I'm definitely not taking one last jab because I'm leaving.
Hmm...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
It was on ABC13. I posted it because it was borderline crazy/funny. However, some of the items mentioned do ring true.

This IS a Houston forum after all and it has to do with Houston - good or bad.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
This IS a Houston forum after all and it has to do with Houston - good or bad.
Sure. However when the article/list/source is as bad (meaning poor quality) as that one was, or if something's not legit, expect it to get criticism here. Same would likely happen in any other city forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston