Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,237 times

Advertisements

Well, I grew up with In N' Out. Fries are just home made so not all that. I prefer the cajun fries from five men.

Burger is like home made. It is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Why? There's nothing special about In N' Out, and their fries are horrible.

I tried them to see what all the hype was about. It's just a plain, basic burger.

If you want a burger worth missing, stop by Fuddrucker's. That's a great burger.

I think Californians just miss what was in California, regardless of how good it was. They just miss reminders of home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM

73 posts, read 141,323 times
In and Out has a good burger, if you get the Animal-Style burger. The fries take some getting used to, but overall a good place for a burger and fries. However, I still miss a good What-A-Burger with jalapenos. Oh, and I will give a +1 to 5 Guys because they have one meaty burger that is hard to beat.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
In and Out has a good burger, if you get the Animal-Style burger. The fries take some getting used to, but overall a good place for a burger and fries. However, I still miss a good What-A-Burger with jalapenos. Oh, and I will give a +1 to 5 Guys because they have one meaty burger that is hard to beat.
Forget that In-N-Out burger...head to the Embarcadero and try Hillstones...formally known as Houston's Restaurant...same owner and same menu. Also try The Cask Wine and Cheese Bar in San Carlos...both places have the best burger and fries that you can find in the Bay Area.

I wish we had Whataburger here The only fast food burger I will eat.

I also wish we had Tex Mex and good ole Texas BBQ with all the yummy sides!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Now, if you were posting this in one of the California forums you'd be getting "quit your whining...if you miss Texas so much, why don't you go back? You call it the Great State of Texas so what are you doing here in irresponsible California? BTW - Tex-Mex food sucks. Whataburger is an upgraded McDonalds. Go back to Texas.".

I'm kidding...sort of. At the very least, you know that people would be thinking all that even if they didn't post it.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
I get the comparison to Whataburger and other fast food, but Five Guys and similar are at a different price-point. For the money, In-and-Out is not only tasty- - it is a deal.

....also a big fan of Steak n' Shake.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Now, if you were posting this in one of the California forums you'd be getting "quit your whining...if you miss Texas so much, why don't you go back? You call it the Great State of Texas so what are you doing here in irresponsible California? BTW - Tex-Mex food sucks. Whataburger is an upgraded McDonalds. Go back to Texas.".

I'm kidding...sort of. At the very least, you know that people would be thinking all that even if they didn't post it.
Actually I have posted my own threads in the CA forum asking where I could find Texas style BBQ as well as Tex Mex.

No one got out of hand when I asked. And they did not know what Tex Mex was. One Houston transplant said he had been out here for 25 years and had not found either one. I have been out here for 2.5 and so far he is spot on

Back to In-N-Out burger. It is very underwhelming. I would rather pay 6-8$ more for a Houston's hamburger and fries. I can honestly say I will never eat at one again. Trying it 2 times at different locations with the same disappointing outcome is all I need to put that curiosity to rest.

Last edited by TVC15; 06-06-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM

109 posts, read 141,041 times
Quote:
Forget that In-N-Out burger...head to the Embarcadero and try Hillstones...formally known as Houston's Restaurant...same owner and same menu. Also try The Cask Wine and Cheese Bar in San Carlos...both places have the best burger and fries that you can find in the Bay Area.

although i do agree about houston's, i dont agree with the comparison...that's like comparing a hyundai to an aston martin...completely different caliber of restaurant, firstly, and completely different caliber of food...

with that said, i would take an in-n-out burger over a what-a-burger anyday

Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Actually I have posted my own threads in the CA forum asking where I could find Texas style BBQ as well as Tex Mex.

No one got out of hand when I asked. And they did not know what Tex Mex was. One Houston transplant said he had been out here for 25 years and had not found either one. I have been out here for 2.5 and so far he is spot on

Back to In-N-Out burger. It is very underwhelming. I would rather pay 6-8$ more for a Houston's hamburger and fries. I can honestly say I will never eat at one again. Trying it 2 times at different locations with the same disappointing outcome is all I need to put that curiosity to rest.
As always, I think it's in the way you approach/ask/write something and if people are sick of hearing about it (TexMex or INO), they'll let you know.

Never had TexMex either when I was out in CA and I looked for it (having lived in SA for 8 yrs before CA). But, after having 15 yrs of CA Mex food, I definitely prefer it to TexMex. To me, the CA version is much closer in taste to food I've had in MX.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
I've had TexMex in CA in Huntington Beach at a place called Marios in the 5 Points Shopping Center. The guacamole was from a mix of some kind rather than fresh, but otherwise it was the same thing.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
As always, I think it's in the way you approach/ask/write something and if people are sick of hearing about it (TexMex or INO), they'll let you know.

Never had TexMex either when I was out in CA and I looked for it (having lived in SA for 8 yrs before CA). But, after having 15 yrs of CA Mex food, I definitely prefer it to TexMex. To me, the CA version is much closer in taste to food I've had in MX.
Dude, California has CalMex. It's Cali's version of mexican food like Texas' TexMex. You can still find good Mexican food in either, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston