Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM

285 posts, read 568,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Why is it okay to be my neighbor today in Cinco Ranch... but fear living near the same person I was 12 years ago in a cheap apartment?
It isn't you specifically that your neighbors fear, it's that there's a much greater chance of having someone worth fearing moving into an $85k house versus a $200k house. There's almost always a direct correlation between crime and income levels. The more cheap housing nearby, the more likely that a criminal element will take root and fester in the area, accelerating its demise.

One of my neighbors has an $800k house but there are shady people coming and going at all hours with police converging on the house weekly. Trash exists at all levels, but the lower on the socioeconomic totem pole you go the more likely you are to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
It isn't you specifically that your neighbors fear, it's that there's a much greater chance of having someone worth fearing moving into an $85k house versus a $200k house. There's almost always a direct correlation between crime and income levels. The more cheap housing nearby, the more likely that a criminal element will take root and fester in the area, accelerating its demise.

One of my neighbors has an $800k house but there are shady people coming and going at all hours with police converging on the house weekly. Trash exists at all levels, but the lower on the socioeconomic totem pole you go the more likely you are to find it.
The funny part is that you people believe you have your anecdotal surface level explanations about society down to some sort of pseudo-science. It's hilarious.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
And those structural problems are of course because of the poor right and their shiftless ways? Apparently, they lack that moral ethic that upstanding people in good communities have, eh?

Gimme a break. No wonder nothing can get done in this country when we have yahoos such as yourself that the problems are mostly cultural, moral or because of a lack of personal initiative.

Go listen to Glen Beck.
Clearly politics is a comfort zone for you but it's tangential to the discussion, or at least the discussion I'm participating in. My point is simply that the neighborhood will deteriorate with time and by "deteriorate" I mean it will slide down the economic ladder, driving property values down.

Not once did I say that poor people "lack that moral ethic" that the current crop of people residing in Cinco Ranch have. However it is statistically undeniable that as the income levels in South Katy decline, crime will tend to go up, and property values will decrease. As a result the area as a whole will become less desirable. There are hundreds of square miles of Houston to prove my point.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The funny part is that you people believe you have your anecdotal surface level explanations about society down to some sort of pseudo-science. It's hilarious.
I can't speak for the rest of "you people" but I'm just pandering to my audience.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
Clearly politics is a comfort zone for you but it's tangential to the discussion, or at least the discussion I'm participating in. My point is simply that the neighborhood will deteriorate with time and by "deteriorate" I mean it will slide down the economic ladder, driving property values down.

Not once did I say that poor people "lack that moral ethic" that the current crop of people residing in Cinco Ranch have. However it is statistically undeniable that as the income levels in South Katy decline, crime will tend to go up, and property values will decrease. As a result the area as a whole will become less desirable. There are hundreds of square miles of Houston to prove my point.
But why do you think that is? Clearly, your comfort is thinking that you didn't make a political statement and that your observation is akin to common sense (which is typical). Sorry bub, but you can claim that you're apolitical and just presenting the facts but you're pandering to your audience alright....which are sitting to my right.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Move to Houston chat thread...

Come on now... you need to move your discussion to the Houston Chat thread.... your conversations and points are interesting, but have moved way off topic. You know who you are.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Fair enough. But isn't the topic about class?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Most of the area south of I10 is now developed, or planned, so that leaves only the north side of I10 for development, especially the areas close to the Grand Parkway. I see much more master-planned communities that will undoubtedly out-do the south just as the south out-did the north. There is more growth potential south of I10 towards Brookshire, but the same is true for the north side, plus the north side also has the airport which will also develop and include passenger service at some point in the future.

And it is true that with the higher density/affluence in certain areas inside Loop 610, and reverse white-flight, the displacement will cause those people to move out to Katy where the kids will attend the "better" schools. What will happen is that all that is "good" in south Katy will become diluted... housing and schools. It's just a cycle that repeats itself in every city after decades.
I'm not sure how the Grand Parkway corridor north of IH 10 is going to play out. Sure there's land, and sure it's within Katy and Cy-Fair ISDs, but if you're in the first set of communities that go out there, it means you might be zoned to Morton Ranch or Cy Springs high schools. Would you be willing to pay $250K for a house zoned to one of those two institutions, where, you know, "those kids" attend? I'm not sure you could build a masterplanned community with the full set of amenities if you can only sell homes under $200K.

Maybe developers can finagle school zoning to Cy Ranch or Katy HS. But that might be a stretch in some parts.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm not sure how the Grand Parkway corridor north of IH 10 is going to play out. Sure there's land, and sure it's within Katy and Cy-Fair ISDs, but if you're in the first set of communities that go out there, it means you might be zoned to Morton Ranch or Cy Springs high schools. Would you be willing to pay $250K for a house zoned to one of those two institutions, where, you know, "those kids" attend? I'm not sure you could build a masterplanned community with the full set of amenities if you can only sell homes under $200K.

Maybe developers can finagle school zoning to Cy Ranch or Katy HS. But that might be a stretch in some parts.
"Those kids" like my daughter, who is in orchestra, all pre-AP classes, makes straight A's, and lives in a neighborhood that has homes in that price range? Whatever, dude. Morton Ranch isn't perfect, but it isn't the ghetto school you guys think it is. I'll admit I was worried to send my daughter to the junior high, but I've been extremely impressed with the staff and most students. The Fine Arts Dept. has been wonderful. My friends whose kids have gone through the high school say the same thing.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
is that mason park dr horton development any good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston